back to article Edge, Azure and Windows Phone receives a Telegram. Yup, it's the week at Microsoft

There was more to Microsoft last week than the launch of a little brother for the Surface Pro. Here are some of the stories you may have missed amid the fondleslab furore. Web Authentication in Edge Microsoft's attempts to get people to use its unloved Edge browser continued with support for the Candidate Recommendation (CR) …

1. Waseem Alkurdi

The increasingly exclusive club of Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and 10 users can grab the update now.

That accounts to five Telegram users.

Really. Why does Telegram support (aka giva a fuck about) W10P? Now that not even Daddy M$ pays out anybody to write for it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The increasingly exclusive club of Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and 10 users can grab the update now.

You never head of "security by obscurity" ?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The increasingly exclusive club of Windows Phone 8, 8.1 and 10 users can grab the update now.

Telegram seem to be fairly incompetent on all Windows platforms to be honest. They have separate apps in the Windows Store for desktop and mobile.

An alternative is Unigram which has a single Telegram compatible app available in the Windows Store for Xbox One, Desktop, Mobile, Hololens, and Hub.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

The Register has yet to get its talons on a Surface Go, although initial reports seem promising (unless you are a gamer). However, with the thing scoring a 1 out of 10 for repairability, you'd best not drop it.

Isn't that the whole point of the Surface line?

To provide users with slabs that are supposed to last until the battery dies or the screen cracks, whichever comes first, then get thrown in the nearest closed drawer, and get the next shiny-shiny? No repair, no real life span (especially with the measly Pentium 4415Y that won't last anything (as opposed to my claim of 10 years of use (with SSD of course )for a typical business-grade laptop if the user only drops it occasionally and only does Average Joe stuff?

Shame.

3. cdrcat
    Flame

Sad owner of a Surface 3 tablet here

I have boycotted Microsoft hardware: the screen cracked due to a bike fall, and it was expensive to fix: but even worse the screen now randomly taps in one corner... Also when plugging in an iPhone, it power cycles the USB every 2 seconds, which means that I can't download photos for backup. The touch user interface is improved since Windows 8.0, but continuously has usability issues from the minor to a variety of show stoppers (require power off/on to workaround).

The only advantage is that I can run my dev VMs so I can support my code while travelling, using a light "laptop" that no one at the office wants, so if it is stolen or busted while on holiday overseas then no one cares!!!

1. Locky

Re: Sad owner of a Surface 3 tablet here

"Also when plugging in an iPhone, it power cycles the USB every 2 seconds"

That is a fully supported feature. Have you tried a Windows Phone?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After a decade of Android I got a Windows Phone a few years ago and loved it. Then for a business reason I got an iPhone, the small cheap one. Nice phone, better than any Android I'd owned and build quality better than Lumia or Nokia.

The WP went to my other half. Now and again she asks me to see something on her phone - oh how I miss WP, such a great OS, better than Android or iOS.

MS screwed up again by being too late to the party. I hope they do finally introduce a Surface Phone, but there will be no point until there are better and updated apps, many are still from around 2015-16, even for Windows 10 FFS!

1. Timmy B

RE: "oh how I miss WP, such a great OS, better than Android or iOS."

I totally agree. It was so fast and easy to use even on really budget handsets. Not something you can say about Android. Shame it went, really.

2. fords42

Bought a Lumia 930 and loved it to bits. Eventually went to iPhone when the app gap really started to bite. Now using an Android with the Microsoft Launcher. It's not quite WP OS, but it's still pretty nice.

3. RyokuMas
      Facepalm

"MS screwed up again by being too late to the party."

... and chopping and changing architectures between versions...

... and completely switching direction into cloud...

... and (above all) calling it "Windows Phone"

I still maintain that had they called it something else - possibly tied it to the Xbox brand (if possible, Apple might have had something to say about it being called the "XPhone"), and taken a bit more time over setup and support, WinPhone really could have been a thing.

... but no. From across the Atlantic, I hear a "kaboom!", followed by someone screaming about where their toes have gone...

1. midcapwarrior

You can thank Steve Sinofsky.

At the time the Windows team wanted to own everything and the internal turf wars were fierce.

Not the first IT product to be smothered by internal politics.

4. Ken 16 Silver badge

my one bullet dodged in my smartphone history

I had a Samsung Bada phone, replaced it with a Blackberry z10 and when BB10 end of life was announced I was planning to get a Windows phone but put buying it off long enough to save myself the misery.

1. Waseem Alkurdi
        Pint

Re: my one bullet dodged in my smartphone history

Samsung Bada

Thanks a lot sir!

This one (actually called Samsung Wave, it's the OS that's called Bada), along with the Nokia 6600 "The Bear/The Panda", Nokia 6630 "The Teardrop/The Devil", N70, N73, Nokia Communicator, and Nokia XpressMusic, were part of the multitude of dreams of my desperate childhood ...

5. cambsukguy

Used Ringo App on WP Phone

The other day. It failed at the payment page.

I went to the website, exactly the same, the App was just a crappy wrapper for a crappy website.

The Website worked no problem, probably some change in bank security or something, Edge had no problem of course.

Which is why I can keep using WinPhone - I just don't need or want almost every App. Most of the time a webpage works, train times, plane arrivals (there are working Apps for both mind you, FlightAware works perfectly including the cool Sky Camera thing).

Of course, I would love the Apps to all be there but I am not running all-Google, all-data Maps etc. and having to perform all the work to switch to a different launcher, HERE maps, none of which will work as well or are as tightly-integrated as maps/office etc are on WP.

It is about what you use the most, for me that doesn't mean FB, snapchat, instagram or the next latest must-have.

Luckily, dinosaurs can use a dinosaur phone, at least for a while yet.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good job the surgeon's are getting better at face transplants.

You password chnage is going to take a bit longer then usual.

1. NiceCuppaTea

Re: Good job the surgeon's are getting better at face transplants.

Deepfakes plus bio-metric web authentication = don't show your face on youtube else your entire digital life will be pwned.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like