back to article AI on Raspberry Pi, Waymo touts robo-rides to Arizonians, and more

Hello, here's a quick roundup of all the mini announcements happening in the world of AI. Raspberry Pi now supports TensorFlow, so you can start your own machine learning projects on the tiny computer. Waymo is beginning to wedge its way into the public transport system in Arizona. AI on Raspberry Pi: The latest version of …

1. Tom 7

more ai on the pi

There's also a project to get a lot of maths dumped onto the graphics unit on the PI. Combine that with the Tensor flow and (if my fag packet maths is correct) then up 100 or so Pi Zeros would be the most cost effective way of buying computing power for your AI.

2. Paratrooping Parrot
    Boffin

I can now learn Tensorflow

My laptop is unable to run TensorFlow, and so is my desktop at the university due to not having a dedicated non Intel graphics card.

1. Tom 7

Re: I can now learn Tensorflow

You dont need a graphics card - it helps but even an atom driven laptop will be faster than a Pi.

1. I3N
        Pint

Had forgotten what slow was ...

Been dustn' off an Atom Inside Logic Supply fanless ... needed 32-bit Windows 7 Pro to validate hardware dongle operation

3. herman

Fake news detection is really easy. Does it come from any American source? If so, then it is Fake News. Does it come from anywhere else? If so, then it is also Fake News. La voila.

1. Steve Channell
      Thumb Up

Google ported it

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/07/25/google_edge_tpu_chip/

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And on that basis anything Zeno says is fake news

3. DCFusor

If it comes from any mainstream media

It's probably fake. Follow the ownership.

Even Noam Chomsky thinks Israel did more election hacking than Russia ever has.

Media has just become a mouthpiece for the wealthy and powerful. Even tech sites spew the popular lines without fact checking - and frankly don't have the resources to do that and should stick to tech anyway.

And if it comes from anywhere else - it's probably fake too, or at best "hey look, a squirrel!"

This stuff people get all bent over...silly. I've watched this stuff for 60 or so years, and no matter who is in government, things get more technically cool, but everything else slowly gets worse, as all the money creeps to the top, increasing the Gini coefficient. Only the Chinese - some of them - now have it better than in the '50s.

My Dad, on technician pay, married, bought a house in the late 50's, and raised 3 kids with a stay at home mom who he funded to go to college after. Try that now. Nuff said. You can make six figures now and not be able to afford a home, much less kids and college, in any town you can make that.

I wonder how many lifetimes it'd take to train a decent ML model on a pi? I use them here, but...holy cow, something that can barely browse the web at all?

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: If it comes from any mainstream media

but...holy cow, something that can barely browse the web at all?

Resource rationing. When you have a web browser, you actually have all these running at the same time on top of the Linux kernel and essential system services:

- network stack connected

- X graphical server up and running.

- A desktop environment (negligible if on a WM)

- A web browser hogging the poor thing.

But for such dedicated applications as ML and AI, one only uses the Linux kernel with barely any services except those needed for Python or whatever compiler, all on top of a text session. Much more resources available.

Even Noam Chomsky thinks Israel did more election hacking than Russia ever has.

I believe that this is true, but until I cite proof, I'm merely stating my opinion. Can you provide proof for such a claim which happens to tell a lot about the real face of American politics if true?

1. vtcodger Silver badge

FWIW -- https://www.democracynow.org/2018/7/27/noam_chomsky_on_mass_media_obsession

"Israeli intervention in U.S. elections vastly overwhelms anything the Russians may have done, I mean, even to the point where the prime minister of Israel, Netanyahu, goes directly to Congress, without even informing the president, and speaks to Congress, with overwhelming applause, to try to undermine the president’s policies—what happened with Obama and Netanyahu in 2015."

Overall I'm not all that big a fan of Chomsky. But here at least, the man seems to have a valid point.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Israeli intervention in U.S. elections vastly overwhelms anything the Russians may have done

I'll note that Chomsky here speaks of "intervention", not "hacking", as DCFusor put it. That's a very different matter. The bulk of Israeli influence on US politics, as far as I can see, employs traditional means: money, favors, and so forth. There may well be IT dirty tricks, because what nation state doesn't employ every means at its disposal in pursuit of its foreign-policy objectives? But whether that particular aspect saw a greater investment from Israel than from Russia is dubious, and certainly not what Chomsky claimed above.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

You can make six figures now and not be able to afford a home, much less kids and college, in any town you can make that.

My household brings in six figures, and affords two homes, in two towns, in two states, where, indeed, we make that.

Also put a kid through college - in fact paid for an assortment of degrees (we each have three, as that's a nice round number).

It can be done. It helps to live in a place where the cost of living is relatively low, certainly; and having skills that are in high demand helps enable that. In the region around my northern home, good houses can be had for under $100K (ten years ago, they could be had for under half that). In the area where I have my southern house, prices for something decent are steeper, but then energy costs are lower, which balances things out a bit.

4. Waseem Alkurdi

and creators of the Snapchat and Bitmoji apps that are hugely popular among millennials,

Unfortunately, not only the millenials, but among us "post-millenials" as well (as in: every other kid with a smartphone).

5. Philip Stott

Whoa a whole $7K!?!? Are you sure you can afford it?

Nice of Snap Inc. to sponsor a professor in AI for a week.

1. JassMan
      Joke

Re: Whoa a whole $7K!?!? Are you sure you can afford it?

The trouble is, even if they are successful, there will be nothing left over for the celebratory party.

6. JassMan
    Trollface

That's wymo' info than we wanted

The limited service is only for people who work for Valley Metro, but eventually it hopes to expand it out to a taxi service for passengers eligible for Valley Metro RideChoice, a discounted service for the elderly and people with disabilities.

Probably just just a new form of semi-legal euthanasia given their record in Arizona.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like