back to article Oz retro computer collection in dire straits, bulldozers on horizon

Australian retro computer fans, it's time to mobilise: the shoestring volunteers trying to preserve computer history here are the end of their lease, money, and wits. So if you have storage space and a sentimental feeling about, say, a DEC MicroVAX 4000, part of a PDP-11, or a Control Data CDC-6600 backplane, you'll be …

1. Ol'Peculier

Can the powerhouse museum help? Was quite surprised at the stuff it had on display when I went round it.

2. iLurker

Never mind the history, in Australia there’s virtually no recognition of engineering, either...

3. The Central Scrutinizer

Damn, I used to service PDP 11s.. . 11/34s to be precise. What a beast. Fond memories.... sort of.. haha. Unfortunately I'm not in Sydney and don't have the space.

4. _SMB_

I am in Melbourne and have no real space, but I'd donate cash to the cause. Is there something we can do other than provide a spare room?

1. Adam 1

Maybe you could contribute to the family law fund of anyone who arrives home to a grilling about the several additional creates of junkengineering history.

5. Mark Exclamation

I've got space, and am happy to help, but I'm in Brisbane. Happy to have stuff shipped to me.

6. elbisivni

I have some space, but also in Brisbane. Ugh, tyranny of distance.

1. Ol'Peculier

I know, I'd love to help too, but I'm in Yorkshire...

7. Parash2

Storage

I can store about 5 square meters, is there a telephone number I can call?

8. Michael Kean

Blimey.

If Blechley Park can have their computer museum, why can't Sydney?

Maybe they can ship them off to Parkes - would go well with The Dish.

1. pwl

...in fact, the computers for the film “The Dish” were supplied by the museum from this collection...

2. Adam 1

We can't afford one sorry. We're too busy pulling down perfectly adequate stadiums and rebuilding ones with practically the same capacity. And let's not even get started on the powerhouse.

9. PeterM42
    Thumb Up

Ah PDP-8

Had a pair of those perspex covers off one as armchairside tables back in the day when we couldn't afford much furniture. Covers no longer needed as we rack-mounted the PDP's.

The American (115v) cables made great jumpstart leads as well. Still got mine in the car.

10. Shred

There’s a video walk through of the collection over at the EEVBlog:

https://www.eevblog.com/2018/08/09/eevblog-1112-vintage-computer-warehouse-diving/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon