back to article Irish Supremes make shock decision to hear Facebook's appeal in Schrems II

The Irish Supreme Court has made the unprecedented decision to hear Facebook’s appeal in its long-running legal battle with privacy activist Max Schrems – and to do so with urgency. The unanimous decision from the five judges considering the case will be a surprise to observers, as it appears to go against existing case law …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

After Cambridge Analytica...

... do Facebook realize int can turn against it?

2. wolfetone Silver badge

I didn't know Facebook was a fan of brown envelopes? Who knew.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

It wasn't a brown one. It was a blue one with a Facebook logo on it. Inside it, all the judge Internet habits, and a note saying that Facebook "cares about its users privacy"....

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: users privacy

"Inside it, all the judge Internet habits"

Surely not? I thought that kind of blackmailworthy dirt collection was reserved (in and around Westminster anyway) for the 'intelligence' services and/or the Party Whips, to make sure that wayward MPs could be trusted to vote as required by the real Powers That Be if the need were to arise.

What's the expression? "You might possibly think so, I couldn't possibly comment".

See also: Defence of the Realm, A Very British Coup, etc.

Honesty in politics and corporate business?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

" I thought that kind of blackmailworthy dirt collection was reserved..."

Maybe once - when they only had the capabilities to collect those data.

But today? How much Facebook, Google & C. know about people? Up to the point that the intelligence services want those data as well.

And not only that - by promoting or demoting contents as they please, they can change your "public image". And with even less oversight than government services.

I was joking, but this kind of operation is not beyond their capabilities.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Irish judges, using the internet?

I think you'll find they operate strictly through the printed word and have limited acquaintance with electrical devices.

3. macjules
    Paris Hilton

Irish Supremes make shock decision to hear Facebook's appeal..

For a second there I was thinking about Diana O'Ross.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Irish Supremes make shock decision to hear Facebook's appeal..

"The Irish Supremes"? I know a lot of people liked their music, but The Nolan Sisters were never *that* good...

4. }{amis}{
    Holmes

Who Done IT "Cluedo Data Law Edition"

The first guess would be Facebook in the shady back-alley with the brown envelope of €500 notes, but I think that's too easy.

Ireland has waaaaay too much dependence on the money from the IT giants so I suspect that the court may have been lent on by the Irish government.

1. JMcL

Re: Who Done IT "Cluedo Data Law Edition"

"... so I suspect that the court may have been lent on by the Irish government"

Very doubtful, and it would want to be a particularly dumb politician that would try it (not that those are in short supply here). Constitutionally the judiciary is a completely separate arm of the state from Dail Eireann (the parliament). So much so that the government couldn't even reduce judges pay when everybody else got it in the neck when we were forced to cover the fsck ups of private business 10 a years ago. For any minister or civil servant to be seen to attempt to influence the supreme court would unleash the mother of all conditional crises.

5. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

will be a surprise to observers

Not any observer that have ever seen the Irish economy's dependance on being the HQ for US computer companies

1. Mage Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: will NOT be a surprise to observers

Nor the shameful behaviour of Irish regulators in general, more into raising money for Treasury than Consumer protection.

See "Regulatory Capture".

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: will NOT be a surprise to observers

"....Irish regulators in general, more into raising money for Treasury than Consumer protection."

And you think this is just an Irish problem? ahem*ofcom*ahem*speedcameras*ahem

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given that the EU is trying to force Ireland to collect more tax from Apple

Ireland is on notice that getting US firms to HQ there for sweetheart tax deals on EU income isn't sustainable in the future. So instead they'll have to give them sweetheart legal deals if they want to be sure of keeping them.

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

It could be that taking on Facebook has suddenly become fashionable and the Irish courts don't want to miss out.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Facebook might persuade this court that some or all of the facts under challenge should be reversed

Ireland is deeply complicit is Facebook's Data Crimes...

It must be great to have friends in powerful places tho...

------------------------

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/ireland-has-traded-jobs-for-managing-the-world-s-online-data-1.3436878

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/privacy-rights-it-s-natural-facebook-would-choose-ireland-1.3400531

https://qz.com/162791/how-a-bureaucrat-in-a-struggling-country-at-the-edge-of-europe-found-himself-safeguarding-the-worlds-data/

https://qz.com/993995/how-facebooks-fb-sheryl-sandberg-personally-lobbied-irish-prime-minister-enda-kenny-as-shown-by-2014-emails-published-in-the-irish-independent/

8. adnim

Religious repression

causes joy and pleasure to be sought in the most perverse situations. Perhaps someone is looking to have a laugh?

9. Chris G

Come to the Emerald Isle

Enjoy our beautiful lush country side and misty mountains, sample our wonderful Guiness, listen to our traditional music and enjoy our very open and approachable legal system (Terms and conditions apply, in a brown envelope)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Terms and conditions

Seems to have a trypo: surely "Terms and conditions apply, in a brown envelope"

should read:

"Terms and conditions: Apply in a brown envelope"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyone keeping count of the # Apologies?

Facebook executives apologise for moderation issues

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0801/982338-facebook/

11. Winkypop Silver badge
    Devil

Let's face(book) it...

The money is only resting in their account.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like