back to article The End for Fin7: Feds cuff suspected super-crooks after $$$m stolen from 15m+ credit cards

The FBI has arrested the alleged three leaders of an international crime syndicate that stole huge numbers of credit card numbers – which were subsequently sold on and used to rack up tens of millions of dollars in spending sprees. Speaking in Seattle, USA, where the Feds' cybersecurity taskforce is based, agents said the " …

1. Brett Weaver

The USA ...

Why the hell do the suspects need to be extradited to the USA? Surely there are laws in the EU.

Brexit is justified if this is the level of protection offered by EU citizenship.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The USA ...

The crime occurred in the US, shouldn't the US be the one to prosecute it? They may be guilty of something in their home country, but the victims and losses incurred were elsewhere.

What if I mailed some cookies laced with rat poison to a person in the EU, and who ate them and died? Should I not be extradited to the country where my victim resides for prosecution? Rat poison is legal to purchase in the US - and since I was curious I checked and it appears it would be legal to send through the mail if the LD50 for humans is greater than 50mg per kg! I'm not sure I'd be guilty of any crime under US law...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I like the LD50 and postal research you've done.

I haven't checked it but I'll trust most El Reg commentards.

I do however think that only foolproof way to avoid extradition for international poisoning is to have the privilege of being Mr. Putin.

Maybe I should have gone AC for this one?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Yup...looks lime u upset some russians with those down votes...be careful of free perfume.

2. Jtom

It is against US law to contaminate food intended for human consumption, LD or not.

1. hplasm
          Devil

"It is against US law to contaminate food intended for human consumption, LD or not."

Unless a US food conglomerate of course...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's the US definition of "contamination" that troubles us...

2. silentmovie

US law enforcement were actively seeking them for crimes committed in the US against US citizens/banks and requested international co-operation. That's how it works between any countries with co-operation/extradition treaties, including the UK. Brexit is completely irrelevant. Check out the US-UK extradition treaty of 2003 to see how much protection is offered to UK citizens. This is not an EU matter.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

US companies as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More than likely...

...the majority of stolen credit cards were from U.S. citizens making it obviously within U.S. jurisdiction to prosecute these crims. It's good that some crims fear U.S. prisons. That may be a small deterrent for some digital crims. Extradition for all digital crimes should be mandatory. Providing a safe haven for digital crims is completely unacceptable and a disgrace that can prove costly for any country.

1. Mark 85

Re: More than likely...

One would hope that after the US gives them their day (weeks?) in court that if another country wants them there will be some sharing of the crims. This type of thing might just do the trick especially if one the countries they could be sent to are less diligent about the treatment of prisoners.

3. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Coat

I say ...

... let them go free. They were spending less on my credit card than my wife was.

Mine's the one with the keys to the dog house in the pocket.

4. Brett Weaver

The USA

The US do not allow their citizens to be judged in international courts (As for War Crimes etc). The handful of US citizens ever extradited mostly went to US fiefdoms.

I'm sure that there were EU citizens affected by the criminals. Why didn't the EU take care of its own?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The USA

They do, just look at the fines they hand out to American tech companies for abuse when the US ignore it.

Extradition is done at a national level, nothing to do with the EU, anyone would think brexiteers and remainer have confused El Reg with the hate mail or a bbc comments forum on brexit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like