back to article Hey, don't route the messenger! Telegram redirected through Iran by baffling BGP leak

A bunch of Telegram messages went the long way round on Monday: a BGP leak sent people's Telegram chat communications via systems in Iran. Flagged by OpenDNS's BGPMon as a possible BGP hijack, the cockup could also have been a simple case of a sysadmin typo, since the redirection of packets only lasted two hours and fifteen …

1. Wellyboot Silver badge
    Joke

Backronym alert

>> MANRS (Mutually Agreed Norms for Routing Security) and ARTEMIS (Automatic and Real-Time dEtection and MItigation System)<<

These are in no way up to the standard of sipbrandy & tictoc for contrived names, get a grip!

1. Christoph

Re: Backronym alert

Or the Power PC opcode EIEIO

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

Moto 68000 : SHARQ (shift arithmetic right quick).

1. Alistair
          Windows

Moto 68000 : SHARQ (shift arithmetic right quick).

Still to this day needs a LASR

2. Unep Eurobats
    Coat

'Don't route the messenger'

You like your centers and colors and modelings, but here's a headline that only works with British English pronunciation. An explanatory footnote is required,Shirley?

1. Martin Summers Silver badge

Re: 'Don't route the messenger'

You yanks pronounce it wrong, so no.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

You yanks pronounce it wrong, so no.

Funny you should say that. More often than not, whenever I fire up a Beeb drama on Netflix, I must also turn on the captions. Unless it's "Doctor Who" or some other program explicitly targeted to an international audience, I often find the dialog incomprehensible.

The British may be the official keepers of what makes the English language English, but I frequently find British execution of said language to be just as poor.

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: You yanks pronounce it wrong, so no.

I often find the dialog incomprehensible.

As I suspect you might for some examples of the US vernacular. British media production has been on a long, slow journey since the 1950s rediscovering the language actually spoken on the islands. Prior to that received pronunciation was used. But the problem was that no one actually spoke like that. Regional accents and dialect added authenticity to the programmes, accents are important within UK culture, probably much more so than in the US. This came to be considered as a mark of quality and important for the export market. But it's a fine line between realism and incomprehensibility and there are plenty in England who struggle with Scots (and vice versa).

2. Phil Kingston

To be honest, we're not all that impressed with what you did with our language. We'd rather you just gave it us back and we'll forget about the whole thing.

1. RTUSER

@Phill; Apparently we're really trying to convert to Spanish so just hang in there. We'll get it going in a few hundred years.

2. phuzz Silver badge

BGP is routed (rhymes with shooted). However, when the edge of a piece of wood is cut by a rotating tool, it is routed (rhymes with shouted). Oh, and if an army runs away, it is said to be routed (also rhymes with shouted).

I can't imagine why Americans have such problems with our language...

(Thinking about it, perhaps the English pronunciation for route comes from the French 'rue', meaning road or way?)

1. RTUSER

You're right, you CAN'T imagine why. It's funny coming from a country with less than 1/3 the land mass and about 1/5 the people that has many distinct dialects and who knows how much variation due to slang.

Next thing I know, you'll be complaining that irregardless isn't a word. :-)

1. Spacedinvader
          WTF?

Less than 1/3 the land? While technically correct - the US is about 40x the size of the UK.

1. Adam 1

> the US is about 40x the size of the UK.

Cough* Down here we have a cattle farm that is bigger than Wales.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

<< (Thinking about it, perhaps the English pronunciation for route comes from the French 'rue', meaning road or way?) >>

No, it comes from the French "route", and kept the pronunciation.

1. phuzz Silver badge

No, it comes from the French "route", and kept the pronunciation.

Err, the French pronounce rue and route in the same way, and clearly both words come from the same root.

(and now I'm wondering if root and route share a derivation)

3. diodesign (Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Unep Eurobats

El Reg has embraced quantum journalism – we are in a superposition between British and American English.

C.

1. Woza
        Joke

"Quantum journalism" - so a journo can know how fast they're writing, or what they're writing, but not both?

2. Alistair
        Windows

@diodesign:

Sooo, you'll be applying for a Canadian residency permit ?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like