back to article How to (slowly) steal secrets over the network from chip security holes: NetSpectre summoned

Computer security researchers have devised a way to exploit the speculative-execution design flaws in modern processor chips over a network connection – a possibility that sounds rather more serious but may be something less than that. Until now, Spectre attacks have required malicious code to be running on a vulnerable …

1. NoneSuch Silver badge
    FAIL

Yup

No nation state would ever take advantage of a flaw that took days. Ultra slow speed to lose the tiny packets in the mass of other traffic. Makes no sense at all.

1. Nate Amsden

Re: Yup

if a nation state is after you this is the least of your worries.

2. DrBed

"No nation state would ever take advantage of a flaw that took days. Ultra slow speed to lose the tiny packets in the mass of other traffic. Makes no sense at all."

Same thing could been said for Stuxnet - before awareness of damage at Natanz nuclear facility (Iran, 2010; Stuxnet have been in development since at least 2005).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero_Days

e.g. NSA with a little help of some neural network AI could override that "slow speed/tiny packets" limitation.

from Ars Technica: "These data rates are far too slow to extract any significant amount of data; even the fastest side channel (AVX2 over the local network) would take about 15 years to read 1MB of data."

Indeed, but: only one, simple but crucial recovered password is sufficient for penetration, at least in theory. e.g. 1KB instead 1MB or 1:1000. Well trained AI will reconstruct it from bits of slurped garbage much more faster / successful then one could imagine.

"The AVX2 side channel is much faster—one byte every eight minutes—but still very slow."

hmm... 1B@8' == 1000B@8000' = 1KB@332d-12h-20min ==> worth trying for right thing, imho.

3. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Big Brother

And that is why you are not the Director of the NSA.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Are you really unable to pick up on the sarcasm in their post ?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Are you really unable to pick up on the sarcasm in their post ?

Poe's Law. Sarcasm needs to be a hell of a lot clearer than in the original post - if the original was meant sarcastically; it's not at all clear to me that it was.

Write for your audience if you want to be understood.

4. druck Silver badge

It makes lots of sense. Attacks against large corporations can go on for months without detection, which is plenty of time to exfiltrate data at even a few bits per hour.

2. Robert Helpmann??
    Paris Hilton

I don't think that word means what you think it means

I am quite sure I don't understand all of this, but perhaps someone could fill me in. A Spectre gadget as it is not particularly well-defined in the article or at least I was a bit thrown off. It isn't one of the gadgets in the "billions of computers, gadgets, and gizmos at some degree of risk". Does it amount to any code in any remote API that can be abused to exfiltrate data using this method? If so, I would think that identifying them might be accomplished by defining normal, expected calls on each API and monitoring for any that fall outside that set, essentially what most whitelisting apps do during tuning. Easier said than done, I am sure, but perhaps a way to catch things that code review might miss.

1. really_adf

Re: I don't think that word means what you think it means

Does [a Spectre Gadget] amount to any code in any remote API that can be abused to exfiltrate data using this method?

Yes, that is my understanding.

If so, I would think that identifying them might be accomplished by defining normal, expected calls on each API and monitoring for any that fall outside that set, ...

Unfortunately, that monitoring may itself be a Spectre Gadget.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: I don't think that word means what you think it means

Technically, a gadget is a vulnerable code pattern. This use is a common term of art in malware research. Offhand my impression is that it was popularized by discussions of ROP, but I may be misremembering.

The paper discusses some of the difficulties in identifying known gadgets, and much of the Spectre research, and other research into microarchitecture side channels, has focused on identifying new types of gadgets. It's tricky to detect unknown patterns.

That said, it's possible application behavior monitoring and analysis could be a useful mitigation for some microarchitecture side-channel attacks. It wouldn't catch all of them, but it could contribute to defense in depth. Essentially it's what most contemporary anti-malware products do already, just for a different class of suspect patterns.

3. Bronek Kozicki

There is also

... an article on the subject on Ars Technica.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Of course Intel isn't worried ..

After all, until the exploit has a flashy logo and associated website it doesn't really exist - coming up with something 'cooler' sounding than NetSpectre may or may not happen.

That certainly seems to be standard operating procedure in the current shitegeist.

5. leadyrob

[In]Spectre Gadget

Was Dr Claw a co-author of the paper ?

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: [In]Spectre Gadget

Mitigation: Penny

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Are we there yet

So are there new chips yet available from AMD/Intel/ARM that are 100% Spectre free yet, oh and Meltdown free for Intel chips ? Basically is "Spectre free" part of their promotion material.

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Are we there yet

"We will get there when we get there!"

As I said before, I expect two years or so remain before we see commercial consumer product. Which will be a significant step backward from price/performance/power standpoint.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Are we there yet

Sure. And they'll come with a free unicorn.

Expect CPUs with no microarchitecture side channels around the same time you see non-trivial consumer software with no bugs.

7. elvisimprsntr

It's a conspiracy folks! Planned obsolesce!

We already know CPUs are reaching the end of Moore's Law. This will ultimately lead to a decline in sales when all you get is incremental performance increases. It has likely already begun if you believe some of the YoY sales figures. Intel (and others) know these issues exist and let them trickle out to guarantee they will get sufficient press coverage to scare the $hit out of everyone. Future Intel comes to the rescue to save humanity by announcing a new line of hardened processors, future OS distributions require new hardened processors. Profits soar! Everyone wins! Well, except for the consumer and business that are forced to upgrade all computers, severs, networking gear, and anything else with a processor.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Given that this is a sidechannel attack on network response via a SPECTRE gadget, the logical defense is to make all network application responses constant-time. So pick the longest possible response time, and force all the network responses to wait that long.

Or just add some random jitter (possibly about the average of half the difference between a speculative and non-speculative lookup) into the response time at the network packet driver- you will increase the average network response time by some small figure,but you destroy the network side-channel.

Any resolution to SPECTRE class sidechannels means impacting performance - the only question is the cost to do so, and whether that cost is acceptable.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like