back to article Oracle puts release of new freebie mini-database on ice to work out kinks

Oracle has pushed back the express edition of its 18c database until October. The latest version of Oracle Database XE was due to come out with the next quarterly release update of Big Red's new 18c database this summer. However, product manager Gerald Venzl said this week that Oracle Database 18c XE will be delayed until …

1. Daniel von Asmuth
    Paris Hilton

A free database

A free database from Oracle? Do you mean MySQL?

1. K

Re: A free database

My first thought was, good they've rebranded MySQL!

Saying that, it still makes me laugh every time I look at what Monty has done... Collected his cheque, then thought oh fuck fork it on the way out!

1. DCFusor

It's appears not, and that's lucky, I think. After all, MySQL doesn't have any of the stated limits... and meets standards. I'd bet money this new one is full of the Oracle version of "embrace, extend..lock-in" instead.

Though here, my small (a few gigs) homestead DB's are all slowly migrating to Maria, just because it's becoming default as Linux upgrades. No problems yet with that. I wouldn't have noticed, really, maybe it's a little faster now on my particular hardware. I don't use every feature, so I don't know how things would be in a more complex case.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's free, just a pretty useless kind of free. Like horseback riding on a carousel.

Sadly, the pretend horses aren't ready to "run" yet.

1. DJV Silver badge

"Sadly, the pretend horses aren't ready to "run" yet."

That's because they tried to design a unicorn but the horn was placed in the middle of the back pointing straight upwards. Ouch!

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@DCFusor - "MySQL doesn't have any of the stated limits... and meets standards"

MySQL? It's probably the least standards compliant RDBMS I can think of, and despite my dislike of Oracle DB's licensing it's actually pretty standards compliant.

2. FrankAlphaXII

Hah. TANSTAAFO (There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Oracle)

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

TANSTAAFO (There Aint No Such Thing As A Free Oracle)

And you'll probably find that the 'severe bug' was that it was allowing the user to do more than they should or allowing them more data than they should.

In Oracles' eyes, both criminal offenses. Why - it's virtually stealing!

1. K

"was that it was allowing the user to do more than they should"

Which they will then "fix", and you'll have to purchase the full thing, else you apps becomes unusable!

2. HolySchmoley

Holy Grail of software engineers. It's a miracle!

"We want to make sure that XE has the highest possible quality"

So that'll be no bugs, no design weaknesses.

I've been waiting to see such software for decades.

Respect!

You won't let us down, will you?

3. FuzzyWuzzys

About bloody time!

XE has been getting so long in the tooth, I like it as it comes with APEX built in. It's good way to get to play with Oracle with very little hassle, especially for devs who just need to check code compatibility, especially as installation is *next**next**next* and click "Start DB" icon.

To be honest though unless you have to support Oracle going forward most new dev is going FOSS options from the get-go. I say that as a 20 year Oracle DBA. there's so many new and exciting DB options to play with out there especially in the NoSQL camps, online stores like DynamoDB are really good fun.

Years ago you had to tweak and tune DBs to maximum effecniciency, many hours I've spent fightin with SQL to tune out just a few more ms to get it up to spec, in some cases you still do but I get to tune SQL maybe half a dozen times a year now.. Now you can buy a gazillion buckets of computing power for pennies and so simply having a DB like MySQL or PostgreSQL is suitable for most purposes where you just need to store a terabyte or two of data online and archive out the rest to XML or JSON offline dumps.

XE is worth having a play with just keep your core Oracle skills up to spec as it's tiny and happily sits out of the way but the days when most places simply bought Oracle, SQL Server or DB2 without thinking are long gone now. Oracle will go the way of Lotus or IBM, slowly fading into the background as they get used less by new generations who are cloud orentated ( indoctrinated? ) and they favour the faster and simpler systems with replaceable serverless components, not a always a bad thing though.

4. phuzz Silver badge
    Joke

What *really* happened

"As we are going through extensive testing of 18c XE, we have found some issues in the latest Release Candidate that we consider being too severe for XE to be released prior to fixing them,"

He continued:

We found that some users were able to use XE for their business, without running into any of the arbitrary limits we'd imposed. Of course, we couldn't have people being happy, so we've limited it still further, so that no-one should be able to do useful work with it, and sent a crack licensing team around to extort gently persuade our customers to buy more licenses. Everything must be licensed! Licenses for the license god!

At this point the Oracle spokes-drone started frothing at the mouth, and had to be removed from the press conference. Remaining Oracle entities explained that he had been under a lot of stress really and attempted to sell us a license to report this news.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like