back to article Spectre/Meltdown fixes in HPC: Want the bad news or the bad news? It's slower, say boffins

HPC admin? Feeling slighted that all the good Spectre/Meltdown mitigation benchmarks ignore big iron? Fear not, a bunch of MIT boffins are on your side. Unfortunately, what they found is that network connections, disk accesses, and computational workloads can all be affected by the fixes, whether in the operating system or the …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

Simple - the same ideas underpin their implementation of the same thing. Speculative execution and so forth are fairly industry standard techniques, and even if they aren't necessarily implemented in exactly the same way, it's possible that people have made similar mistakes in their implementation - especially if there's an open "reference implementation" that includes the bug.

2. Duncan Macdonald

AMD CPUs

As AMD CPUs do not suffer from the Meltdown problem - it would be interesting to see comparable figures from an AMD based system.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: AMD CPUs

Meltdown is only one small sub-class of the Spectre class of vulnerabilities. I wouldn't expect a large difference.

3. Ken Hagan Gold badge

The good news...

...from Intel's marketing department will be that their next chips are several times faster than their immediate predecessors on most workloads. In fact, they've never seen such a performance leap in a single generation and you simply must rush out and give them all your money.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: The good news...

I wonder if the recent news that Intel's next generation of chips will remove the hyperthreading capabilities (still multi core but only 1 thread per core) is coincidental?

1. Aitor 1

Re: The good news...

My guess is that there are several reasons for this.

First yeah, security implications.. but also benchmarks. Removing MT allows you to have better single core performance, and with Zen2 on the market intel is starting to lag behind in SC benchmarks.

Either intel gets their manufacturing processes sorted or they are at high risk of losing plenty of the market to AMD.

In this age they cannot simply tell google, amazon etc that they won't supply products unless they stop buying from AMD, as these companies do not sell consumer products, and are therefore mostly not affected by processor branding.

4. kain preacher

I want to know how non x86 cpu's are affected .

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Some bright sparc with the power to explain the arm will be along shortly to tell you

2. Aitor 1

Obvious

This is a side channel attack, and if you implement the caches in the most obvious way, you are affected.

Read the vulns and it will be quite clear.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Meltdown is Intel-specific, but Spectre seems general to any architecture that implements some kind of speculation. That includes ARM. And generally, if an architecture isn't vulnerable to Spectre, it's because it's too old or limited to be of practical general use.

1. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Meltdown is Intel-specific

Sigh. This is incorrect. Non-Intel Meltdown vulnerabilities were published months ago, and have been mentioned in Reg comments, as well as all the usual places.

Specifically:

- At least three ARM designs have Meltdown (spec-ex across privilege boundary) vulnerabilities: A15, A57, and A72.

- Some IBM POWER CPUs are vulnerable. It's not easy to find specific information on this from IBM, but it was widely reported (see for example here), and the Wikipedia page on Meltdown includes POWER among affected architectures; it's not likely IBM would let that slide if it were incorrect.

4. thames

Meltdown seems to be Intel specific, while Spectre is a more general problem relating to speculative execution.

For ARM, it will depend on the specific model. Some ARM chips are affected and some are not. There is a list somewhere of what models are affected.

For example, the Raspberry Pi Foundation have said that all models of Raspberry Pi are immune to both Meltdown and Spectre due to the model of CPU they use.

Generally, some of the top end ARM models are affected by Spectre, while the rest are not. What this has generally meant in practice is that the most expensive premium model mobile phones have a potential problem while the medium to low priced Android phones are largely immune. The bulk of embedded applications using ARM are also probably immune.

5. Korev Silver badge
    Boffin

More benchmarks please

I'd be interested in seeing benchmarks like this from more HPC codes, for example MD, CFD, bioinformatics etc.

6. DeathByDenim

Code optimization

So, the linked article states that these tests were for unoptimized code and seems to imply that optimization reduces the slowdown.

Are these optimizations specific for Spectre/Meltdown or are they just the normal stuff such as compiler flags and sequential memory reading and stuff like that?

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Re: Code optimization

I'm pretty sure that would be Spectre/Meltdown optimizations. By the time you go into HPC, you are going to be paying at least a little attention to optimization in the generic sense.

1. DeathByDenim

So do you have links to what that would be? I tried searching for it of course, but searching for Spectre/Meltdown (code) optimization only returns links explaining how Spectre and Meltdown use processor predictive-branching optimizations.

I've generally been on the other side of the house, so no. However, something like retpoline only affects performance if you have a return. No return, no retpoline. So structuring your code to have fewer returns would be one way to optimize (today) for performance in the presence of Specter fixes.

For instance.

7. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Stop me if I'm wrong here but...

If you are worried about malware exploiting security flaws in your on-premise top500 supercomputer - aren't you perhaps missing a bigger problem ?

It's a few years since I worked on this sort of stuff, but we used to have men with guns stopping you even going into the building with all the Crays - we certainly weren't concerned with a user clicking on a dodgy website.

Re: Stop me if I'm wrong here but...

This. As I've previously mentioned, I believe that the realization of these attacks means that the market will bifurcate. If you can trust the users to play nice, you don't need these mitigations and existing architectures perform much, much better than what is coming.

But for now, a lot of HPC is probably in environments where there has historically been a lot of trust that might not be warranted. I view this work is a step towards getting this issue in front of the right people.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

I assume this will apply to cloud.

I can buy cloud time with all the protections enabled - but I pay a 20% loss of speed

Or my company's tasks are guaranteed to be the only user on the physical CPU and a I pay a 10% security premium.

Or I could decide I don't care. The attacker can slowly try and extract sensitive information with cache miss tricks. But if I'm doing CFD or seismograph modelling, and the attacker would need to get hold of the entire Tb data set to make sense of it, and still wouldn't know where the data was coming from - do I care? Especially if I can conceal who I am when I'm renting the machine.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"It's a few years since I worked on this sort of stuff, but we used to have men with guns stopping you even going into the building with all the Crays - we certainly weren't concerned with a user clicking on a dodgy website."

But what about moles? Or the Edward Snowdens of the world?

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But what about moles? Or the Edward Snowdens of the world?

They have access to the information anyway - they aren't stealing the supercomputer memory a bit at a time through cache-miss side channels.

My point is that the jobs running on these machines are restricted, controlled and billed!

Back in the Cray days, and even now on the biggest machines, you don't log in to your shell account ad start running stuff. The builds and verifications are typically done on front end servers and then submitted to some queue.

Worrying about Spectre on a top500 is like fitting a bike lock to the wheels of a moon buggy.

3. c1ue

The issue is that attackers don't have to have admin access to attack, they just need to have access to something running on the same physical machine.

Do the HR and payroll people have the same security practices and standards as the R & D folk?

Worse, a lot of companies use cloud - there can be literally dozens of different companies running on a given big iron.

Vet short sighted to just talk about single specific big iron installs

8. _LC_
    Pirate

Refund, anyone?

I find it hard to believe that they have been "speculating into the blue", vastly ignoring the multi-user aspect (and thus the MMU) – by accident. Does anyone still remember "the little mishaps" of our car manufacturers?

Furthermore, the performance penalties are not the only problem (they hurt, especially when VMs are involved). Speculative execution consumes a lot of power. This is why ARM came up with the big-little concept to begin with. Now we are having systems that "keep speculating into the Orcus". That is, you'll not only get less performance, but it will still consume the same power.

Just, because Intel is in bed with certain secret services it doesn't have to imply that they get off free. Just my two cents...

9. gnasher729 Silver badge

I suppose you could reduce reliance on speculative execution. There are conditional operations (which test a condition but are executed unconditionally), and there are things like the POWER "count" register where loop execution isn't actually speculative - the processor _knows_ that the loop is executed or not. With hyperthreading, you could move execution to the other thread instead of doing speculative memory reads / writes although that might open another side channel.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Some loops will always be speculative (such as reading from a raw input; no telling where the end will be). And there will always be a need for raw throughput. It's easier to BS around a wrong answer than a missed deadline.

1. _LC_
        IT Angle

We are still talking about speculative execution in CPUs, are we? ;-)

2. Claptrap314 Silver badge

The Power (and PowerPC) chips that I knew had the ability to be non-speculative wrt the count register, but they were in fact speculative. I expect that to change.

10. T. F. M. Reader

Massively parallel workloads?

Have they tested massively parallel workloads, such as partial differential equations solving? This is a typical HPC problem, and it seems different from the "computationally intensive code" they analysed. Pure number-crunching does not use much I/O or system calls indeed. For parallelized derivative computation you will need to exchange information between the nodes working in parallel though - this is why low latency networks are so important in HPC systems. And that means I/O.

That does not necessarily mean system calls, especially if the information exchange is facilitated by RDMA-capable HW - the kernel may be bypassed.

Enquiring minds want to know, etc., etc. ...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like