back to article Spooked Cisco chief phoned AWS, asked: You're not making a switch, are you?

Network hardware makers can rest easy: the tech titan that is Amazon Web Services isn't going to be selling switches any time soon, which will likely be music to the ears of current AWS supplier Cisco. News website The Information reported at the end of last week that Amazon was mulling over whether to sell its own switches. …

1. Wellyboot Silver badge

Not yet anyway.

>>Confirmed that AWS is not actively building a commercial network switch.<<

Commercial being the important word alongside the unspoken 'yet'.

1. theblackhand

Re: Not yet anyway.

AWS have been building in-house switches for 4+ years - initially to support 25Gbps before it was available from other vendors (https://datacenterfrontier.com/amazon-building-custom-asic-chips-to-accelerate-cloud-networking/) but also to support improvements in power usage and density.

Given that the focus of the devices is on data centre networking that is around 20% of Cisco's switching portfolio and that the data centre network market space is crowded already, I'm not sure AWS standing up support and sales infrastructure for their switches makes financial sense, particularly given AWS's optimisation towards their own requirements that may not fit a wider customer base.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The risk isn't amazon selling them, it's in both Amazon choosing not to buy branded and then publishing their designs and the software resulting in some enterprising east asian manufacturers churning them out for next to nothing for anyone at sufficient scale.

1. Californiacation

Except there is plenty of that already.

2. Tigra 07

"Confirmed that AWS is not actively building a commercial network switch"

...Because they've already built one and it wasn't worth pursuing?

1. Peter2 Silver badge

Because they figured the market for Home/SME network switches is better than high end commercial switches?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

Not even on/off switches?

I mean: there seem to be quite a few "IT professionals" out there who apparently could really use an extra on/off switch for controlling public sharing of AWS buckets.

3. Aqua Marina

An Amazon spokeswoman told us...

..."I can confirm the statement from Cisco is accurate."

A line that will be maintained right up until the press conference where said switch is revealed!

I've been in this job too long :)

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: An Amazon spokeswoman told us...

Pointing to another entity's statement instead of making their own first-person statement? Why am I cynical??

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not standalone switches, but how about AWS-in-a-box?

The idea of Amazon selling standalone switches never made sense to me, but I can totally see them selling "AWS-in-a-box" hardware by the rack to their larger customers who have outgrown the current hosted AWS solution, which is actually quite expensive when you scale out to large or very large deployments (thousands of hosts or larger).

This would let Amazon keep their existing AWS customers, and those customers could still offload peak workloads into the hosted AWS cloud. Basically like a base load/peak load power plant arrangement, where the customer-owned hardware covers the base load, and the AWS-hosted machines would deal with the peak load.

5. Mrothe

Less datacenter, more branch office

With AWS trying to persuade customers to ditch their old datacenters and move everything into the cloud, I'm not sure it's in their interest to release a DC switch to rival Cisco Nexus.

But I reckon a small all-in-one router/wifi/WS-VPN which could be deployed into a branch office and give direct connectivity into an AWS environment could be a great concept to help move people away from on-prem servers. They can even throw acronyms like SDN around to make it sound sexier.

6. Brett Weaver

The cynical amongst you...

We remember Bismarck’s warning not to believe anything until it has been officially denied...

7. sanmigueelbeer

That's what she said

You're not making a switch, are you?

That's what HPE asked Cisco when Cisco announced they were entering the server market with UCS. HPE didn't like the answer Cisco gave.

8. Archivist

What they didn't say?

Cisco to AWS: OK, we'll reduce the price of our switches to you, if you agree not to compete.

In the meantime others pay through the nose for Cisco kit.

9. Miss_X2m1

If they are anything like....

If they are anything like Amazon's exploding power banks then Cisco has nothing to worry about. ;)

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cumulus?

I'm doing a NGN project right now, and, Cumulus' sales pitch is that AWS is powered by an early forked version of their system.

... I'm wondering if that is true now.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like