back to article Google Cloud Platform reins in its trigger-happy account-axing AI cops

With no mention of Tuesday's Cloud Platform service troubles, Google on Wednesday heralded the arrival of click-to-deploy Kubernetes apps in the Google Cloud Platform Marketplace. "With GCP Marketplace, you can now easily find prepackaged apps and deploy them onto the cluster of your choice," said Anil Dhawan, product manager …

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

"training among customer service personnel"

Google has customer service personnel?

I'd be less surprised to see a unicorn.

1. DropBear

Re: "training among customer service personnel"

Upvoted for accurate portrayal of the kind of support any mere mortal can expect from Google, but to be fair I don't think Google's free services and "Google Cloud Platform" are quite the same thing; for one, you are getting billed for one of them...

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: "training among customer service personnel"

Google has customer service personnel?

I'd be less surprised to see a unicorn.

Funny you should mention that.. I suspect that all their keyboards have special metal keycaps to stop their horn damaging the keyboard.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Don't think PayPal was running neural networks back then…

Anyway, the aim would be to train the ML to learn from classification by meatware. Knowing how much Google looks at the numbers it wouldn't surprise me if they were aware of the number of false positives and happier with it than the other way round. The risks for Google are not directly related to fraud but the potential regulatory sanctions and PR damage if it turns out to be hosting a heap of scammers or hackers.

2. MonkeyCee

Paypal fraud

That's the Paypal fraud system where you get flagged and get your funds frozen (all of them, not just the contested amount) with no human intervention.

There doesn't seem to be any human intervention when you complain either. You get told to "resolve with the buyer", i.e. cough up a refund and don't get your goods returned.

The only way I got "human" intervention was to send a letter via a lawyer. Letter arrived, account unforzen ~4 hours later.

Never got an explanation or an apology.

Plenty of stories about Paypal being utterly useless with fraud, and the fraudsters being quite aware of the automated procedures and how to abuse them.

These days I assume any Paypal sale of less than $20 can result in being a free gift to the buyer if they contest the sale.

1. DJV Silver badge
        Facepalm

@MonkeyCee

Re: "Paypal being utterly useless with fraud"

In my experience of PayPal from a developers angle, I think you can safely abbreviate that to just "Paypal being utterly useless".

3. DJV Silver badge

"Why you should not use Google Cloud"

I suspect mainly because it contains 2 particular words:

* Google

* Cloud

Well, that's certainly enough to put me off, anyway!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like