back to article TalkTalk shrugs off moaning customers to claim 80,000 more

UK comms provider TalkTalk grew its customer base by a net 80,000 in the first quarter of FY19, the company said in a trading update today. 2.1 million subscribers are now on fixed-price plans. Guess who's still most moaned about UK ISP... Rhymes with BorkBork READ MORE "We saw excellent growth in wholesale, offsetting a …

1. sal II

It only goes to show how much penny pinching Brits value their privacy and security. £10-20/year....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Price always trumps quality. Look at Ryanair, or many other examples of people choosing the cheapest supplier regardless of any other consideration.

1. JDX Gold badge

For lots of people, getting where they're going is the only consideration, every pound spent on making that journey more comfortable is a pound they don't have to spend when they get where they want to be. I think the average Brit would accept an offer "will you sit in this cramped box for 2 hours for £100".

I guess similarly if you just want internet that does Netflix, all options look the same to a non-techy. Though I know IT people who are with TT on the basis "it pretty much is the same"

1. therealmav

All airlines are shit

I’ve flown Ryanair and TBH it was only a little worse than my experience from much more expensive options. All airlines treat paying passengers as troublesome PITAs. So while I wouldn’t seek out Ryanair, I wouldn’t avoid it either - esp if their flight times were more convenient.

Talk Talk though - wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole

2. Halcin

Re: Penny Pinching Brits

But you're forgetting the constant drip feed propaganda: "Sharing is Caring", "Privacy is a Crime" & "The Innocent Have Nothing to Hide"

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why? Just Why?

IMHO, anyone with half a brain would stay well clear of "No Talk".

Sadly, there is 'nowt as queer as folk'.

Shakes head in amazement.

1. DJV Silver badge

Re: Why? Just Why?

Indeed, but there are probably still people out there who don't have friends who are either in IT or who have been previous TalkTalk victims customers. So these people end up being conned by the rose-tinted adverts until they learn the truth about how "good" TalkTalk's service is. Safe bet that most of them won't be back after their contract runs out...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Indeed, but there are probably still people out there who don't have friends who are either in IT or who have been previous TalkTalk victims customers."

It's the PT Barnum effect.

2. alanh02

I have Talk Talk and a permanent vpn. It has never let me down and I get the full advertised speed, even here in deepest darkest Wales so, no complaints here

1. hugo tyson
          Thumb Up

Me too; 79,9xx kB/s from advertised 80Mb FTTC. It's fine (touch wood).

Had one issue, it was a rusty wire just outdoors, where the pair changes to thinner indoor wire.

I should have looked closer myself, but they were fine and not too slow about coming.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

In my case, it's 3 Mbps max.

2. JDX Gold badge

Their main area of complaint seems to be customer service, but most people rarely need to contact CS after they get it running.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

In my case, no matter who I'm with I get a shit speed.

No point going through all that hassle of changing ISPs just to get the same speed I'm getting now.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cheap

Talk-Talk - ‘Reaasuringly cheap’

Did. It know they owned Daisy, though it makes sense now.

5. Bavaria Blu

white label or wholesale division

I have read elsewhere that the wholesale division has been doing well. I wonder who these companies are? Former local / regional ISPs?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like