back to article BGP hijacker booted off the Internet's backbone

A year-long effort to stop an accused “bad actor” who hijacked border gateway protocol (BGP) routes has borne fruit, with giant Hurricane Electric and Portugal's IPTelecom joining in cutting off an organisation called Bitcanal. Dyn detailed the process, which is nearing completion a year after German Internet exchange DE-CIX …

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Good news all round

Like everyone on the planet I hate spam(the electronic kind).. So if this results in even a 5% reduction I am more than happy.

What I don't understand though is why it takes so long to get the wheels moving as proof would appear to be relatively simple to obtain.

Anyway cheers to the AntiSpammers of this world..

1. Ol' Grumpy
      Thumb Up

Re: Good news all round

It involves BGP - everything takes ages! ;)

2. Peter2 Silver badge

My feeling is that most spam is done by a handful of people. If you look at the spam logs closely you can pretty much tell when the spammers take holidays and aren't "working".

For me personally, January was quite interesting. The 1st through the 14th had a relatively low tiny level of spam (<20%) The 16th-19th had a big blip of 80%, which then dropped down to ~20% again until the 28th (interestingly a Sunday, which is unusual as weekends are normally dead quiet for spam) where for the next few days up to 94.67% of emails received were spam.

Almost as if somebody took a 14 day holiday, was back for a couple of days and then went off on holiday again, followed by coming back and unleashing a tsunami of spam that bordered on being a DDOS.

1. Mike Moyle

"Almost as if somebody took a 14 day holiday, was back for a couple of days and then went off on holiday again..."

So the authorities need to start sweeping up records from Trivago and the other travel aggregator sites for matching travel dates...? Don't give them ideas!

2. herman

Ayup - in my experience spam activity follows the American holiday calendar. So we should cut all those damn Yankees off the intertubes to get some peace and quiet.

3. Orv Silver badge

I think the main reason it takes so long is there's no central authority for these things. Each individual peering provider has to be independently convinced to cut them off. I think we should be glad that cutting a business off from the Internet is not something that people do lightly.

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

"Each individual peering provider has to be independently convinced to cut them off."

It's worse than that.

Engineering and security will cut them off and be overridden by sales forcing a reconnection, with management backing them up on pain of sacking.

The fact that these assholes don't pay their bills and cause massive loss of reputation never sinks in, the salestwats and managlement concerned almost always turn out to have had palms personally greased to ensure reconnection.

Pink contracts are most emphatically NOT a thing of the past - just better hidden.

2. cantankerous swineherd

in other words, the internet is broken.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

That's not news. It is however, the least broken worldwide communication system we have managed to come up with.

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

" It is however, the least broken worldwide communication system we have managed to come up with."

But there are plenty of people working on that.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whois Bitcanal aka Ebony Horizon?

Domínio: ebonyhorizon.pt

Registered Trademarks - INPI 411476

Person: Joao Silveira

Phone: +351220915985, Portugal: 707 450 060, UK/Europe: +44-2035143750, USA/Canada: 1-877-379-2127

Data de Submissão: 05-08-2013

Data de Expiração: 04-08-2022

Titular: EBONYHORIZON TELECOMUNICAÇÕES, S.A. Rua 28 de Janeiro 350 - Edificio X, Vila Nova de Gaia, Praceta da Geminação, N.º 19, 1º Dto, Tras., 4400-335 Vila Nova de Gaia, PT jcs@bitcanal.com

Re: Whois Bitcanal aka Ebony Horizon?

All those phone numbers are VOIPs (surprise surprise), so they could be anywhere.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurricane Electric actually did something good for once?

Maybe they can boot King Servers as well.

Re: Hurricane Electric actually did something good for once?

"Maybe they can boot King Servers as well."

If you post the evidence to Nanog, that maybe might happen sooner than you think.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon