back to article Absolutely... fabless: Marvell swallows a large dose of Cavium

Fabless semiconductor company Marvell has become 40 per cent bigger today by completing its $6bn Cavium gobble. As is customary in such situations, Cavium CEO Syed Ali said the merger would "unlock significant opportunities", which you'd assume would include the "synergies" also mentioned in the press release. The firms have …

1. Steve K
    Pint

Brilliant Heading

Nothing relevant to say except - what a brilliant heading - hats off for that one, Sir!!

Steve

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Brilliant Heading

Yes sweetie, darling

Mine's the Armani -->

2. Dwarf

Would have preferred it the other way around

I've had a lot of good experience with Cavium cards over the years, however my experiences with Marvell over the same time have not been so good.

Lets hope that the Cavium engineering, quality and testing teams moves to Marvell !!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Would have preferred it the other way around

"Lets hope that the Cavium engineering, quality and testing teams moves to Marvell !!"

Remember the 'synergies' ...i.e. "we've already got engineering, quality and testing teams so here's a bunch of pink slips for yours".

Anyway, ARM cores ... aren't all the cool kids doing Risc-V now?

3. razorfishsl

It's bad.....

The market is loosing diversity just when it is needed, plus there is the added danger of China companies snapping up all this tech and competitors not being in place to support the market.

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

It's called the free market. You can't shout its virtues from the rooftops when they are in your favor only to complain and grumble when they are not.

That said, I'm all for competition but, realistically, given the sheer amount of money involved in that industry, you seriously cannot expect a large number of players to survive for very long.

We're not talking pizza parlors here.

1. eldakka

> It's called the free market. You can't shout its virtues from the rooftops when they are in your favor only to complain and grumble when they are not.

Why not?

Hypocrisy has a long and storied history ;)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like