back to article Japanese cryptominer slapped with suspended sentence

A Japanese man has received a suspended sentence for using a cryptominer in a failed attempt to turn an illicit profit. Masato Yasuda, 24, was told he'd be jailed for a year if he reoffended in the next three years over a scam that earned him just £34. The case is thought be the first criminal prosecution over so-called …

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Tracking perpetrators is hard, said Troy Mursch

So... how did the police get him? Did he his name in his tool's code, did he embed his home address, what?

1. Blockchain commentard
      Trollface

Re: Tracking perpetrators is hard, said Troy Mursch

Wanting to make sure you're not caught?

2. IceC0ld

Re: Tracking perpetrators is hard, said Troy Mursch

So... how did the police get him? Did he his name in his tool's code, did he embed his home address, what?

=======

probably called Police to complain about the returns from the scam, as he was probably led to believe it was a done deal, watertight, no money back guarantee ...................

2. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

Maybe I can *cough* "distribute" a miner on my company's laptops/servers etc... *cough* and blame it on an unknown ne'er-do-well when the dastardly miners are uncovered...

Mmmm. Must be the BOFH inside me.

3. Mark 85

Maybe I can *cough* "distribute" a miner on my company's laptops/servers etc... *cough* and blame it on an unknown ne'er-do-well when the dastardly miners are uncovered...

Mmmm. Must be the BOFH inside me.

Go big time... infecte the whole company including call center, etc, and every computer you can find. Don't forget any PC/Servers sitting in your storage area. If you're going to do the crime, make sure it's worth the time* and that you have assets to go hide in some country without an extradition agreement.

*Time = potential jail time.

1. Justice
      Devil

"Hello, Friend..."

There are 33 countries with which Britain does not have an extradition agreement: Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belarus, Bhutan, Cameroon, China, Dominican Republic, Egypt, Ethiopia, Georgia, Iran, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Madagascar, Mongolia, Namibia, Oman, Pakistan, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, UAE, Ukraine, Uzbekistan, Venezuela and Yemen.

Where do we begin???

4. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, the thorough and wide-ranging analysis of the facts you used to back up that assertion has entirely convinced me.

Also, you only have one other comment going back to March 2016, but you decided to use your old account again just to post *that*?

5. imanidiot Silver badge

People like this who make a few bucks are usually the ones caught. The ones that earn big are also usually the ones smart enough to stay out of the spotlight and collect.

6. JJKing
    Facepalm

Country missing?

There are 33 countries with which Britain does not have an extradition agreement:

North Korea is not on the list. Does the UK have an extradition treaty with the Norks?

7. MikeyL

Poor understanding of how Crypto mining works

I have to say this sentence does seem somewhat harsh given the guy is clearly an idiot and though he could earn anything meaningful by hijacking PCs. It reminds me of the UK sentencing a coin forger who managed to counterfeit about £1 per hour in fake currency - I.e below minimum wage. The only interesting thing is he chose a Privacy Coin. In the future Bitcoin will die as the market splits betwee Privacy Coins like Bitcoin Incognito and Compliance Coins like Ripple’s XRP.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like