back to article Google releases lite PC-snooper, 'cos full mobile management is hard

Google’s released a Chrome extension that lets admins snoop on the state of PCs accessing its cloudy productivity and infrastructure products. The “Endpoint Verification” extension works on Chrome OS, MacOS or Windows devices. The latter two platforms need a “native helper” too. Once installed, the software lets admins create …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That would be nice

That would have been grand. If it did not require you to run the BIGGER snooper on which it piggibacks. So for a lot of us it is no different from a standalone MDM agent.

2. Ole Juul

Don't know why but

It’s billed as a reporting tool,

just get's my back up. Especially coming from Google.

3. RyokuMas
    Trollface

"Google’s released a Chrome extension that lets adminsthem snoop..."

TFTFY

4. Bavaria Blu
    Happy

Seems like a great idea. Presumably you can see which user is using any particular device, and their usefname / email address so they can be contacted?

The more I see of G Suite the more I wish we could deploy it here.

1. EnviableOne

The Article 29 working party would disagree, MS Cloud has GDPR equivalence, GCloud not so much

5. JimmyPage Silver badge
    Linux

Linux ?

accidental omission ?

6. stephanh

I am sceptical

Fundamentally, this scheme needs to assume that the local Chrome install and the extension are untampered-with. But I don't see how it can guarantee that.

Let's say I am a black hat. I'll observe the extension under a debugger, track which system calls are made to do the checks it does. Then patch the binary to just always return a good answer. Presto, compromised extension, which I will bundle with my malware to replace the existing extension.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like