back to article While you were basking in the sun, the relentless march of the Windows-maker continued

Seven days is a long time in the Microsoft world, although possibly not long enough to complete an April 2018 Update of Windows 10. This week brought both good and bad news from the bowels of Redmond. Windows giveth and taketh away While Microsoft quietly did away with support for older CPUs in Windows 7, Windows 10 saw fixes …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Thumb Up

A wonderful intro

Seven days is a long time in the Microsoft world, although possibly not long enough to complete an April 2018 Update of Windows 10.

ROFL. Brilliant.

2. Waseem Alkurdi

Also, Dubai needs to find a new way to burn money after building that indoor ski slope.

Hats-off to you guys.

People are dying of hunger in Syria (notable example among others) and the idiots have nothing to do but build extravagant white elephants.

Edit: And gold-plated modes of transport and fund Microsoft too.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

The oil-rich states aren't all idiots - they know that the oil revenues won't last for ever, hence the franchising of famous art galleries and bids to become international airport hubs.

As one of their leaders said decades ago: "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stone"

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

People are dying of hunger in Syria

> Pretending that wasn't the plan all along and the plan is heavily financed by Saudis & Friends.

What is this, am I reading the NYT?

1. Geoffrey W

What is this comment? Am I reading Conspiracy.news?

3. Waseem Alkurdi

Classic IntelliMouse

Microsoft, we've seen how the New Nokia 3310©®™ sold well, surpassing the (real) Nokia 3310.

(/s, just in case)

4. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

I'm still using an intellimouse from 16yrs ago, one of the 5 button ones that's attached to my mediaserver along with one of the MS multimedia keyboards (1.0A) that's even older.

Both work flawlessly still, because MS used to make good gear back then... Not sure I'd trust them anymore... especially as they'll probably bundle some way of harvesting your data with it now... Cynical... me... Experience proves I need to be.

I especially like the fact I can remove the top of the keyboard casing and literally wash it to get rid of all the gunk, dust, hair and so forth that gets down between the keys... Far better than having to pull all of the keycaps of of my current corsair (RGB) gaming keyboard on my gaming machine to clean that properly... and then the seemingly endless task of double checking you've got each key in the right position when putting it back together... Because there's always a few you position incorrectly.

So whilst brining back the mouse may be a good thing for us oldies for some nostalgia. I won't be getting one because my old one still works fine, and if it ever breaks I still have the wireless version of it in a drawer.

1. Alister

whilst brining back the mouse

Hmmm, salt cured mouse?

Delicious!

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting...

It's interesting that MS are now the subject of rumour stories about possible upcoming hardware. People moan a lot, but when you have rumours and speculation that sort of implies that there's at least a bit of a following. Nobody gives a toss when Dell might have a new tablet/laptop but somehow MS are rumourworthy with their shiny aluminium toys now? Well I suppose the Surface Laptop (sirlap? SLap? SurfTop?) is sexier than a MacBook these days...

6. MrDamage Silver badge

bugger the mouse

Bring back the optical trackball.

It's about the only piece of hardware MS has produced that truly outshines any of its rivals.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: bugger the mouse

If having your ball and rollers removed and replaced with a red light and sensor wasn't bad enough, you want to do that to the poor thing.

For shame Sir, for shame.

1. Multivac

Re: bugger the mouse

Am I the only one who found it weirdly satisfying scraping the build up of compacted fluff of the rollers?

7. AnthonyP69

South Paw?

The new Intellimouse does seem to suffer from one thing, only good for right handed people!

Although I am right handed, I have had to use my mouse in the left due to a shoulder issue, try and find a mouse that works just as good in the left as the right?

Luckly my Intellimouse Optical 1.1a still works!

1. Lusty

Re: South Paw?

My Wheelmouse Optical 1.1A also still works, and is old enough to have the old MS logo on the back and the button texture has worn down to shiny and smooth.

Got to say my Surface Arc Mouse is a thing of beauty though, and lives in my laptop bag for work.

8. AJ MacLeod

So is it just me that always loathed mice with those stupid side buttons, carefully placed precisely where you need to grip the thing in order to move it? One second you're carefully selecting text and the next second there's a flurry of unwanted clicking and some helpfully defined button assignments have emailed your selection to the person you'd least want to read it...

1. herman

Aha, is that where Samsung got the idea from for their auto pic SMS feature?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like