back to article Surveys-as-a-service outfit Typeform spilled a backup from May

Spanish Web form and survey company Typeform has announced a data breach in June, affecting data dated May, after someone gained access to one of the company's backup files. The company said the intruder accessed files “from a partial backup dated May 3rd, 2018”, and said it will contact all affected customers. “We identified …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Joke

Electoral Commission for State of Tasmania

“name, address, email and date of birth information”

What about head-two's data?

2. Pascal Monett Silver badge

t.co ?

Could companies please refrain from using URL shorteners ? It keeps people from checking that the URL should indeed go to where it is supposed to given the supposed source.

It's hard enough to ensure that spam and malware are avoided, but if you go and obfuscate the URL well that's the end of it. I never click on those things, whenever I see one my paranoia flares up something fierce.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: t.co ?

I think Twitter automatically replaces URLs in tweets with a t.co version. I guess Twitter wants to track who is clicking what - part of the "users" being the product.

2. GnuTzu

Re: t.co ?

"please refrain from using URL shorteners"

Yeah (voted up), there are services for looking these things up--without actually going to the site, but it's still weak. People are lazy enough about watching out for dangerous links, and shortened URL's are just making them lazier.

3. Tromos

Seems to me that the data breach took place a lot earlier. Did the Fortnum & Mason customers give explicit permission for their personal data to be handed over to Typeform?

4. terry 15

Seems to apply to travelodge users too:

"

At Travelodge we take the safeguarding of customer data very seriously.

On Friday 29th June 2018 we were notified by Typeform, a third party company who manage customer surveys and competitions on behalf of many companies, including Travelodge, that they have been the victim of a data security incident which has affected the personal data they hold about you.

<blah blah snip>

"

5. GTSageDev

Travelodge also affected

Just had an email from Travelodge:

"At Travelodge we take the safeguarding of customer data very seriously.

On Friday 29th June 2018 we were notified by Typeform, a third party company who manage customer surveys and competitions on behalf of many companies, including Travelodge, that they have been the victim of a data security incident which has affected the personal data they hold about you.

Throughout the weekend, we have been working very closely with Typeform to establish the facts.

We can confirm that your Travelodge account, bookings, passwords, and payment details have not been affected by this incident. However, Typeform believe that your first name, date of birth, mobile number, email address have been acquired by an unauthorised third party. "

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Travelodge also affected

Me too, I forwarded it to el reg not realising they had already reported it, silly me.

However I don't seem to remember the GDPR opt-in though I may be mistaken.

6. GnuTzu
    Trollface

Can We Have a Survey About How Safe Surveys Are?

If you live in an oppressive political situation, would you really want to fill out a survey about your political orientation? And, if you live in repressive society, would you really want to fill out a survey about your sexual orientation and/or proclivities?

But, we've already seen surveys used for political manipulation by way of Facebook.

I think I may never fill out another survey. But then, what the hell am I doing expressing my opinion here?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Can We Have a Survey About How Safe Surveys Are?

Funny you mention politics, as the Lib Dems just emailed me to say responses to a survey I filled in were in the data breach.

"This survey also contained information about your political opinions, such as the campaigns and policy areas that are most important to you."

2. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Re: Can We Have a Survey About How Safe Surveys Are?

I think I may never fill out another survey

I used to get phone calls from survey companies[1].. my response was always the same "what are you going to pay me for my information? It obviously has value otherwise you wouldn't have phoned me.."

Eventually the calls tailed off - I guess my reputation spread.

[1] Despite being on the TP register. My second question was always "Where did you get my information? I want to know so that I can raise a complaint.."

7. Shelleycat

Surveys always..

The email telling of the lib Dems survey breach itself contains a survey question.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like