back to article Brave Brave browser's hamburger menu serves Tor onion routing

Brave Software has updated its web browser so that its private mode actually supports privacy, or nearly – a few lingering technical issues still need to get ironed out. The outfit's latest desktop release, Brave 0.23, integrates Tor, the free open-source software that aims to help netizens evade online surveillance, in its …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google's "prove you are human" challenges

I'm pretty sure they are doing that just because they're pissed about people trying to avoid giving up their personal info and not "paying" for the use of Google.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'Activist'

Another one of those words that has been claimed by those that don't deserve it. Quite often, 'Protester' or 'Disgruntled of Tunbridge Wells' is more appropriate.

3. Bavaria Blu
    Black Helicopters

Who are you hiding from?

I would have though surfing via Tor would be a red flat to a surveillance organisation. The exit notes are also likely to have been infiltrated. Perhaps as a second layer on top of using an unregistered SIM card or wifi in a coffee shop. I'm not sure sitting at home on ADSL with Tor brings you much privacy, apart from your ISP.

Does the browser itself act as a Tor exit node?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Who are you hiding from?

Given that your ISP now has to record all your websurfing some privacy from them might be useful. GCHQ used to do it but then Snowden came along and the govt thought "why are we paying for this now they all know it's happening?!"

Given that some ISPs *cough* TalkTalk *cough* have a history of crap security it's only a matter of time before there's a hack and surfing histories get out. And then people become candidates for blackmail (eg tell your facebook/linked contacts what your surfing history reveals about your sexual preferences). There were a few suicides after the Ashley Madison leak, and there'll likely be some when an ISP gets hacked.

I don't expect there to be anything too weird in my own history but I still don't want it sent to my mother or my boss. Privacy is worth having - it's about respect.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Likely? The Tor exits nodes are all pretty much known to be operated by or infiltrated by the FBI.

1. elip

Not sure why the downvote. Maybe for the word *all* in your comment? There are *some* known FBI exit nodes for sure, and there will likely be more. Don't forget the Onion protocol is a DoD baby.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Does it matter if the exit nodes are compromised? Assuming that the network conceals where the traffic came from then they get to see the traffic (which presumably is HTTPS in any case) but they I think they still don't know who you are, unless they can do some browser-fingerprinting trick or something?

4. This post has been deleted by its author

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like