back to article Chrome sends old Macs on permanent Safari: Browser bricks itself

Apple fans who still run macOS Mavericks and earlier on their computers won't be able to run Google's Chrome browser any more. Reg readers tell us that their copies of Chrome have automatically updated to a version of the browser that requires macOS 10.10 (aka Yosemite), meaning anyone running 10.9 Mavericks and below can no …

1. ratfox

One in twenty users?

According to StatCounter, 3.4% of Macs still run Mavericks, and 1.6% are even on Snow Leopard (link).

Then again, StatCounter data has been known to be highly questionable. For instance, they claim Google owns 66% of the search engine market share in Korea (link), and that's... dubious... to say the least.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Speaking of outdated kit

> Speaking of outdated kit: ...anything likely older than a Pentium 4 from the year 2000.

New Pentium III were released as late as 2003!

And Pentium 3 was sold as long as their failed Pentium 4, there wasn't even a Pentium 4 non-desktop CPU. Mobile and server stayed on Pentium III. And the successor of Pentium 4, named Intel M and Intel Core were based on Pentium III as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_III_microprocessors

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"there wasn't even a Pentium 4 non-desktop CPU"

Times being hard and the sister needing a new laptop, my Dad went out and bout a Toshiba one from PC World back in 2003/2004. It came with a Pentium 4 D processor.

You could fry eggs on it, it ran so hot it could've started a fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

> Toshiba Pentium 4 D - You could fry eggs on it, it ran so hot it could've started a fire.

No wonder, it's the dual-core Pentium 4 successor, based on Pentium 4. There was no mobile CPU version of Pentium D.

So it was rather insane to put such a hot running CPU inside a notebook. There were those 17" and 19" rather big notebooks with a battery that lasted like 30min. Well Toshiba was a rather shitty notebook maker. With the worst driver support of any company.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Pentium_D_microprocessors

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@AC; "it's the dual-core Pentium 4 successor, based on Pentium 4. There was no mobile CPU version of Pentium D."

Was there ever a Pentium 4-based mobile processor, full stop? I'd be surprised if there was.

As I remember- and Wikipedia confirms- Intel's mobile line around that time (the Pentium M) was based on the Pentium III, and it started to get a reputation as a serious choice for those wanting to build a more energy-efficient *desktop* PC.

That last bit- along with the fact that the Pentium 4's increasingly energy-hungry architecture was a dead-end anyway- probably explains why they used the (Pentium III-derived) Pentium M as the basis of the first-generation Intel Core chips.

2. Korev Silver badge

>there wasn't even a Pentium 4 non-desktop CPU

I had one in an IBM T20. It was unfeasibly slow, I'd start the boot process and head over to the canteen to buy a coffee instead of waiting for it...

The next machine work gave me was a Dell D620 with a Core 2 Duo, it felt soooo fast!

3. david 12 Silver badge

And AMD also only got SSE2 in 2003.

SSE2 only went mainstream in 2012 (when VS enabled default SSE2).

Still, even my P4 machines are XP or Win2K. It's not like I would want to put Win7 on them anyway.

2. big_D Silver badge

Re: One in twenty users?

Mine is still on Lion, as that is the last version that supports the hardware... But it spends most of its time in Windows these days, as Windows still gets support.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Source for it being dubious?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

So apple dumped support after 2 1/2 years.... Nice. Makes my 3 years of support on my Android phone look good...

https://www.blog.google/products/android-enterprise/android-enterprise-recommended-raising-the-bar-of-excellence-for-enterprise-mobility/

"Delivery of Android security updates within 90 days of release from Google, for a minimum of three years"

1. doublelayer Silver badge

Sort of but not exactly. Since 10.9, new versions of the OS are free and can be installed relatively easily. It's not like windows 10; it will actually run pretty much the same. Since they didn't leave any models on 10.9 (everything on 10.9 supports up to 10.11), they supported it for less. I believe they still release security patches for 10.11 because older machines have reached the last supported OS. Incidentally, I'd recommend everyone running less than 10.11 upgrade to it, because it is significantly more stable, and that nobody upgrade from 10.11, especially to 10.13.

1. big_D Silver badge

@doubelayer except for those one machines that are no longer compatible with new versions. Mine is on Lion, because that is the last version that it can run, it can't run anything newer... The hardware is still fine, it is just very insecure under OS X. Under Windows 7, it still gets monthly security updates.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC,

I think you're in the wrong thread... This is about Google dropping support for Chrome on an old version of macOS. Apple has nothing to do with this, and this is about desktops/laptops, not phones.

5. tiggity Silver badge

Given that Snow Leopard is last Apple OS you can install on many old Macs (newer OSes require specs an old machine does not have) then users either face binning kit (why bother if it still works), keep running Snow Leopard or install a different OS

Plus, lots of folk like Snow Leopard GUI and do not like changes that came after it

2. heyrick Silver badge

Mavericks isn't exactly a spring chicken

That's still no excuse for forcing an update that disables the product.

Still, Google have form in this respect. Google Docs on iOS 7 disabled itself without being updated when Google "decided" that iOS 7 was too old (about the time iOS 9 came around, IIRC). Because God forbid a user being happier staying with what works than to try a 5GBish download on rural broadband to install on older hardware (and with the thing with the implicit slow down of older hardware "to preserve the battery"...).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mavericks isn't exactly a spring chicken

"That's still no excuse for forcing an update that disables the product."

They have an excuse: It's free and not to patch would leave it in vulnerable to security issues.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter that its not a spring chicken, we're just talking a browser here, not some RDBMS thats intricately linked to the OS kernel. There is zero reason not to support older versions of OS/X other than they simply can't be bothered and/or the intern they've got looking after their build system doesn't understand the concept of #ifdef.

1. Malcolm 1

Except for the need to maintain the codebase (ifdefs increase complexity dramatically) and to test it - which means mainting an obsolete and unsupported OS.

1. heyrick Silver badge

"which means mainting an obsolete and unsupported OS"

My oh my.

Aren't we supposed to be nerdy around these parts? There's nothing wrong with dropping support for a little used architecture. There is everything wrong with dropping support and then having software upgrade itself to a version that no longer works because said support has been dropped!

1. heyrick Silver badge

"Aren't we supposed to be nerdy"

I'll give an example of how to do this better:

MegaBrowser version 1.23 installed on various machines running the old XyzzyOS. Support for them will soon be dropped as few people use them (I'm sure this was a planned obsolescence, not somebody's Tuesday afternoon whim).

So the company will push out MegaBrowser 1.24 like normal, however the build for XyzzyOS will no longer have any automatic update functionality and attempts to check for updates will open a dialogue explaining that XyzzyOS is no longer supported, that the software may be insecure because it isn't going to be updated any more, and whatever corporate bull they think might help push users to install the brilliant new Copland OS Enterprise.

1. coconuthead

the software may be insecure

And there you have it—"the software may be insecure". The big browser makers, including Google, Apple and Microsoft are collectively forcing the web in general to abandon insecure practices, particularly bad cipher suites and old versions of SSL. This is happening in the browsers themselves, and also at the OS infrastructure level (certificates, HTTP/2).

These companies are quite open, in technical talks and blogs, that this is their aim.

Harsh as it is, I don't want people running old insecure systems online. It's the same principle as forcing old unsafe vehicles off the road. It is bad luck for those individuals but necessary for the greater good.

If they don't aggressively nuke these installations you will get the situation where you have islands of outdated clients talking to outdated servers and modern clients unable to participate. That was the situation for years with IE6 and then with Flash, and Google, Apple, etc. will be well aware of that pitfall.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Re: the software may be insecure

"Harsh as it is, I don't want people running old insecure systems online. It's the same principle as forcing old unsafe vehicles off the road. It is bad luck for those individuals but necessary for the greater good."

A moronic comparison. An unsafe vehicle may cost lives, an unsafe browser may (in a miniscule number of cases) cost some lost personal data. There's an exponential difference in consequences.

1. Anonymous Coward
                  Anonymous Coward

not quite.

anything old and insecure that is connected to the internet can have an impact on the internet as a whole, since they become prime targets for botnets.

taking that view the analogy of the road holds up.

1. Anonymous Coward
                    Anonymous Coward

"taking that view the analogy of the road holds up."

Until someone dies from slight networking or DNS lookup delays caused by a botnet then the analogy may hold water - until then its bollocks.

2. heyrick Silver badge

"you have islands of outdated clients talking to outdated servers and modern clients unable to participate"

How is that relevant to open protocols like HTTP? I can fetch a web page in telnet if I feel so inclined.

Furthermore, why is this an issue? If the client speaks an older protocol (assuming some sort of proprietary protocol as http hasn't changed much and supporting it is just too difficult) then the client doesn't talk to the server any more. To halt all progress because some old stuff remains is every bit as moronic as having a browser update itself to an incompatible version...

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Except for the need to maintain the codebase (ifdefs increase complexity dramatically)"

Not when its different versions of the same OS. The actual differences will be slight if anything at all.

2. coconuthead

It's doing networking, and Apple have been fairly aggressively tinkering with their networking stacks (yes, plural, there are multiple ones). For example, after Mavericks the entire domain name resolution subsystem was replaced. Apple also sunset insecure stuff like WEP, SMBv1 and old SSL versions before almost anyone else (because they can, and some big player has to).

I don't know how much of the networking stack Chrome implements for itself, but it's certainly possible there's some API in Yosemite or later they want to use.

This is before we get to other API changes in the UI etc.

So, yes, a program of Chrome's size and complexity probably *is* "intricately linked" to the OS, kernel and other supplied components.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It's doing networking, and Apple have been fairly aggressively tinkering with their networking stacks"

There's something called the sockets API. Its remained unchanged pretty much since the 80s and it hasn't changed on the current version of OS/X so your argument is rubbish. The changes to the networking stacks should - if apple has got it right - be completely invisible to a userspace application.

1. coconuthead

80s sockets isn't enough for a modern app

"There's something called the sockets API. Its remained unchanged pretty much since the 80s..."

Funny, getaddrinfo() and kqueue()/epoll() weren't there in the 1980s. So if you want IPv6 support and to avoid the well-known performance problems with select(), you have to use more modern code.

Assuming you have getaddrinfo(), does the implementation and version you have support IDNA? Do you need to do the punycode conversion in your app or is it done for you inside getaddrinfo()?

Have you ever tried implementing Happy Eyeballs using just getaddrinfo() and BSD sockets? I have, and it's ugly, due in no small part to the lack of async interface in getaddrinfo(). Far easier just to call the complete, transparent, implementation Apple provide... which does not use the BSD API.

How about access to the system certificate store? Not even thought of in the 1980s.

DNS discovery? Sure, they could include a complete DNS asynch implementation in Chrome (and, for all I know, do) but there's one written by Apple just waiting.

They probably implement HTTP using a library but Apple give you that too. Again, not in the BSD API.

BTW Apple do support most of their networking improvements in the (what they regard as legacy) BSD API, but there are a few things only supported in their own implementation. Once you start trying to support iOS as well, there's no contest: you can't turn on the 4G radio using BSD, so although present it's essentially useless.

1. david 12 Silver badge

Re: 80s sockets isn't enough for a modern app

Also true for Windows and linux -- you have to go outside the Sockets API to do stuff not common on 1970's unix.

It would be nice if there was support for a set of common standard extenstions to the socket API, but none of the players have ever been interested.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why use Chrome anyway?

Isn't is a data slurp engine for Google?

I use Firefox 52.8.1-ESR on my MacBook (bought secondhand btw). Search is via DDG or Startpage or via a VPN when travelling.

If I have to use Google directly then I fire up Safari.

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Why use Chrome anyway?

All internetworking machines are metadatabase slurp engines, AC. It matters not a jot what browser or network or processor you use to learn of future ongoing developments whenever human input corrupts to garbage output which encourages SMARTR IntelAIgent Systems to beta flash crash outmoded analogous systems administrations.

And being thoroughly addicted to the EMPowering Enablement of the Internetworking Metadatabase Slurp Engine Machine has one being led by Remote AI and IT Ventures ...... which is itself a Virtual Machine proving Itself to be Almighty and Disruptively Creative whenever Destructive is Self-Defeating and Unnecessary ie Not in Vested Future Best Interests.

Of course, to not disagree with all or any of that, one has to be able and/or enabled to realise/see the Infinitely Bigger Picture for Remote Virtual Access to Effective Practical Command and Control Levers with SMARTR Powerful Energy Buttons.

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

So we've started downvoting amfm

This is a sad day for the Register. I generally don't bother to read his (its?) comments but without them this would be a duller place.

1. the Jim bloke
          Alien

Re: So we've started downvoting amfm

I actually thought this post was a bit .. I dont know,. tired and uninspired ? Not up to previous standard ?

Potentially even comprehensible ? although I stopped trying to parse amfm posts and just read them for the immersion.

A downvote (wasn't from me) under these circumstances could be an artistic criticism and not something hostile.

1. Message From A Self-Destructing Turnip

I suspect the down votes are just the 'outmoded analogous systems administrations' validating their sense of injury.

2. cs9

Maybe the guy who runs the AMFM bot enlisted an army of downvoting bots to further blur the edges of reality?

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

You can tell it's a data slurp engine. When Google decided the cost of supporting Chrome on Mavericks outweighed the value obtained from slurping, they thought it was perfectly acceptable to just shut off Chrome, trapping people's passwords, bookmarks, history, and certificates.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You are correct, Google Chrome contains Spyware named "SwReporter". A tool that scans all your files and uploads a summary incl filename, hashes, etc. to Google servers. The "SwReporter" is a hidden folder on your disc. You cannot deactivate the tool, it only runs when you are not using your notebook/PC and is therefor very hard to trace down. If you delete the tool, it gets reinstalled the next day. It severe drains your battery and shortens your SSD lifetime. Unfortunately news media don't investigate and write about it. So better use a open source Chromium build. (Unfortunatly Firefox after 52 ESR isn't any better, it contains unfriendly behaviour too, and all old addons are nowadays broken) It seems all browsers are sponsored nowadays by the same party, and rather hostile to the users' privacy :(

source: How to block the hidden Chrome tool that sends filenames to Google

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

" It seems all browsers are sponsored nowadays by the same party, and rather hostile to the users' privacy :("

Unfortunately this is the price of free these days. I rather wish GNU would write their own browser because then it really would be free but I guess the manpower required to do so is beyond their resources at the moment.

1. hmv

They have. It's called EMACS.

4. Detective Emil

Users can probably rewind to a working version

I have not tried this, but the following should work:

1. Disable Chrome autoupdate — Google(!) that phrase to find out how.

2. Restore a working version of Chrome from a backup.

That said, those running Mavericks really should update to El Capitain, which is still (just about) receiving security updates from Apple, and supports any hardware that runs Mavericks (provided it has 2GB or more of RAM).

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Users can probably rewind to a working version

(provided it has 2GB or more of RAM)

Have you tried running Mavericks on 2GB of RAM? I'm not surprised some people were less than enthused about upgrading and stopped there.

WTF happened to Snow Leopard?

1. An nonymous Cowerd

"Have you tried running Mavericks on 2GB of RAM"

Yes, I bought a cheap (refurb) 11" MBA quite a while ago (hence with a still working keyboard!)

it did only come with 2GB RAM & a typical apple undersized SSD

It works great on Mavericks, the Memory Pressure being always green

I threw away the tiny apple SSD bar and put a 340GB something from OWC in & performance then tripled, I think the new SSD flash (feels) nearly as fast as RAM, so any swapping isnt noticed. I have MacMinis etc with 16GB RAM running Mojave beta, and the feel of the MBA remains similar to these.

Dont turn down a cheap, old but still good mac, just on terms of low RAM, unless you need VM's of course.

I still have 10.6.8 on some machines, old iMacs with 5GB RAM, and it remains a great OS - but I think highly vulnerable nowadays.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: "Have you tried running Mavericks on 2GB of RAM"

OTOH my iMac crawled until I updated it with 6Gb of RAM (the max) and swapped out the CPU for a Penryn one.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge

Surely a much better approach from Google would be to throw up an error message that their browser is out of date and the user has to explicitly allow the out of date software to open.

By stopping the user from using the browser all together you could be locking them out of information they need to be able to access such as their browsing history or saved passwords. And this sort of approach is not likely to make users want to go back to Chrome even if they did update their OS.

6. Aladdin Sane

Are you saying it's rubber dog shit?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The OS was released in October of 2013, and hasn't had a major update in almost two years."

So the obsolescence life of a PC is now 5 years max?

1. ArrZarr Silver badge

No, considering that Apple will provide free OS upgrades. From previous comments, the only machines that can't be upgraded are those with <2GB RAM. When I last looked for a laptop in 2014, I couldn't find anything with less than 4GB of RAM which implies anything below 2GB would have been an old machine already.

2. PerlyKing

Re: Obsolescence

AC: "So the obsolescence life of a PC is now 5 years max?"

Snarky reply: yes, only Macs last longer ;-)

More serious reply: this is about software, not hardware. My 2010 MBP is running fine on Sierra. My wife's 2010 Lenovo X201 is running Windows 10. I won't say it's running fine, but it's running.

1. Dave K

Re: Obsolescence

The X201 is quite an upgradable machine however. I have one as well with 8GB of RAM and an SSD in it, runs quite speedily for its age. The problem is more that Apple's later kit has the storage and RAM soldered down so you cannot upgrade it. Once a new MacOS comes out that requires more grunt, you quickly end up with an unsupported boat anchor.

8. SamX

Chrome is memory hog

I am still on Mavericks with 8GB RAM and looking forward to an upgrade soon. But I switched to Firefox long, long ago. My observation: (1) Safari uses the most momory efficient in Macs, but some websites don't work properly. (2) FF uses more memory than Safari, but compatibility is much better after v57+. (3) Chrome was great at first, but later became a memory hog and even buggy. Also, they started disliking adblockers (understandably) and kicked them out of Chrome marketplace.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The auto-update nonsense must stop immediately

Doesn't matter if it's a driver, operating system or browser.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The auto-update nonsense must stop immediately

Would be nicer if you could at least opt to take security patches and ignore UI thrashery..

10. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Trollface

So...

...are they going to use the time they save not supporting Maverick to make sure Chrome works properly on High Sierra then?

It regularly seizes, says "connection interrupted" or otherwise falls over for me.

(Before you ask Vivaldi, Firefox, Pale Moon, Safari are all working fine. And yes, I know Vivaldi is based on Chrome...)

11. /dev/null

Switched to Safari

I switched to Safari on my MacBook some time ago after I got pissed off at the main Chrome process (not one of the worker processes) persistently burning lots of CPU time for no good reason. Conveniently, I found a script to reopen current Chrome tabs in Safari, which avoided manually recreating the dozens of tabs over half-a-dozen windows I perpetually have open :-). Only things I really miss are favicons and being able to pin tabs in one window only (not in every window as Safari does).

12. Grant Fromage
    Pint

Older apple products used to run very hot too.

Toshiba Pentium 4 D - You could fry eggs on it, it ran so hot it could've started a fire.

Around 2002-3 amongst other jobs was working In a small tv studio in the soho warren, the director was also a graphic artist and had a mac laptop where the back was a heatsink with some whizzy power pc core. (Itanium?? pls correct if misremembered)

He`d put it down on a plastic bag from shopping in Oxford St and it laminated itself to it when he was trying animations of logo`s. I went in a break and got an iced lolly and used the wooden stick suitably whittled to scrape the mess off without damage to the shiny shiny precious artifact.

Beer sign because I earned the couple I was bought as reward. A carrier stuck to a mac doesn`t sound like shit to a blanket, but it was far worse.

13. Jeffrey Nonken

A shame. My 2006 MacBook still works, even though it's a bit creaky. I hesitate to upgrade past Snow Leopard due to performance. But it works.

It's not like I refuse to upgrade. I just bought an Acer Predator Helios 300 and passed along a nearly new Nitro 5 to my daughter. But I hate to throw working hardware away.

Maybe I can get a couple quid for it on eBay.

14. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Still works 10.6.8?

Stuck at v. 49.0.yada

This computer will no longer receive googly updates because Mac OS X 10.6, 10.7, 10.8 are no longer supported - ?? Will Chrome still work even though there are no updates to bork it?

15. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Still works

Mac OS X 10.4.11 with Safari 4.1.3 on an iBook G4 reporting in.

I never bought into the Chrome Kool-Aide. Although I doubt it would ever have run on this processor anyway.

Paris, because pretty old hardware by now.

16. anonymous boring coward Silver badge

I love my oldish MBP, but dread the day that Apple decides that it's not worthy of the next OS upgrade. That's the one major issue I do have with Apple: Planned obsolescence.

17. Kev99 Silver badge

Planned obsolescence or intentional breaching of warranty of merchantability? Or both? The latter used to be illegal in most states.

18. Unicornpiss
    Thumb Down

Here's a thought then..

..if it's not going to run, how about detecting the OS level and NOT updating! Or is that too complex a bit of programming?

19. nanchatte

Bricked? I think not.

Again, something is only bricked if it is rendered unusable without some serious hardware or firmware tinkerage or a return to the vendor.

Other things are merely broken.

20. Tid

This article is not accurate - Chrome only updates itself if you've set that Preference (which I haven't). Chrome still runs on my Mac running Mavericks, and is at v67, though I still get the daily warning that it's no longer supported.

As for Opera, you can download archive versions of it that will run on your OS. Ditto with Firefox. Only Safari and Chrome are the stern taskmasters that don't let you download past versions, so it's as well to keep your own archive of past versions should you ever need them.

1. FrankAlphaXII

Or you can download an old version from one of the third party download sites. I mean Google's already stealing and selling your information, so why not Malware-R-US too?

21. Trooper_ID

options

Could also try Yandex or TOR on Mac. Personally would never use chrome (or google) anyway

22. Tid

There's also iCab, which most users seem to have forgotten about - there are a few different versions which support Macs from High Sierra all the way back to System 7.5

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like