back to article Outage? No, phones are playing silly buggers, insists Sainsbury's Bank

Sainsbury's Bank has insisted to The Register that it is not experiencing an IT outage, despite lots of enraged customers asking why their money isn't moving. Lots of irritated people, including Reg readers who got in touch with us, have been complaining that the orange-hued bank's performance has been less than stellar over …

1. Blockchain commentard

I like how Sainsbury's twitter reply was so personalised - "I'm really sorry name". Yeah, very sorry.

1. Lee D Silver badge

My explanation I use with railway companies, etc:

If you were sorry, you'd do something about making sure it wouldn't happen again.

Any "by-proxy" apologies mean absolutely nothing to me.

You apologise to say "Yes, that was our fault, it shouldn't ever have happened". No other reason. If you're not apologising to admit fault, then it's pointless. If you're apologising and then having to apologise for doing that same thing over and and over again, then it's pointless.

The fact that the wording "we will be reviewing our systems and making sure this doesn't happen again" has become so cliche is a really damning indictment of modern companies and their attitude to problems they cause.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"You apologise to say "Yes, that was our fault, it shouldn't ever have happened". No other reason."

Probably they get the same advice from their legal team as you do from your car insurers if involved in an accident. Never admit blame, let the legal people sort that out for you. In the case of companies, it's not good PR, but maybe it saves them in being sued.

2. Hans 1
      Facepalm

In the haste forgot to adapt the boilerplate reply to the twat*. Seem to be very busy ... coincidence ?

*twat (neologism) twatter user

2. rmason

Dear [name],

Thank you for your [feedback/complaint/praise], it has been forwarded to [team name] and [customer agent] will be in touch ASAP.

Regards

[intern]

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear [Supermarket Bank]

You can take your [Financial product] and [violent insertion adjective] it up your [orifice]

[discourteous sign-off]

[name]

1. hplasm
      Pint

Re: Dear [Supermarket Bank]

Dear [Anonymous Coward]

Please accept our endless [gratitude] for your [invaluable] template.

We shall use it [endlessly].

regards,

The Internet.

4. Victor Ludorum

Well that's odd

So there are no problems with their systems, but both times I have logged in this week I have had a banner at the top of their page saying

We're upgrading our system, so can only offer limited online functionality for now. For transaction information – please call 08085 40 50 60.

1. excession

Re: Well that's odd

Yep. I'm calling Giant Piles of BS on the "phone system upgrade".

As well as the banner above, it also says:

(!) Noticeboard

We're undertaking system updates overnight on Friday 22nd and Saturday 23rd June so online banking won't be available during these times

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well that's odd

You got further than me. I was given the 'go away and come back later' message for most of Sunday and Monday.

On Tuesday I was able to pay my credit card bill - I think. The site said the money had been taken, but it hasn't left my current account and hasn't appeared on the credit card yet, nor have I had an email confirmation that the transaction has been made.

I blame Jamie Oliver - not just this, but in general.

5. fobobob

"I'm sorry Name, I'm afraid I can't do that..."

Still, better than Amazon's "Dear diversity hire..."

6. IanRS

We've seen no transaction or payment problems

We have seen any transactions of payments either for that matter.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is It Time?

Is it time to revert from ATM to UTM (under the mattress)?

8. Colin Bull 1
    Mushroom

If their web site is anything to go by ...

Coincidently I tried to access my car insurance details online yesterday with Sainsburys bank. It says you need to reply to notification email. 2 tries at getting notification email and no emails received.

Phone up ( only 5 or 6 minute wait ) and I am told it must be a problem with my spam box. I have not got a spam box I say. Yes you have the call centre wonk tells me. Do you want me to change the email address and try again. Yes - gave him a different email address.

Same result.

Thought no problem, I will register as a new user. For the second time that day I encountered a web site that would not allow cut and paste of password. F**k this I thought, I have got better things to do with my time, but to be helpful I will let them know why I could not be arsed.

"Sorry our contact form is out of action at present"

What a way to run a railway!

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge
      Coat

Fret not though, you are a valued customer.

Because zero is a value.

9. g4ugm

Clueless Out Sourced Call Handler

Well I am not surprised they had long delays. The person I got did not know the English Alphabet, Took about five minutes to work out what my post code was. Repeatedly asked for date of birth despite front end insisting I put it in before I was passed to a person. Could not answer basic question when I did get through. Put complaint in on-line system, to get e-mail saying "try ringing the call center".

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like