back to article Brit reseller Aria PC's appeal against HMRC VAT fraud finding gets under way

Manchester-based reseller Aria Technology Ltd is appealing against a tax tribunal finding that MD Aria Taheri “knew or ought to have known” that it took part in a VAT carousel fraud. Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs (HMRC) has published a guide to what missing trader intra-community (MTIC) fraud is on the GOV.UK website. …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to say...

... ATL's barrister, Firth, has some serious balls calling the judge out on some of the points of opinion.

1. Saruman the White Silver badge

Re: I have to say...

Most barristers do have serious balls, however they also have a very good idea on how far you can push a judge. In this case I think Firth may have crossed that particular line. When a judge starts frowning at you, that is probably a good point to back off.

2. a pressbutton

Re: The future...

I think he is laying grounds for an appeal

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: The future...

Er, this is the appeal...

3. Adam 52 Silver badge

“You can't just rely on the demeanour of the witness... that’s a conclusion, not a reason.”

"It is common for judges to say they are not impressed by the witness’s evidence.”

Seems to me that they're both right. Judges often say that they are unimpressed by a witness, but that's usually because the witness contradicts themselves, lies, has an incredible story or appears to be making it up as they go along.

Judges dismissing evidence because the witness slumped, looked a bit shifty, eyes were too close together etc. seems wrong.

4. steviebuk Silver badge

I bought a monitor off them in 2006...

...I still have the e-mail :)

19" Hyundai Imagequest Q995 Silver

I thought I regonised the company name.

1. annodomini2

Re: I bought a monitor off them in 2006...

I knew Aria when it was 2 guys in a small section of an industrial estate in Manchester.

Haven't dealt with them for a number of years after we had some issues with returns.

1. Raging Bool

Re: I bought a monitor off them in 2006...

I knew Aria before he even got those two rooms in Longsight, when he was still operating from a flat in Fallowfield. (I was on the same MSc course as him in 1992-1993.)

I helped out from time to time at the Longsight premises and at trade shows, very early on.

The company I work at now, still buys from Aria / Velo regularly.

5. Tony Paulazzo

Aria is my goto hardware store, great customer service (brilliant returns policy now too), hope they win - don't care if they're guilty, they probably still pay more tax than Google and Apple et al...

6. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Interesting points to consider - #47:

a) Mr Justice Roth said: “If you think of a witness who is not giving truthful evidence, you can, on that basis, say you don’t find them convincing....

b) HMRC refused to do this, saying that it had a duty of confidentiality to “the taxpayer” (ie, its opponent, Aria) and told us we would have to make a formal legal application to see it, saying that ATL had refused permission for it to be handed over. When our barrister, Greg Callus of 5RB, turned up, Aria Taheri readily agreed to show us copies of both his own brief’s skeleton and HMRC’s....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like