back to article Israel cyberczar drops hints about country's new security initiative

Israel is planning to develop a "state-level cyber-shield" to improve its resilience against hacking and malware, the country's newly appointed cyberczar said on Wednesday. Yigal Unna, director of Israel's National Cyber Directorate, said the shield would mitigate threats from both private outfits and government organisations …

1. Tom Chiverton 1

"state-level cyber shield"

That's guaranteed to be used to restrict their own people from accessing parts of the Internet, of course. If the UK and China can do it...

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Rather than restrict, it's far better to simply "know"which the Israelis are already very good at....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>That's guaranteed to be used to restrict their own people from accessing parts of the Internet

I don't think that's what Mr. Unna meant by "state-level cyber shield". from what I understand, Mr. Unna meant something like a "digital Iron Dome", but I'm not sure.

I didn't watch PM Netanyahu's public speech about that as I have more urgent things to do.

3. Terry 6 Silver badge

Like to see them try. Israelis are not known for doing as they are told. If there's a rule they'll find a way to break it.

1. MrRimmerSIR!

@Terry 6

Just got back from Labour Live then? How was it?

1. Terry 6 Silver badge

Re: @Terry 6

MrRimmerSIR I think you miss the point.

Hint - The OP that I responded to suggests that Israel's cybersecurity would be "used to restrict their own people from accessing parts of the Internet, " And I said I'd "Like to see them try......"

Think before posting.

2. GnuTzu
    Black Helicopters

Shield or Firewall?

Weasel words!!! When the whole cyber-war thing gets better defined, this will surely spread like a disease among all nations. And, we already know that the good countries already turn their cyber weapons on their own people.

3. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

There be nothing to brag about until ......

Has Israel mastered the ye olde but now post future modern water into wine type trick which has destructive cyber weaponry extraordinarily rendered creative virtual tools? Would they be compelled to fight against them if foreign owned or would they simply buy them in for advanced future beta testing?

Anything else is just as background noise..... accompanying Thudding FUD Fronting Vapourware.

Such is certainly undoubtedly Unit 8200/PLA Unit 61398 type territory for Exploring with Field Agents Targeting Excellent Performers into Delivery of Immaculate Performances.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tell me more about this magic firewall...

1. Mahhn

It's made in China,,,,,,

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

should not have internet

If it wasn't for the criminal in US politics dumping billions into Israel, they would have next to no tech sector (or anything else). It's all money and industry bleed from others. This money will dry up soon, so you better be ready to support yourself.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon