back to article HPE: You want full-blown enterprise software on our Edge boxes? You got it

HPE’s Edgeline family got some love from a bunch of software houses today: they have agreed to validate full-blown versions of their enterprise apps on its hardware. The Edgeline EL1000 and EL4000 hit the streets in 2016, aimed at customers that want to process and analyse data where it is generated rather than sending it to …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whatever you are doing at "the Edge" will have to high enough return on investment or this is a loser's game. I can see the cases where this may hold. That's a hellacious hardware to be positioned outside the datacenter. Whether business can is an open question.

Anyone else one elephant in the room? How theft-proof is this going to be?

2. Hans 1
    Meh

A solution looking for a problem

I do not get it. These are simply servers that are "rugged", not sure what that means, since they are rackable. Where I am supposed to use them ?

article.readAll()

processing ...

Gartner mentioned in article, enabling BS detector.

processing .....

IoT keyword spotted!

Bullshit Bingo!

I see,... just a con to f00l IoT guyz, ok, thought so ... nothing to see, here, move along.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A solution looking for a problem

It really was well served. First the promise to invest $4bn into the R&D on this project. Followed next with the unveiling of Microsoft et al. support out the gateway. Still, I'm puzzled about intent. Again, still.

3. EveryTime

Uhmm, yeah, those things we previously called servers are now 'edge devices'.

Edge and IoT are really things, but most of the marketing-driven renaming of products is BS.

The revolution in embedded/edge devices is based on inexpensive, low-power SoCs with virtualization and enough memory, flash, and networking. Not breaking the ears off of a rack-mount server.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon