back to article Azure admins free to sync their teeth into database-spreader tool

Microsoft announced general availability of its Azure Data Sync tool this week, which allows data to be synchronised between cloudy Azure SQL databases and on-premises servers. Just in time for Azure to go for a good long lie down, in Northern Europe at least. Microsoft Azure on show at Ignite in Orlando Microsoft Azure …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If we are to reduce Consistency to Eventual Consistency (maybe, whenever), there are far better choices amongst the NOSQL (as in Not Only SQL) out there. Then it comes down to what "neat feature" suits best for your implementation.

2. FozzyBear
    Facepalm

By pointing applications at their local copy of the database, Microsoft reckons that access time and responsiveness will be improved significantly and latency and connection failures reduced.

So, Microsoft, what you are saying, is that cloud based solutions are a crappy alternative to managing your data on your own network. Good to know. Thanks

3. Claptrap314 Silver badge

"SQL Server greybeards"? Hardly in this case. We had a MySQL server doing almost this exact thing in 2008. Our farm was in various Texas cities when I started, most states when my turn came in the buy out & shut down cycle. The difference? No troubles replicating all types of data for MySQL.

(In 2009, I wrote code to use federated views to constrain which columns we exported. I learned all about those triggers.)

1. Claptrap314 Silver badge

Oops. Bit of a memory tick after a decade. MySQL replication could NOT handle curtime() & the like. We wrote the triggers to do that. :D

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like