back to article Oracle: Think our DB sales are great now? Wait until we actually get the new product out...

Oracle has capped off a solid fiscal year, and, let's be fair, you can forgive it for boasting that big things are coming for its database line in the coming 12 months. On Tuesday, Larry Ellison's enterprise tech giant delivered both the Q4 and full year 2018 numbers reports. It also described its new tactic of bundling the …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How can revenues be up?

You can almost hear their customers shouting "Thank you, sir. May I have another?" as the punishment continues!

1. TheVogon

Re: How can revenues be up?

How do they manage it? Every peer I know has Oracle as. disinvest.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Wait until we get the new product out

and you have [redacted]/[redacted]/forced your existing customer base onto it...

Larry must need to buy a new Country. Somewhere in the Carribean where he would pay no tax perhaps?

/s

Paris as even she can see a bad beal from a mile off.

3. werdsmith Silver badge

Oracle continue to make big money meanwhile thousands of their legacy customers have their bottom line severely affected by license gouging.

4. leon clarke

What does 'licensing support' mean

Two thirds of the money is in cloud services and licensing support. I'm guessing most of it is licensing support, since people tend to rate Oracle's cloud offering as at best a distant fourth place. But what is licensing support? Is Oracle's licensing model so bad that the world is paying about $20 billion a year to cope with it?

Licensing support seems to bring in significantly more than licensing in any case.

1. phuzz Silver badge

Re: What does 'licensing support' mean

I assume it's the 'friendly name' for their license enforcement division.

Speaking of which, you read the article with both eyes, however your license only allows for single-eye reading, so Oracle are going to have to fine you. Oh, and once they fine you you still have to pay to upgrade your license for binocular reading.

1. PM from Hell

Re: What does 'licensing support' mean

Oh And the instructions to turn on binocular reading was included in the release install guide, but you really should not have turned it on if you didn't want the license cost to increase. What do you mean your DBA/ Unix admin / gap year student isn't a licencing expert???

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like