back to article PC nerds: Can't get no SATA-isfaction? Toshiba flaunts NVMe SSD action

Toshiba has claimed its new consumer NVMe SSD blasts the performance cobwebs off SATA SSDs. The RC100 is an M.2 card format SSD and was previewed at CES in January. Toshiba has positioned it as a budget drive and hopes it will spread NVMe adoption outwards from the enterprise market to the consumer one. Comparing it with …

1. MiguelC Silver badge

What about endurance?

TLC is known for being cheaper than MLC, but also for lesser endurance. When evaluating cost and performance, that's something to take into account too.

1. l8gravely

Re: What about endurance?

Right, I bet the Pro model has a much better warrantee than the new version, and more drive writes per day metric as well. The details matter.

But dang, those numbers are nice! Now to get a PCI riser card for my old system(s) to use stuff like this.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Already out there for quite some time. Some of the cards that take more than one M.2 drive do interesting things similar to RAID0.

2. Oneman2Many

Unless you are using it for data centre levels of writes then a non-issue these days. Techreport tested a Samsung 250GB 840 TLC drive and managed it managed 900 TB of writes before dying. In case you are wondering that would be almost 10 years of writing at 250GB per day.

https://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

Of course the drive could die on the first day so I am sure you are keeping backups right ?

3. John M. Drescher

I guess we will be having the same discussion when QLC becomes mainstream and TLC is only had in the high end with MLC fading away.

2. Bob Ajob

Not bad stats

Still mostly happy with my Samsung 960 NVMe after a few hundred drive writes but damn these things get hot when busy, definitely want a decent heatsink on them if not an active cooler.

3. Graham Cobb Silver badge

What do I need to specify on my next motherboard?

I'm looking to replace one of my systems later this year and I am thinking this will make a great system disk.

What do I need to look for in my motherboard specs to make sure I can use things like this (and whatever their competitors are coming out with that are similar)?

By the way, this will be an AMD system (I like to help make sure Intel has some competition) and will run Linux. It will be a workstation class system.

1. Sampler

Re: What do I need to specify on my next motherboard?

A 2242 M.2 compatible port using PCI Express using NVMe.

More details: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.2

2. Shadow Systems

The most important thing you need to do will come after completing the final build & having a running computer. Specificly, making a second one & sending it to me! =-D

I'll get my coat, it's the one with the pockets full of high hopes.

1. phuzz Silver badge

We've been using them in £200 Intel NUC machines (eg), so they're very much not an expensive enterprise product.

That's why I'm glad they're introducing a 120GB model, because for a small desktop you only really need about 30GB of space (120GB models are still only £25).

1. Adam JC

Perfect for schools! Everything important is redirected, just need an OS on there, Office and a few basic programs. :-)

4. Baldrickk

Fast, but is it really worth it?

Looking at benchmarks, the current crop of NVME drives stand out - on the synthetic benchmarks at least.

On more representative tests, the performance as seen by the end user is nearly (not quite, but nearly) imperceptible to the end user from the performance of a Sata SSD. (this is when looking at applications, not the raw read/write).

1. Adam JC

The only real-life application we've seen improvements with NVMe drives vs 6G SATA SSD's is with graphical design machines, doing heavy Illustrator/Photoshop crunching where files can reach 60-80GB a pop!

5. I am not spartacus

"The RC100 is more than twice as fast on all these measures."

Random Read IOPS Random Write IOPS

Q300 Pro 92,000 63,000

RC100 160,000 120,000

Really?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like