back to article Google says Pixel 2's narcoleptic display is being fixed in June update

Some Pixel 2 owners are still waiting for a fix for dead screens six months after the issue was first reported. The display turns off during a phone call and – like Rip Van Winkle – can't be woken up. The bug began to manifest itself with the 8.1 Oreo update last last year – see here and here. Google support advised some …

1. Blockchain commentard

Seems to me to be a perfect example of why software houses shouldn't do hardware.

1. Tigra 07

RE: BC

As the unhappy owner of 3 Nexus 5s, 2 Nexus 9s, and 2 Nexus 6Ps i agree completely. Google doesn't have any quality control...Zero...None at all.

1. The Dogs Meevonks Silver badge

Re: RE: BC

"As the unhappy owner of 3 Nexus 5s, 2 Nexus 9s, and 2 Nexus 6Ps i agree completely. Google doesn't have any quality control...Zero...None at all."

The fact that you have purchased just 3 devices multiple times and all of them badly flawed... only highlights that you really, really, really... need to do some proper research before buying any kind of technology in the future. :)

1. Tigra 07

It's not too much to expect the company you buy from to improve over time. Eventually after the Nexus 6P fast and timely updates became less of a priority in place of decent build quality.

I didn't purchase multiples of any of those devices. Google swapped them under warranty as they had a common fault that they didn't dispute (or bother fixing). Rather than fix the faults or improve quality Google just replaces people's devices.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

As the unhappy owner of 3 Nexus 5s, 2 Nexus 9s, and 2 Nexus 6Ps...

I think I'd have stopped at the second.

2. deltamind

I only purchased the Nexus 5 which dissapointed me so much that I never switched back to a nexus or a google product. I would only be using google.com for the rest of my life but not any other product.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Says a lot about Apple that they've managed to be dominant in both for over a decade.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wouldn't trust everything you read on the internet, especially here. Many of the issues were isolated to a few early XL units.

My pixel 2 (non XL, as big phones are stupid) been faultless since the day it was purchased, and still blows phones £400 more out the water....

4. Gene Cash Silver badge

> Seems to me to be a perfect example of why software houses shouldn't do hardware.

I don't know... all of Microsoft's hardware seems to be top-notch stuff.

Hell, I'm using a Microsoft Bluetooth keyboard on my Nexus 6P right now, and it's probably the best BT keyboard I've ever used.

2. corestore

Greatly impressed with the Pixel 2, greatly unimpressed with Google support.

Mine, 2 months old. Just failed. Won't charge - and when I unplugged the charger cable after trying for 5 mins, the metal part was so hot it almost burned my hand. Phone very hot too, after just 5 mins attempted charge. Google happy to offer warranty replacement - but not until I'm back on US soil - 'tough, you'll have to do without a phone for a couple of months; we can't ship overseas'.

It's a fairly premium product; it deserves premium service. Does no-one in Google have the wit to stick a phone in a box and slap a shipping label on it?!

1. Semtex451
      Holmes

Remember you're not a customer, you're a data source. Google are unaccustomed to serving data sources.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That is utter horseshit....

You can use a pixel 2 without a Google account... And nothing goes back to Google.

Good luck signing into an iPhone without an appleID and avoiding the apple slurp... It's mandatory.....

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

That is utter horseshit * 2.

Google have been caught sending your location back to the mothership against your location preferentes.

You can use an iPhone without an Apple ID perfectly well, you just hit "set up later" on start-up.

And please define how Apple slurp is worse than Google slurp. I'd like a laugh.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Google have been caught sending your location back to the mothership against your location preferentes."

Citation needed...

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Apple slurp is worse than Google slurp, the slurp is the same, the collect and sell the same data, the only difference is apple charge apple users a premium price for the hardware as well......

Might want to familiarise yourself with the apple policy ( the full one that matters,. Not the numpty highlights paragraph)

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

@AC You're wrong. Stop making a tit of yourself.

2. Ilsa Loving

>You can use a pixel 2 without a Google account... And nothing goes back to Google.

>Good luck signing into an iPhone without an appleID and avoiding the apple slurp... It's mandatory.....

Obvious Troll is obvious. If your post was any less correct it wouldn't even be in a comprehensible language.

2. Sleep deprived
      Mushroom

"we can't ship overseas"

These megacorps that advertise globally and take your money everywhere on the planet but only provide service to US customers really piss me off. Why trade and service borders don't match is beyond me!

3. BigAndos

I like my Pixel XL but increasingly glad I've skipped a generation!

4. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

So... where are all the class action lawsuits?

If this was Apple, then there would be several well underway by now and it would almost be front page news all over the world.

Google seems to be getting off lightly.

Still, it is a heck of long time for a fix to come.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So... where are all the class action lawsuits?

Fewer customers and less news coverage means most people who have this problem probably feel like they're the only ones.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: So... where are all the class action lawsuits?

Because it's a storm in a teacup perhaps? A few vocal uses, field by clickbait hungry press and shill competitors worried about their inferior overpriced handsets might have some viable competition???

5. Giovani Tapini

must say, i havn't encountered any of these issues

maybe I got lucky.

But I still cant think of a better device.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Picture is neat

You Brits really know how to do Universities architecturally

1. Mike Moyle

Re: Picture is neat

Not a Brit, but I suspect that the answer is the same as the one the palace groundskeeper told the American tourist who asked how they kept the lawns so perfect: "Well, first off, you start 800 years ago..."

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Picture is neat

The picture is actually of my old office - it's Waterhouse Square (named after the architect Alfred Waterhouse, also of Natural History Museum fame) inside the Prudential building near Chancery Lane tube.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holborn_Bars

7. Tigra 07
    Linux

I'm so glad i chose not to get a Google phone when replacing my Nexus 6P.

Google creates really great phone designs. They just build them to an absolutely appalling quality.

After a Nexus 5, 6P, and a Nexus 9 i've switched to an LG V30+.

Google are shitlords

1. Ol' Grumpy
      Thumb Up

Upvote for the great use of linguistics . "shitlords" lol.

1. Tigra 07
        Mushroom

RE: Grumpy

I called them shitlords because their devices keep failing quality standards (worse each device generation than the last) and they insist on fixing them with software updates instead of recalls (which doesn't bloody work).

Nexus 5: Constant dropping of network until restarted (Had 3 Nexus 5s before i got one that wasn't defective)

Nexus 9: Random rebooting, screen tearing, massive lag, horrendous light bleed worse than anything i've ever seen, failing updates that brick the device (Had 2 Nexus 9s and the second had worse lag than the first and it now runs Lineage OS to fix the other issues)

Nexus 6P: Batteries that suck and shut off at 50% (Had 2 Nexus 6Ps and the second has the same battery issue)

These are just the issues i've experienced. Worst quality control i've ever seen from Google.

2. gbru2606

Didn't LG balls up the motherboard of the Nexus 5x, and some of their own devices? I think they're still replacing them all these years later. They replaced mine under warranty.

3. J27

My Pixel C died, about 10 minutes out of warranty because the display connector slipped out (it wasn't secured properly) and some idiot (me) broke the screen trying to remove it (which was nearly impossible due to all the tape and glue). I did try to get Google to repair it (before I tried and broke it) and they refused, even at my cost, saying they didn't have replacement parts. I'm not buying any more Google-branded hardware until they can prove they actually stand behind it. This was probably the worst experience I've ever had with an electronic device.

1. Tigra 07

RE: J27

When i got my second Nexus 9 the light bleed was so bad i called to complain and was told it was a refurb. They'd swapped my new problematic device with a (fucking) refurb without telling me. The person on the phone then proceeded to tell me how many returns they get for these.

After that I decided never again to buy Google branded hardware (but still had to send the Nexus 6P back once).

Boycott them until their quality control improves exists

8. xj650t
    Facepalm

Google the Software company that can't do Hardware

I have a PixelBook and whilst it's a marvellous gadget the reliability is frustrating.

Bluetooth, sometimes works after sleep, sometimes doesn't, reboot required if not working.

Random re-boots during sleep.

Random runaway processes using all CPU, top of keyboard gets very hot, usually followed by a random re-boot.

Notifications swipes, sometime you swipe to dismiss a notification and it goes away other times it opens the application.

I'd not be recommending it to anyone until they have something that's approaching non-beta product status.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And they say Apple's customer support is bad...

Perhaps succeeding at the premium end of the mobile market isn't quite as easy as some would make out?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aren't the Nexus/Pixel devices made by OEMs such as LG and Huawei?

If there're any hardware defects, the buck should stop with them.

1. Tigra 07

Re: Aren't the Nexus/Pixel devices made by OEMs such as LG and Huawei?

Complaints-wise - partially.

Refund/exchange-wise - no.

If it's bought through Google's store (As the Nexus and Pixel devices are) then Google bears all legal resposibility to refund or replace the customer's device.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like