back to article DeepMind Health told to explain business model, relationship to Google

Alphabet-owned AI company DeepMind Health needs to clarify its relationship with Google and explain how it plans to turn a profit, the firm's independent review panel has said. In a report (PDF) published today, the group told DeepMind Health – which has run into controversy for its work with the NHS, especially the Streams …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Slurp, crunch, slurp and cough out an answer

That invariably says...

"Computer Says No".

Current AI systems are really just glorified 'deciision support' systems. We have a long way to go before we get proper AI but far too many companies are inevitably blinded by the AI hype and using it for critical decision making systems. This won't end well.

2. ratfox

Wow

That's a pretty tall order, coming from an independent panel appointed by the company itself.

For the health data, it might be enough to just store it in AWS instead of Google? I doubt it's a significant amount of money, and at least, it would calm down the people who think Google will covertly use it for advertising.

I wonder if Oracle could appoint an independent panel that would ask them not to lock customers in!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow

For the health data, it might be enough to just store it in AWS instead of Google? I doubt it's a significant amount of money, and at least, it would calm down the people who think Google will covertly use it for advertising.

I suspect that any cloud services provider would not give a flying f*** what their customer did with the data, so you're right. The simpletons would be pleased, but business as usual at Google Towers.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'll tell you what I think they are doing and how they will make a prophet.

That data is currently having every algorithm under the sun thrown at it to see what conditions you can predict and reverse algorithm to work back from reported conditions to find indicators. They are probably also doing what they said they would be with the data.

Once complete (after they get lots more data to confirm and adjust these algorithms) they'll pass it over to America and make a killing in the healthcare/insurance sector or even the medical sector itself. I wouldn't be surprised if they set up a business offering those services themselves effectively owning the market. They might even be kind enough to let the NHS use it for a fee. What would people pay for their health to be analysed for any potential problems against such a data set?

Oh and lets not forget targeted advertising for medical products and treatments.

1. JohnFen
      Joke

"how they will make a prophet."

I believe they are a non-prophet organization.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Jesus, what a typo.

2. Robert D Bank

the health insurance industry would pay very well for this sort of information. Actuarial bias would be a lot easier

4. JohnFen

Hidden agendas

"We don't think AI firm has a hidden agenda, but…"

The AI firm may or may not have a hidden agenda, but Google sure as hell does.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'We don't think AI firm has a hidden agenda'

But we didn't really look either! Plus, Deepmind didn't ever expect to get caught in the first place. Just like Facebook trying to slurp hospital patient data. So how long until the WhatsApp-data-to-be-merged-with-Facebook 'Deepmind' announcement?

5. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Unhappy

Well those seem like fine sentiments but....

Will it be a case of "We hear what you're saying and we implement this ASAP"

And by "As soon as possible" they mean "never."

Why don't people trust Google and FB backed AI work using patient data?

Because they've demonstrated they can't be trusted of course.

It's not an irrational prejudice against AI research. It's a very rational prejudice based on the SOP of the companies involved.

6. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

I wonder..

Are there any other countries where DeepMind Health is landing on the front lawn?

7. Buttons
    Devil

Might be lawful but . .

I have learned to be very concerned when I'm told something is treated or done lawfully. It invariably means that they have a loophole and that they think they have permission to do what they like, without the inconvenience of morality or whether its appropriate. The law is a double edged sword.

8. scrubber
    Black Helicopters

De-personalised

They have access to health records and search records*, how hard is it going to be to link the two and have a reasonable success rate at joining health records and people, their entire business is based on linking things.

* And email, and blogging, and video searches etc. etc.

9. Peter D

Targeted advertising

Who knows where this will end up? All I know is that ever since my eye surgery at the Royal Free I see Booking.com pop-ups every time I glance at a hotel. In itself that isn't so bad but poking my eye to dismiss the ad has given me pink eye.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like