back to article Australia, Solomon Islands to ink Huawei-free cable contract today

Australia and the Solomon Islands will today ink a contract blocking Huawei from building the island nation's new submarine cable. The 4,000 km cable will connect the Solomon Islands to Papua New Guinea and then to Australia. Huawei won a contract to build the cable in 2016, which so irritated Australia that its Department of …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"cheaper, faster, more reliable than the competitor,” Bishop told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's AM program today." eh

Sounds like some BS that would come from Malcolm Turnbull.

I've never seen Australia build ANYTHING cheaper or faster than China, and if Turnbull gets his hands on it, it'll be a 3rd world solution like his version of the NBN that Australia got stitched up with.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Order successful

One order for 4000km of second hand, poorly maintained twisted pair copper cable placed.

2. Griffo

This government and Internet Services Provision?

If the NBN is anything to go by, the poor Solomons are Fv(ked for the next 20 years.

The current governments "Faster Cheaper more reliable" NBN re-design has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster that's going to take another $50B and 10 years to re-build once completed.

3. kartstar

Cheaper for whom

Wish the Australian Government would pay me $100 million to not buy a Huawei phone; That would be cheaper for me too.

4. OffBeatMammal

it's only cheaper because we're paying for it!

so a $100m subsidy, no doubt taxpayer funded, somehow makes this a great deal?

5. mhenriday
    FAIL

Spook-driven paranoia ?

Got it on the first try, Mr Chirgwin - kudos !...

Henri

6. JJKing
    Pirate

The third funder for the cable.

This is the cable that was first going to be funded by an Asian Development Bank (or similar name) and then was abruptly changed to the Huawei after an election that changed the Govt that obtained the ADB loan. I wonder if the backhanders have to be returned to Huawei or will they just get to swap out the hardware once the cable it up and running?

I have nothing against the Chinese people (or their food) but I sure as shit do not like their form of government.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The third funder for the cable.

but I sure as shit do not like their form of government

Why, because you still think they're communist or because you've realized they're actually a corporatocracy, just like Russia?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I thought Huawei was banned from NBN too.

Except that it seems every CPE router than NBN provides is a Huawei something. An NBN specific one at that, so if it dies, the customer has to go crawling back to their ISP or NBN to get a replacement, because they cannot buy one retail.

If the ban truely was about security, surely a smaller box per person to be spied on would be preferable to trying to do it by the thousands on the larger core boxes.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like