back to article Budget Surface 'spotted' in Microsoft's crystal ball

Further evidence that Microsoft wants to broaden the appeal of its boutique Surface hardware has emerged. Almost a month ago, Bloomberg’s Mark Gurman predicted budget Surface hardware was being planned, priced at "about $400... 20 per cent lighter than the high-end models, but [with] around four hours fewer of battery life". …

1. DJV Silver badge
    Facepalm

"four hours fewer of battery life"?

Is it their intention to develop an even thinner device with no battery (life) whatsoever? Sounds like the way to go - at least, if you can't actually turn it on, it won't be able to BSOD (it will just be 'D').

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "four hours fewer of battery life"?

If the thin Surface can run for an entire week on a couple of CR2032 coin lithium batteries, I'm sold!

2. Fungus Bob

Re: "four hours fewer of battery life"?

"Is it their intention to develop an even thinner device with no battery (life) whatsoever?"

I hear they're exploring the possibility of using flattened sheets of pulp made from trees.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RT reborn?

Why would anyone want to purchase a Windows laptop which only allows you to install apps and programs from the Microsoft Store?

1. James 51

Re: RT reborn?

Windows S is a mode now, not a flavour so you can choose to install whatever you want. With the new ipad and a stylus costing about £400 microsoft need to do something if they don't want to be lose to Apple by default in this market segment.

1. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

I hadn't realised that the stylus now works on the basic iPad. However it's nothing like what Microsoft offer, as you can't actually write with it. Or maybe Apple will deign to allow you to use the notes app, I'm not quite sure, but you can't use it to write an email or fill in a form online. Presumably because Steve Jobs once said that stylii were rubbish, and so Apple can't bring themselves to sell one, so they call it a pencil and only really let you draw with it. Very odd that - as my old HP convertible tablet in 2007 did really good handwriting recognition.

1. teknopaul

After years of reading paper magazines with that anoying curvy dip in the middle of the two pages... Apple produce an electronic magazine that has a flat screen.

Microsoft years later patent the electronic magazine reunited with annoying unreadable bit in the middle.

Seems likely they will be ahead in this segment until Apple's notch reaches the bottom of the screen.

2. Fungus Bob

"Windows S is a mode now"

Next you'll be telling us that New Jersey is a State of Mind...

2. RyokuMas
      Paris Hilton

For the same reasons someone might want to install a browser that only allows extensions to be installed from its own store?

1. DrBed

> For the same reasons someone might want to install a browser that only allows extensions to be installed from its own store?

Actually, you don't have to worry about. At Win10S you can't install any browser beside Edge. No, even MS IE is not allowed!

Speaking of that other "browser OS", beside native & PWA apps, it runs Android & Linux apps also.

Surprise surprise, it also runs RT apps via Wine 3!

https://mspoweruser.com/wine-3-0-lets-chromebook-users-run-windows-apps/

So, actually, RT is reborn - but at Mountain View, not Redmond. ;-)

3. Milton

And another difference ...

... rumours suggest that the new, cheaper Surface will actually work for several days before having to be returned, and that the replacement will endure for as long as a month before also being sent back.

In the long run, though, the new model will reach the standards Microsoft set with the original Surface: no sane person will ever buy a second one, and even long-term Apple-sceptics will say, "Ok, that's it; the hardware's shit; the software's shit; Microsoft is shit" —and ruefully take their flexible friend to the iStore.

4. arctic_haze

Surface Phone second coming

Isn't it like the sects which announce a new date of the Doom every second week?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surface Phone second coming

>> Isn't it like the sects which announce a new date of the Doom every second week?

Yes, except that those people in sects tend to enjoy diverse and unconventional sex lives.

A Microsoft Surface never got anyone laid.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Surface Phone second coming

Surface Phone.

It's like the Second Coming of Jesus for the Windows phone zealots (not too many of them these days),

"Any time now! It will change everything, wipe away all injustice, defeat and shame! Believe!"

5. Jason Hindle

I've read a couple of reviews of Windows on ARM

They're quite mixed. I'd probably avoid the first iteration (but when was that not true?) and perhaps wait for more of the software (especially Office, it seems) to be natively compiled to the new processor. It's a compelling idea, but the devil is in the implementation.

6. Alan Brown Silver badge

Naming

Who remembers the aptly-named WinCE ?

I suspect WinS should be pronounced the same way.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Naming

Windows Kernel S-mode.

WinKS.

The revamped BSOD features this smiley:

;-(

7. jonathan keith

Fuck's sake, Microsoft

Just build the bloody Courier and have done with it.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like