back to article Google plots death of inline installation for Chrome extensions

Google on Tuesday said it plans to discontinue inline installation of Chrome browser extensions, by which code on third-party websites can trigger the installation of extensions from the Chrome Web Store. The decision, which will be implemented in stages, follows a series of complaints in recent years about malicious …

1. Ian Michael Gumby
    Black Helicopters

Big Brother much?

By routing everything thru the store, Google has the ability to spy on you and know which add ons you use.

Sorry, but I only use Chrome as a last resort.

1. Steve Aubrey

Re: Big Brother much?

I would guess that Google could already determine which extensions are running.

I think all the commendards (and most of the readers of El Reg) understand that about Google. They can make their own choices about becoming the product (if it's free, *you* are the product).

This change doesn't alter that.

1. doublelayer Silver badge

They could already do that. They haven't removed the sideloading thing, but instead they have patched a hole that allowed people to sneak code into users' browsers with a low-profile thing that was easier for users to just click through. I don't use chrome because of the privacy problems it entails, but google has improved it with this change. I see little to complain about in this situation.

2. Cuddles

"By routing everything thru the store"

If you read the article, you'll note that this is regarding thing that are already routed through the store. The only difference is that now anything routed through the store will have to do so by visibly sending the user to an actual store page where they can click an install button, rather than being able to trick people into installing something via a link without realising what's happening. The ability to install things without using the store is not affected although, as others have noted, that's not going to stop Google knowing what you have installed in Chrome anyway.

3. jelabarre59

Sorry, but I only use Chrome as a last resort.

I only use GoogleChrome when my system is running too fast, and I want to bring it to a grinding complete stop. But if want to still be able to use my computer afterwards? No.

2. AMBxx Silver badge
    Holmes

Takes a thief

In the past, how often was the Google search bar installed when you forgot to uncheck a box in an installer? Same for installing Chrome.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why did Google think this was a good idea?

I know it "sounds" secure to vet everything you install via a store, but the Google Play store has proved smuggling stuff past the security guards is easy...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like