back to article British egg producers saddened by Google salad emoji update

British egg producers have expressed disappointment at the removal of the oval-shaped favourite from Google's salad emoji. The UX manager for Google emoji Jennifer Daniel confirmed the change in a Tweet. The now egg-free salad is more vegan-friendly, and therefore more inclusive, Daniel explained. There's big talk about …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

More inclusive?

Given the ever growing permutations on human emojis in terms of skin shade, hair color, hair type, freckles and what not, I'm surprised they didn't just add another salad to appease the vegans. Removing something doesn't make it more inclusive, it is less include for those who like eggs in their salad.

Personally I would find either inedible, as there's no dressing!

1. ratfox
      Angel

Re: More inclusive?

They should give people the possibility to add eggs to the salad using a zero-width joiner!

1. ibmalone

This would also introduce the possibility of caesar salads, and warm pancetta or salmon salads. I'm not a vegan, but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad, or sandwiches for that matter.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad

I refer the honourable commentard to Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs..

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"[...] Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs.."

Not forgetting the fish.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

>Not forgetting the fish.

Or the beef!

Says he remembering the CJD/Mad cow epidemic in the UK many years back, when beef extracts were discovered in many things including 'vegetarian' foods...

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: zero-width joiner...

You mean the layer of margarine from a Greater London sandwich bar?

2. ibmalone

but I don't believe eggs have any place in salad

I refer the honourable commentard to Salade Nicoise.. Which has, as one of the requred ingredients, hard-boiled eggs..

Well, to each their own I suppose. (Wanders off to find the vomit emoji...)

2. ibmalone

Today I learned the people who like eggs in salad are a vindictive lot!

Eggstremists you might say.

2. Aitor 1

It is the same sad thing as deciding that all races, creeds, etc have to be represented in a movie.

Well, if the movie is supposed to happen in China, most people in the movie, unless there is a very good explanation, should be chinese. Same for the us.. most people should be american.

If a minority is 10% of the population, parity in numbers is discrimination. Or you can come up with a good movie and try to be inclusive and thats it, do not force/reqrite characters, etc.

Going back to the egg.. it is NOT more inclusive. Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad.. and they are a majority. So it is not more inclusive..

My guess is that they are so focused on discriminating people while claiming to be doing it for equality that they lost it.

Note: I feel that I have to qualify my post, as otherwise ppl will make assumptions. I am not a racist (not but..), and dont think discrimination is a good thing. First of all, because I have suffered it first hand in the UK, and second hand though my wife, as she is both american and jew (and boy they hate both in Spain).

I believe in equality, and discriminating majorities is not going to get equality. Of course, people with disabilities have to be helped, that is another matter.

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

... I am not a racist...

Saying that is probably racist these days.

2. ratfox
        WTF?

Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

Seriously?

1. MiguelC Silver badge

Re: Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

I'm not vegan and I don't feel represented by that salad. Or any other salad, by the way.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad

Seriously?"

Uh, YES. Once again a crackpot minority have imposed their values on everyone else. We are forced to bend over backward to accommodate the thin-skinned 5% while ignoring the rights and opinions of the other 95%. When you limit things for everyone to accommodate one group, you have excluded the rights and values of everyone else.

It's also part of a sneaky campaign to make meat and the humans who eat it Evil. Well, FU Google and friends, I'm having fish for dinner and refuse to feel guilty about it.

3. Fungus Bob

"Of course, people with disabilities have to be helped, that is another matter."

And this is what Google is doing. Vegans are unable to see why nobody wants to be part of their sad, malnourished minority.

4. Monty Cantsin

"Non vegans will NOT be represented by that salad.. and they are a majority. "

Reminds me of the time my wife brought a home cooked meal to her father's house. He opened the dish and said "what is is?". "Vegetarian lasagne", she replies. He pushed it away saying "But sure I'm not a vegetarian."

There's nothing about not having an egg in a salad that excludes non-vegans. Non vegans don't (and don't have to) have an animal product in each and every meal in order to maintain their non-vegan status.

However, are they not concerned that breatharianism are being excluded by the lack of an emoji for no food?

3. Captain Hogwash

No. More eggsclusive!

4. Velv
      Devil

Dressing?

Some mayonnaise perhaps?

1. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Heinz Salad cream, Shirley?

1. skalamanga

*sandwich cream

1. Anonymous Cow Herder

Re: Sandwich cream

Eyes on the news there, Skalamanga. Have an up-vote

5. Spudley

More inclusive eh? What about those who are allergic to tomatoes?

But seriously, this whole emoji thing is getting stupid. The more of them there are, the less value they have.

6. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

More inclusive? What about us diabetics???

Eggs are one of the few things i am still allowed to enjoy these days.

7. Roland6 Silver badge

Well given my children are going through a phase where tomatos and "green stuff" is 'yuk', but will eat eggs, I don't see how this is more inclusive...

8. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Who is behind all this?

I cannot hear the word "inclusion" anymore. Extreme-alt-left(?)-elite with their stupid world order movement?

Facebook, Reddit, Twitter, Arstechnica, Google, Microsoft are all part of this crap.

Can people get normal again? Something is getting very wrong since 2015...

Who is behind all this? Who are the elite persons we say "thank you"? Is it a religious movement? A political movement?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Who is behind all this?

Noisy, strident groups of intolerant people. They believe the rest of the world should be forced to share their misunderstandings of the universe and the illogical behaviors those misinformed worldviews promote. They know inside that the rest of the world disagrees and won't play along. So they scheme for POWER to force their bullshit on the rest of us. "Tolerance" and "diversity" are used to force acceptance of fringe groups and ideas, but do not extend to the rights and opinions of the rest of us.

Sadly, these nutjobs eventually take over most organizations and turn them to their twisted ideology. Scary how much of our world is controlled by ideological career "activists".

9. TheVogon

Cracking story. I'm sure we all know eggactly where they are coming from.

10. Montreal Sean

This would exclude my late father in law...

For him a salad had real mayonnaise, ham, potatoes, more ham, and thick cut bacon.

He didn't believe vegetables had any place in a salad.

11. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Again.

Pander to the minorities and completely disregard the wishes of the OVERWHELMING egg eating populace.

12. TheVogon

I make sure that there is always a vegan and vegetarian option at my dinners parties:

It's f o home.

2. TheProf
  3. Locky

Pointless emojis

I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Pointless emojis

Ron Swanson: “There’s been a mistake. You’ve accidentally given me the food that my food eats.”

Server: “Salad is traditionally the first course at a wedding.”

Ron Swanson: “Is a gerbil marrying a rabbit?”

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

Eggsactly!

3. Rameses Niblick the Third Kerplunk Kerplunk Whoops Where's My Thribble?

You don't win friends with salad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6Kj17oVHAk

4. Allan George Dyer
      Boffin

@Locky - "I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad...."

Top? Tell that to the mosquitoes.

1. Chris King
        Mushroom

"Top? Tell that to the mosquitoes."

Or the cockroaches.

5. Jamie Jones Silver badge

I did not fight my way to the top of the food chain to eat salad....

You're a killer-whale?

6. Franco

I think it was Jeff in Rules of Engagement who said "That's not food. That's what food eats."

On a more on-topic note, enough with the emojis. We don't need one for every single thing. I almost feel nostalgic for the days we had to type them ourselves. ;-)

1. SkippyBing

'We don't need one for every single thing. I almost feel nostalgic for the days we had to type them ourselves.'

These days I just find it easier to type 'raised eyebrow face' or 'egg salad emoji' rather than spend 10 minutes scrolling through all the options. It's like they're trying to reinvent the impracticality of hieroglyphics or Chinese.

1. Eddy Ito

Emojis are worse than Chinese. At least Chinese simplifies things a bit since there are no conjugations of verbs or the silliness of attributing gender to inanimate objects. Emojis don't simplify anything and go out of the way to be obscure.

Emoji salad, how fitting.

7. Mark 85

I've always thought emojis were completely pointless. Something cute and that's about it. Now they're becoming a major problem for everyone? A tad overblown for those with an extreme sense of self-importance. And yes, this "announcement" is a bit overblown by someone obviously thinking "job security because "I'm important". Woop-de-doo.. much ado about next to nothing.

8. Tom 7

Incomprehensible emojis are only required when the other content is incomprehensible. They merely advertise inadequate content.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Salad...

Angry fruit salad. Which appears to be the order of the day for the modern UI like TIFKAM.

4. Chris Jasper

Somebody think of the poor eggs

Eggsasperating...........

5. Dr_N
    Stop

Cracking Up.

This is eggasperating.

1. Chris G

Re: Cracking Up.

Eggsactly, it's an eggsasperating attack on freedom of eggspression.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: They've been...

eggsterminated.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

inclusion and diversity

by removing an egg?

An egg?

The worlds gone mad!

Won't somebody think of the chickens, they've crossed many roads for us.

1. monty75

Re: inclusion and diversity

I know, it's more like eggs-clusion.

2. Jamie Jones Silver badge
      WTF?

an egg from a frigging smiley at that!

3. Crisp

We shell not crack!

4. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Won't somebody think of the chickens, they've crossed many roads for us.

Just don't ask them to explain why. No, really, just don't.

5. Bill Gray

"...Won't somebody think of the chickens, they've crossed many roads for us."

I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

7. dbgi

what about the rest of us.

As a non-vegan-egg-eating person, I find the removal deeply offensive.

1. dave 81

Re: what about the rest of us.

Me too. Why are we being discriminated against by google? We should totally sue. /s

8. Joe Werner Silver badge
    Pint

No good story....

... ever started with people just having salad!

9. Tweetiepooh

What that salad is missing

is some nice pieces of rare steak!

1. Mark 85

Re: What that salad is missing

Steak? I was thinking bacon but steak will work.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Much as we celebrate diversity and inclusiveness

If the whole world reduces to the lowest acceptable common denominator between all cultures and beliefs in the name of "inclusiveness" the world will become a very boring, bland, and probably quite scary place. Being inclusive is about celebrating, or at least tolerating differences. How long will it be before going out for a curry gets you trolled for "cultural appropriation".

I agree with the above post, just make a separate emoji.

As a German contractor I used to work with said, quite succinctly "I cant eat your salads in the UK, they are just chopped vegetables, that it not a salad."

I no longer understand the world, I just live in it...

11. Proud Father
    WTF?

First world problems

It's just a fucking graphic, get over it!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

but who, exactly?

If you mean vegans and Chocolate Factoricans need to get over it, then right on.

If you mean everyone who is upset about the decision to change a graphic, it is not "just a fucking graphic." It is an outward sign, a visible symptom of something disgusting: the mental condition leading to the decision.

12. Eugene Crosser
    Joke

Utopia?

As our online (and offline) world becomes more complex and grim, emoji designers are creating the kind of beautiful utopia we can only dream about.

Is the world where salad does not include eggs, and officers of law are armed with water pistols a utopia?

1. John G Imrie

Re: Utopia?

Is the world where salad does not include eggs, and officers of law are armed with water pistols a utopia?

Well if we can arm every one with just water pistols it might.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

What about arming people with eggs? Much better in my opinion because everyone would be nice to each other as they would be egging each other on all the time.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

SEE ALSO: Demolition Man (1993)

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Is the world where salad does not include eggs, and officers of law are armed with water pistols a utopia? "

It is if you are black and live in the US of A ...... (not so sure where the salad/eggs come into it ???!!!)

<roll eyes>

:)

13. Vanir
    Go

Exclusive!

man does not live by salad alone

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Exclusive!

He must have crumpet.

14. King Jack
    Mushroom

I don't get it

How can any sane person become upset because and image shows an egg in a salad? You may not like eggs and not eat them but how is an egg salad offensive. I don't like the colour blue. Should I rage at the sky and demand that all pictures in the world change the colour to suit me?

When is this madness of pandering to every one going to stop. In the real world there is always going to be things you like and others don't. God I hate this generation. People should not just grow up but grow a spine too.

1. Giovani Tapini

Re: I don't get it

I want to see you rage at the sky for being blue.

Just for curiosity's sake of course :)

I assume you don't come from the UK as this would hardly ever be an issue! I have to stick to raging at the machine...

1. PM from Hell
        Thumb Up

The sky is a lovely shade of light grey here today, there's no sign of the big yellow shiny thing at all

2. King Jack
        Childcatcher

Just to be clear I don't have a favourite colour. I was just trying to make a point. That the individual should change, not the world. If Vegans get to dictate stuff for everyone, then any foolishness should be allowed. Even changing every picture to please one person because in the 21st century no minority no matter how small is allowed to be upset.

2. John G Imrie
      Unhappy

When is this madness of pandering to every one going to stop?

When we shoot the last Pander?

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

When we shoot the last Pander?

Andy Pandy was last seen heading into hiding at high speed. Just in case..

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Andy Pandy was last seen heading into hiding at high speed. Just in case.."

Andy Pandy was last seen heading into hiding at high speed. Just in a basket - with his ménage à trois.

FTFY

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>How can any sane person become upset because and image shows an egg in a salad?

Veganism is a new religion. Just look how Morrissey acts and you'll get it. "Superior Beings" apparently.

1. fords42

Most vegetarians and vegans think Morrissey is a Grade A nobber and don't want to be associated with him.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

>Veganism is a new religion. Just look how Morrissey acts and you'll get it

I think most vegans would be highly offended at being compared to Morissey.

4. Tigra 07
      Mushroom

Cue the Twitter mob...

Boo! Down with this sort of thing! I feel oppressed by that image of an egg! Nazi Fascist scum, etc...

5. Curly4

No don't rage at the sky for being blue but if the boiled egg was blue then maybe some rage is called for.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vital office equipment.

Going off-topic here, but as most people will be aware, toasters are generally not allowed in most workplaces given how often people set off the fire alarms with them.

The only place I've seen a toaster in the office kitchen recently is, ironically, a fire service, despite the fact that upstairs in the actual offices you get shouted at if you don't not only turn off your PC on a Friday night, but also unplug it from the wall as it's a "fire hazard"

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Vital office equipment.

>very workplace needs one of these:-

Why not boil the eggs in the office kettle like normal people?

16. Frenchie Lad

Towards Fully Inclusive

There should more salad emojis, I want my egg back & as compensation a Cesar Salad emoji as well.

1. Mark 85

Re: Towards Fully Inclusive

But one required ingredient is anchovies which are fish.. won't someone think of the fish!!!!

17. Tigra 07
    Pint

"A bowl of healthy salad, containing lettuce, tomato, and other salad items such as cucumber"

Where's the cucumber in that photo? Can't have a salad without cucumber and SaladSandwich Cream!

18. rmason

no issues here.

We still have the (delicious looking) cow emoji, so I feel pretty well catered for.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: no issues here.

"We still have the (delicious looking) cow emoji, [...]"

You are only allowed to worship it - not eat it.

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: no issues here.

That reminds me of the director's comment of the end credit over some movie - sorry I forget which now, may have been one of the Alien films.

No animals were harmed in the making of this movie (but hundreds were eaten).

19. Cuddles

Not good enough

The new emoji is still highly offensive to fruitarians. And no, simply replacing it with fruit won't work, that will still offend the breatharians. I will not be satisfied until it shows nothing but an empty bowl.

1. Rob Fisher

Re: Not good enough

That bowl had better not be made of wood. Or plastic. Or rock.

20. Rob Fisher

Emoji not scalable

Emoji is just not scalable. It's take until now to get a hippo emoji and there are still thousands of missing animals. Every new emoji takes hundreds of person-hours of proposal writing, committee meetings, graphic design and software updates. I wanted a sprout emoji the other day, when might that appear? And I haven't even got started on minerals...

It would make a lot more sense to abandon pre-set unicode-indexed graphics and agree on a way to embed small SVG pictures into text, or some other text representation of graphics so that the sender could send any emoji without the receiver having to prepare for it in advance.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

A modest proposal

We should instead prefer a restricted set of abstract symbols appropriate to representing the sounds of spoken languages. With a little effort a measure of commonality may be achieved, especially for languages of similar sound and origin. Perhaps as few as twenty-six such symbols might suffice to represent the richness of English, while still allowing for some whimsical and unpredictable combinations. Some might protest that such an approach borders upon sorcery, in honour of which perhaps we might call this form of written communication "spell-ing" ?

2. ibmalone

Re: Emoji not scalable

We are in fact inefficiently reinventing Chinese writing. In the absence of a universal translator it's sort of useful to have quick access to little graphics of things like airplanes and toilets if you're abroad (though I've always found a phrasebook useful and camera translator apps are pretty good now), but the design by committee approach to what is now over 1.5k symbols (unicorn face? water buffalo?) not including modifiers that are now forming a very fragmented non-vocal language seems to be a waste of human effort.

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

Re: Emoji not scalable

Won't somebody think of the standards committee?

We can't call Unicode "done" by merely ensuring it contains every glyph in every written language currently known to humankind.

That'd have an endpoint!

21. Noonoot

Oh let's stop the PC nonsense shall we?

Seriously? If I want egg in my salad, I shall have egg in my salad. Is it so hard to cater for both FFS?

But what do we eggspect nowadays? It's eggsasperating to the say the least that one's eggspression becomes eggspendable

22. Marco van de Voort

Remove the tomato out of consideration for the Nightshade intolerant

Maybe remove tomatoes too, out of consideration for the people with nightshade allergies?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Remove the tomato out of consideration for the Nightshade intolerant

"Maybe remove tomatoes too, out of consideration for the people with nightshade allergies?

Are they allergic to potatoes too?

23. Dr_N
    Thumb Down

No Olives or Anchovies

That's not Nice.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Diversity deficiency

Hmmm. That's a very white-looking bowl.... just saying, that's all.

25. fords42

Here we go again...

...with the vegan bashing. Perish the thought some people actually care enough about animal welfare to take action and actively choose not to participate in what is a horribly cruel industry.

Anyway, vegan or not eggs have no place in a salad.

1. Velv
      Flame

Re: Here we go again...

eggs have no place in a salad.

Next you’ll be claiming that pineapple has no place on a pizza...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

> to take action and actively choose not to participate in what is a horribly cruel industry

Is not having a Facebook or Twitter account part of veganism too, now?

3. cbars Bronze badge

sorry, where is the vegan bashing? On first inspection this forum appears to be ridiculing the idea that a standard with the finite number of representations, should be representative of any subset of ~7billion humans. Not to mention that these humans are free to change their mind, hold multiple belief systems simultaneously, and generally be a bit chaotic.

Identity politics is not going to solve the worlds problems, neither is the victim complex you're displaying. In my opinion.

26. mscha

Google needs to put bacon bits on the salad emoji.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

A vegetarian friend occasionally lapsed over a bacon sandwich. She was happy to eat fried clams in a Macau monastery restaurant. Buddhists draw the line of sentience above such delicacies - especially fried oysters.

27. Dodgy Geezer Silver badge

Essential quote here:

...Then there was the opposite school. There was Mr. Edward Carpenter, who thought we should in a very short time return to Nature, and live simply and slowly as the animals do. And Edward Carpenter was followed by James Pickie, D.D. (of Pocohontas College), who said that men were immensely improved by grazing, or taking their food slowly and continuously, after the manner of cows. And he said that he had, with the most encouraging results, turned city men out on all fours in a field covered with veal cutlets. Then Tolstoy and the Humanitarians said that the world was growing more merciful, and therefore no one would ever desire to kill. And Mr. Mick not only became a vegetarian, but at length declared vegetarianism doomed ("shedding," as he called it finely, "the green blood of the silent animals"), and predicted that men in a better age would live on[Pg 17] nothing but salt. And then came the pamphlet from Oregon (where the thing was tried), the pamphlet called "Why should Salt suffer?" and there was more trouble....

G K Chesterton: The Napoleon of Notting Hill (1904)

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I literally cannot think of a more useless job than “UX manager for emojis”. How does this person even get up in the mornings?

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bigger Question

They've updated the "family" emoji to have mum,dad,kid, mum,mum,kid and dad,dad,kid. But the kid is always a boy. Female infanticide in their "inclusive" world?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bigger Question

"But the kid is always a boy"

You are making that judgement that on social gender appearances . Unless they are naked - and it could still be a wrong call based on appearance. :-P

30. Dwarf

A limp excuse of a salad

I've never seen a salad with just green leaves (*) and a tomato. Where are the spring onions, radishes, cucumber, mushroom, beansprouts and the dressing.

* What type of lettuce, any spinach, watercress.to liven it up a bit ?

This doesn't look like any salad I've seen !!

Should it also be smaller, since most are side salads for something more interesting such as a large juicy steak ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A limp excuse of a salad

"I've never seen a salad with just green leaves (*) and a tomato."

UK 1950s seaside boarding house high tea?

1. MonkeyCee

"UK 1950s seaside boarding house high tea?"

1980s UK restaurant. The "three course menu" had a starter choosing from orange juice, apple juice and pineapple juice. Inevitably out of pineapple juice too...

Side salad consisted of wilted lettuce. No fancy colours, other than the natural green to yellow range. No dressing. For once no grief for not eating all my greens, since I polished off my shoe leather minute steak with it's own weight of tomato sauce.

People can bitch about harvester and 'spoons, but what they serve is positively amazing compared to some of the delights on family holidays in my yoof.

My foreign wife has a very high opinion of harvester, on account of having her first eton mess there. Any attempt to convince her that the burgers are worse than McDOnalds falls on deaf ears.

Even their salad bar is nicer looking than that sad emoji salad :)

2. Tom 7

I frequently have salad consisting of just my home grown variety of iceberg lettuce (I forget the brand name but it has flavour!!!) and if there are toms from the poly tunnel they get added as a bonus. People fail to realise that a salad is merely a device for eating salad dressing and the greenery is there for the crunch and to provide a greater surface area for the sea salt to stick to.

31. MAF

Whoever hatched that idea failed to ovoid getting egg on their face...?

32. SW

Vegetable Salad - that's no vegetable

So why's there a fruit in there...???

33. tiggity Silver badge

Platonic form

Surely the platonic form of the salad is just vegetables / fruits (e.g. tomato is a fruit)

You can have "extras" such as egg, tuna whatever but most (UK) person would regard just the "veg" stuff as salad - and stuff like dressing should be regarded as optional too.

1. MonkeyCee

Re: Platonic form

"Surely the platonic form of the salad is just vegetables / fruits"

I tend to be of the opinion that if it can be made in the cold section, it's a salad.

Since there isn't a formal definition of vegetable (we all kinda know what it means) it's quite normal for something to be both a fruit and a vegetable, assuming the fruit of the plant is what we eat.

You'll see it in some laws, where there is different tariffs for fruit and vegetables for example, that certain foods will be classified as one of the other, without regard for what they are scientifically, but to what they are in terms of savory versus sweet.

Other candidates for fruits in salad are cucumbers, peppers, snow peas* and avocado. As long as it pops, whatever that means... :)

* whole pea pods are fruit, individual peas aren't, as far as I recall

34. mark l 2 Silver badge

Perhaps this idea was thought up by the brain boxes at Heinz that think that Salad Cream needs to be renamed 'Sandwich cream' because people use it on sandwiches more than they do on salads.

Well if the young generation have to have instructions on how to use it in the name of the product they are going to struggle to know what to do with Brown Sauce and perhaps put it down the toilet?

1. Dwarf

Sandwich Cream

So why aren't they renaming it to "Fish Finger Sandwich, Jacket Potato, Chips, Salad and Sandwich Cream" - If we really need instructions on what to apply it to.

The nanny state strikes again !

35. Tanglewood73

Right, that’s it – I’m stopping using all emoji’s over this!

Oh, wait, I’ve never used them due to not being born in Egypt 5,000 years ago and sufficiently old enough to use words.

36. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Is it just me..

.. that doesn't measure an OS's capibility, security, utility and usability in terms of it having added some extra emojis?

I'd rather they concentrated on trivia like security. Or stability. Or useful[1] functionality..

[1] No, I don't mean in terms of being able to have dynamic, battery-sapping animatronics and AR. You know, trivia like being able to control who/what has access to your data..

37. Robert Helpmann??
    Childcatcher

What did you expect...

...when Google couldn't get a cheeseburger right?

1. Tom 7

Re: What did you expect...

It doesnt really matter how you stack a cheeseburger. The only important element it the tomato must be sliced at an angle that mean it will be launched across the room at first bite.

38. earl grey
    Trollface

i'm going to hell for this

All i can hear is Ozzy singing "eggs for dinner".

39. Curly4

What! Did the egg producers fail to payoff Google Well that will learn you.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Confused

What is this sa-lad that you talk about?

1. KBeee

Re: Confused

It's the bit left on the side of your plate after eating steak and chips

41. Nick Gisburne

Pork pie!

The egg people say "Eggs are the perfect salad accompaniment", which by definition means they are not a part of the salad, just something to go with one. Me, I think a pork pie is the perfect salad accompaniment, but I will understand if the salad emoji doesn't show it. Wait, what? There is no separate pork pie emoji? You'll be telling me there are no Cornish pastie or black pudding emojis next. As for the pork pie with an egg in, that is simply an abomination - does it even have a name, let alone an emoji? Pig-egg pie?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pork pie!

"As for the pork pie with an egg in, that is simply an abomination - does it even have a name, [...]"

It is a "Gala Pie". Lots of different recipes on Google - but the egg is in all of them.

42. gimpySue

Hm.

It seems that is not inclusive enough. There are those, as has been pointed out, that cannot eat tomatoes. Then there are those that are left out because they cannot have green leafies (ie those on blood thinners, yes they can technically eat green leafies, but it must be consistent and is a medical angle not a dietary choice like with vegans)

So if we remove the green leafies and the tomatoes are we being all-inclusive? Not yet, we have those that are being left out because they do not have a bowl (such as third world types) and cannot identify with it readily. So if we remove the bowl....

I think we have an emoji that everyone can get behind. It's a blank square, but everyone is free to imagine it however they want. True all-inclusiveness. XD

Now, if that logic is applied to all emoji, the problem of not being diverse enough goes away. Win-win right Google?

43. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I heard of a thing

called "virtue signalling"

and just now I've seen it

and smelled something like shSSHHHHKKK POWDERMILK BISCUITS

Heavens, they're tasty and expeditious!

They're made from whole wheat, to give shy persons the strength to get up and do what needs to be done.

POWDERMILK BISCUITS

Buy them ready-made in the big blue box with the picture of the biscuit on the front, or in the brown bag with the dark stains that indicate freshness.

44. VeganVegan
    Alien

I apologize for coming late to this discussion

Given my handle, I felt that I had to make a comment.

First,: De gustibus non est disputandum.

Second: I consume about 5 lbs (2.25kg) of meat a week, go figure...

We presume that the planet Mars is the reference in the manfrommars handle; what do you call someone from the Vega star system?

45. Kevin McMurtrie Silver badge

Modifiers

Isn't this what Unicode modifiers were designed to address? You start with a bowl symbol then add modifiers for lettuce, spinach, sunflower seeds, tomato, bacon, cheese, a dash of medium salsa, and steak. Even better if I can text that to a take-out restaurant. Damn, I'm hungry now.

46. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can't imagine why British egg producers would want their product associated with a bowl of pet fodder anyway.

47. Whit.I.Are

If Google are trying to be more inclusive...

...they should also remove the face from the poo emoji. That would be less discriminatory against those of us who don't do poos with faces.

48. biebel
    Coat

That was egg saturated; let's toss the salad emoji now!

49. kain preacher

I'm sure they had an egg cellent reason to remove it. excellent

50. NanoMeter

Think of the meat eaters!

Won't someone think of the meat eaters? This is not inclusion. I prefer my salads with ham'n stuff.

51. Mr. Fatuous

That salad isn't inclusive of my kids. One would only eat the lettuce and the other would throw the salad away and fill the bowl with crisps. He would have eaten the egg though.

Why do you hate my kids Google?

52. Scott Marshall
    Flame

What's the emoji for ...

"Fu**wits" and "Fu**tards"?

Seriously, all this "political correctness" hearkens back to the good-bad-old-days of KGB and the political commissars (or politruk) that ensured (enforced?) ideological "purity" in the organisations in which they were embedded.

I wish the so-called "politically correct" w*nkers would realise that their so-called "inclusiveness" actually creates and promotes more divisiveness than previously existed.

There's only one good thing for the precious little marshmallows; being shoved on the end of a big prong and roasted over an open fire.

53. jaffa99

Eggism, Adolf Hitler would be proud.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon