back to article Google freezes Android P: Get your shoes on, tire-kicking devs

With Google freezing the Android P APIs yesterday, both major mobile platforms have shown their hand for 2018. The freeze comes as Google released "Beta 2", which is really the third Developer Preview release of Android P issued so far. The API freeze means developers can now compile and submit apps compatible with Android P …

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge

How rapid will it get into use?

Given the snail like adoption of some Android releases I have to wonder how fast it will be adopted by the phone makers?

Does Google actually care about the rate their software is adopted?

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Re: How rapid will it get into use?

The following are obviously possible but this year a number of other devices - from Nokia, Sony, Xiaomi, OnePlus, Essential and Vivo.

This hints at the success of project Treble which should make future updates available to more phones faster. Obviously not the long tail, but more than we're used. If this works well then it could be a stick to hit the laggards (Samsung) with.

Some manufacturers are still struggling with Treble but the number of devices getting LOS 15.1 is increasing albeit slowly; the most recent unofficial build I got for my S5 klte is looking very good.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do users care? I don't. All.my system apps are updates via the play store (unlike iOS), so it's really not that important to get updated. My manufacturer releases security updates, so that's ok, and typically loading updated OS on a device not designed for it generally sucks

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Other than Samsung's flagship pricing (which is aggressively marketing itself as the arch rival of Apple), the conventional wisdom was that Android phones are cheap and disposable, so there's no point updating the software after 1-2 years as some brand new phone would be released.

In fact, with all the superfluous crap the telcos and manufacturers put into their respective 'innovative take' on Android, sometimes updating Android would cause functional and performance problems. And it's just not cost effective for the small and obscure manufacturers to roll them out.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not heard of the Android backwards compatibility libraries? It's constantly updated to support latest ask features in apps for older devices.

Its of course not talked about as it doesn't fit the hidden agenda being pushed....

5. Chands

Yes, the do care about adoption, which is why they spent such a monumental effort on Treble which first appeared in Oreo.

2. ratfox

Unlike Apple?

It didn't seem possible to me to set a supervised account on an iPad without creating an account for the child.

1. Lord Elpuss Silver badge

Re: Unlike Apple?

"but unlike Apple's offering, it requires children under 13 to have a Google account."

The statement is absolutely correct. Apple devices do not require children under 13 to have a Google account.

2. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: Unlike Apple?

Apple's parental controls don't need an Apple ID, they're just hidden behind a password.

3. Wolfclaw

A year to hit the first phones, by the time manufacturers cripple them with unnecessaryUI changes, duplicate apps and general bloatware, if it ever does get pushed out to phones older than 6 months.

1. Is It Me

More devices seem to be coming with close to the pure android experience including some HTCs and most if not all Nokia phones.

When it comes time for me to replace my Pixel 2 I will be looking at one of the pure andriod devices from someone other than Google as the prices for their phones are now too high, I only got the Pixel as I managed to get an exceptional deal on it.

4. Mark 110

Get em young . .

Bit harsh implying that getting them young is a Google tactic and not an Apple one.

Apple have been subsidizing their kit into schools very heavily for the last 10 - 15 years.

5. PaulR79

"Google warns that battery life "may be regressed" in this release."

Need a lot more information on this. Why? What is causing a worse experience? How has it been allowed into a release? Is it a rare thing or likely to affect everyone using it? They can't make statements like that and not elaborate.

6. cmaurand

Just what I always wanted

Just what I always wanted: another update that will slow down my device even more and shorten its battery life by another helf.

Oy

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like