back to article FTSE has a nap after a full English IT glitch

Traders were given an hour's reprieve this morning from the tedious task of making and losing copious amounts of cash as the FTSE 100 failed to get out of bed following a technical "glitch". In the absence of official word from the exchange itself, users took to social media as they pondered what to do with an unexpectedly …

1. wolfetone Silver badge

I fully expect the Daily Fail and The S*n to run with a story that fingers the Russians for this IT outage.

1. CrazyOldCatMan Silver badge

Daily Fail and The S*n to run with a story that fingers the Russians

s/Russians/Europeans/* g

2. Blockchain commentard
      Facepalm

Hey, I've got some great emails which encourage me to finger the Russians (and then marry them) !!!!

2. MiguelC Silver badge

Poor communication from LSE

Euronext is having lots of hiccups lately (they've been implementing new pricing and trading platforms) but at least they tell us what's going on and what to expect and give multiple status updates on their website.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
      FAIL

Re: Poor communication from LSE

Poor communication from The Register too. Is it too much to understand the difference between the Stock Exchange and the FTSE 100?

1. Nick Kew

@AMBxx

True.

Though having written for various editors (including once upon a time El Reg) I suspect that particularly howler might be editorial (too wordy - chop). I think I'd've picked up on that one, but a journo writing several pieces a day might care less about any one of them.

3. Ben1892

Odd that it came up bang on 09:00, someone been messing about with daylight saving?

1. Test Man

Not really, the fault might have been fixed way before then (such as 0850, 0830, or even 0805), and the powers-at-be might have decided to open at a time that was on the hour.

1. Hans Neeson-Bumpsadese Silver badge

Not really, the fault might have been fixed way before then (such as 0850, 0830, or even 0805), and the powers-at-be might have decided to open at a time that was on the hour.

Agreed. The speed that automated trading occurs these days is truly staggering, Getting in on something even a split second before someone else can make a huge difference. Sensible thing to do is a have a concrete point for everyone to get back through the doors. On the hour just seem like a logical synchronisation point.

1. AMBxx Silver badge
          Joke

Maybe they were testing?!!??

4. Arthur the cat Silver badge

losing copious amounts of cash

losing copious amounts of other people's cash

T,FTFY

5. 0laf

New cleaner doing the hoovering?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>New cleaner doing the hoovering?

No, that sound you could hear were traders taking advantage of the down time to go and do more coke in the toilets.

6. SVV

Gives a new meaning to the phrase....

"The markets are down this morning"

1. Korev Silver badge
      Coat

Re: Gives a new meaning to the phrase....

I wonder who's going to FTSE the bill?

7. Tom 7

Anomolies in the pricing data

I wonder if insiders are trying to game the system?

8. Duffaboy
    Joke

damn those

Pesky windows updates ..

9. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Overnight batch running late?

10. The Oncoming Scorn Silver badge
    Coat

No TITSUP?

Total Inability To Substantially Upscale Profits.

This was the best could just before bed.....

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon