back to article Microsoft partners to fling out collabo-visual Ginormonitors this year

Microsoft last night dropped the veil on a "new category of teamwork devices" – the not-quite-a-Surface-Hub Windows Collaboration Display (or Whopping Computer Display, judging by the size of it.) The device, which on first glance looks like a giant monitor, was shown off at Computex 2018 in Taipei, Taiwan, last eve, with …

1. CertMan

Too big for me

I use a 43" 4K TV as my monitor and I can honestly say that I wouldn't like a personal monitor any larger.

1. Frederic Bloggs

Re: Too big for me (but maybe not if it were curved)

I have just started using 43" 4K TV as well. It is cheap (compared to the Dell 30 incher I had before), works well, has better colour than the Dell (once it's set up - it's rubbish out of the box). It only really has one downside - it's a huge flat screen telly (37" x 21") being viewed from 2 feet away. What this means is that it is soooo big that I have to move (albeit it slightly) so that I can focus properly on the sides of the screen - me being a bit myopic and of the older persuasion.

I know ElReg has wondered what a curved screen telly might be for, but using one as monitor would definitely be a genuine use case. So I am waiting for the OLED curved TVs to come down in price, then I can retire this one to the living room for the occasional house guest that actually wants to watch live programming.

Have a look at this example. You can get a £10 cheaper version, with some legs at each end instead of the chunky central stand, from Amazon. You'll also need a modern graphics card that can do HDMI 2 @ 60hz to drive it.

2. TheVogon

Re: Too big for me

"Google's Jamboard, which currently undercuts Microsoft's Surface Hub by quite some way."

Because its technically inferior by quite some way.

2. RyokuMas
    Trollface

Oh noes!

Microsoft are making monitors! It probably slurps everything I do evaaaar, not that this my giving all my details away for "free stuff" to other companies showed Microsoft that this slurping is a viable business model! I must immediately migrate everything I have made projector displays! Never mind the Github thing, this is eeeeeevil!!!!

... just to get it in before someone whose head is still stuck in the 90s does. Possibly with the odd WORD in CAPITALS because they think it somehow makes their argument look better...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh noes!

You may mock privacy concerned people, but the joke's on you.

1. RyokuMas
        Facepalm

No, the joke is on the aforementioned people who fell for the lure of free stuff and handed over their data, thus ultimately leading Microsoft to the idea that here is a new viable business model - albeit several years after everyone else.

Incidentally, what browser/search engine/phone/social media do you use?

1. King Jack
          Flame

Re: Incidentally, what browser/search engine/phone/social media do you use?

Why do people justify a wrong by pointing to something else that is also wrong? That does not make it right. I just makes you look like a fool. M$ spys and steals data from their users. That's fine because Facebook does the same? Please come up with an adult argument that makes data slurping OK.

1. RyokuMas
            Boffin

Re: Incidentally, what browser/search engine/phone/social media do you use?

That's fine because Facebook does the same?

Did I ever say it was fine? No. I just said that others were already doing it (quite successfully, too), and Microsoft - in typical Microsoft style - went "Oooh look, we need to get into that action".

Please come up with an adult argument that makes data slurping OK.

I'll let you know as soon as I have one. In the meantime, please try and read what I have written and not jump to conclusions or apply biases that are not there.

And as for my question regarding which browser, mobile etc - it's not about who started slurping data first, or whether it is right or wrong, it's about pointing out that this is not just a Microsoft thing. Personally, I would like to see tighter regulation and full user control of what data any of these companies can harvest, but I don't have the lobbying capital to go head-to-head against these corporate giants...

2. TheVogon

"Microsoft are making monitors!"

Microsoft had made hardware for many years. And much of it is very good.

"It probably slurps everything I do evaaaar"

But probably less than anything made by Google, Facebook, Apple, etc. etc.

1. AndyTJackson

You seem to be quite knowledgable on Microsoft matters - what is the basis for your conclusion that Microsoft collects less information on their users than Apple?

3. MonkeyCee

Smartboard

What's the difference between these "new" devices and smartboards, which have been in schools for a decade or two now? 75" touchscreen seemed pretty normal when I was a site admin for a school ~12 years ago, albeit not cheap.

Biggest pain was having to ensure that there weren't any normal whiteboards anywhere near them, as supply teachers had a nasty habit of using marker pens on them. The little pricks, er, students tended to wait until the sub at gone off hunting for a marker (as the one on the board "didn't work"), written some guff up there, and tried to wipe it off with the "eraser" before pointing out the potential issue.

1. GruntyMcPugh Silver badge

Re: Smartboard

@MonkeyCee

My thoughts too, I did a stint as a school IT Technician recently, in junior schools, and they had a mix of interactive whiteboards with projectors, and touch screen monitors. The latter usually had a NUC attached to the back, while the former, being older, were usually hooked up to a full sized PC. I quite liked the touch screen TVs, it was all a bit 'Minority Report' : -)

4. Warm Braw

Why build the sensors into the screen?

Apart from the inventory issue this "new class" of device raises, I'm not sure I'd want to swap out a 70" screen just to upgrade, change (or fix) an environmental sensor.

Presumably, there's a use case I'm missing (besides not being a multinational corporation with a budget to spend on that up-and-coming IoT thing).

5. karlkarl Silver badge

Sigh, let me guess:

Running on some locked down arm SoC that can only run crippled AppStore Windows?

Doesn't sound very good for collaboration compared to say... even Windows 95.

Next please...

6. steve-b
    Thumb Up

I'm not sure about it being a new class of device. The real question is, is it a new Reg standard unit of measurement?

1. Martin an gof Silver badge

I'm not sure about it being a new class of device

Yes, I'm struggling to see what the major innovation is, too. For example, Panasonic does a range of huge touchscreens with built-in intelligence, and NEC does a range of TVs with Raspberry Pis built-in.

M.

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Unfortunately the NEC screens are for signage in public areas and as such are a bit pricey... but if you got the Pi to run VNC which mirrored laptop displays with WiFi Direct then you'd probably have something ten times more collaborative than MS' effort.

2. Mage Silver badge

Re: New Class of Device?

Definitely not new.

I'm sure any slurping is insignificant compared to Android TV.

I'd go for touch screen / interactive white board / Projector what ever depending on application connected to generic laptop/PC with choice of Mac OS, Windows and Linux and collaborative tools etc based on application.

I'd want to see proper version of Win10 before investing in this.

1. onefang

Re: New Class of Device?

"I'd want to see proper version of Win10 before investing in this."

I'd want to see Linux on it, but I'd still not invest in it. I have a hard enough time buying monitors that are small enough for my desk.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ginormonitor

I don't get it, do they contain Ginorite?

8. russsh

The hydra

Refer to Dabbsy’s recent piece. Is this not just the latest incarnation of the unfathomable teleconferencing equipment with its six power sockets and Gordian knot of cables?

What I really want is a single monolithic piece of equipment that I can invite to my Skype4B meeting to project whatever is being shared and act as a speakerphone.

1. Lusty

Re: The hydra

"What I really want is a single monolithic piece of equipment that I can invite to my Skype4B meeting to project whatever is being shared and act as a speakerphone."

So...a Surface Hub then? Done. A while ago. Also it's a whiteboard and can run apps :)

2. se99paj

Re: The hydra

You could use any TV and connect a Polycom Trio to it.

9. Skwosh

Suggestion

If it's not too late, I'd like to suggest gigantotelly as an alternative to enormonitor.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Teamwork and collaboration?

Sounds like something for gamers, rather than a dull meeting at an office.

11. Borg.King

Is it bigger. . .

. . . than a London double decker bus?

12. Missing Semicolon Silver badge
    FAIL

Surface hub

They have one in an office near us.

It's still in reception, as it's so heavy, it can't be put on the upstairs floors.

It's left on, even though it's not networked yet. It takes so much power, that if you get within a few inches of the screen you can feel the heat coming off it. Over the vast area of LCD!

So, too big, too hot, and as big a waste of Carbon as you could wish.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like