back to article Amazon scam trio primed for prison stretch after million-dollar fraud

A pair of married scammers and their fence were sentenced to 71 months, 68 months, and 24 months in prison respectively for defrauding Amazon.com, the US Attorney's Office (USAO) for the Southern District of Indiana said on Monday. Erin Finan, 38, and Leah Finan, 38, residents of the Muncie-Anderson area of Indiana, previously …

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Trust and lack of trust.

When you're an adult, you're expected, to be up to the trust that people put in you. If you prove to be an asshole who violates that trust, then you should chuck the consequences.

My opinion is that fraudsters like these should suffer being vetted and checked and generally being given a hard life with security checks.

My $0.02 ...

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge
      Happy

Re: Trust and lack of trust.

"suffer being vetted"

"vetted" is also a euphemism for something a little more drastic. That would be a deterrent.

2. Mark 85

a hard life with security checks,

I'll hope you mean a long time in prison. For all the fraud they did, I think they got off rather light.

3. FuzzyWuzzys
    Mushroom

What pee's me off is that once again the only people who suffer are genuine honest people. Amazon returns is superb, I've returned genuinely broken items without any fuss at all, unlike a lot of retailers who will just make you feel like a scumbag for trying to get something sorted out, some online PC parts suppliers and very well known printer manufacturers who shall remain nameless. As usual there's always some arsehole trying to game the system and Amazon will probably tighten up the process and making it harder for genuine problems to be dealt with as easily.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Amazon returns is superb"

Yes, just their logistics optimization can be exploited - they often don't ask to return defective items because handling them would be more expensive than leaving them to the customer. Just I'm surprised they did it with expensive items that could be sold as refurbished ones.

I've read recently that Amazon also started to ban people who return a large number of items - it looks there are not so few who think Amazon is also a trial/rent service. Yes, the return policies are great, but then you get scoundrels who abuse them.

Recently I had to return an item, a photo softbox, because one of the internal diffuser was of the wrong size - it wasn't folded as they usually are from the factory, I suspect someone ordered different sizes, then returned some without even taking care to put the right pieces in the right box.

1. rmason

Re: "Amazon returns is superb"

If it's under £10 cost, they generally don't ask for the item back.

I'm not sure how this lot thought they'd get away with it, as with macbooks, surfaces, go pros et al they 100% would ask for the item back.

They are tightening up, they are banning accounts of people who seem to return an unusual amount of stuff.

1. TonyJ

Re: "Amazon returns is superb"

I bought a couple of 2.5" SATA disks from Amazon to pop into my lab server at home.

Now despite them being identical (but newer) to one that was already in, and put into genuine HP gen8 carriers, the server still thought they were in an overheat situation and ramped all of the fans up to 100%. It sounded like it was trying to take off.

I got in touch with Amazon and outlined the issue to ask if I could swap for another manufacturer, fully expecting to be told no as it wasn't really an issue with the disks themselves so imagine my surprise when I was offered a full refund and told to keep the originals!

Two disk carriers later and they were perfectly good external disks. Two compatible disks from Amazon followed quickly as well.

Not massively high ticket-value items (about 30 quid each from memory) but still amazed they'd do that.

Say what you want about Amazon (and there's plenty to say, one way or another) but they know how to keep customers.

2. David Austin

I know all the bad things Amazon do (Especially to suppliers and the poor warehouse workers), but they tilt the deck so far in the customer's favour, and really work with you to make sure you're happy: I've yet to have an Amazon issue that was not resolved to my satisfaction.

Most recent one was a £50 battery pack I bought that manufacturer said could do X, but could only half do X: Amazon initially arranged a free return for refund, but Post office wouldn't accept it as a "Defective" Lithium battery. Amazon said keep it and refunded it anyway.

I've (Half-jokingly) said it many times before: Amazon are evil, but they're convenient evil.

1. Jedit Silver badge
        WTF?

"Amazon are evil, but they're convenient evil."

Your refund and replace is being funded out of the pockets of their line workers. I for one would prefer them to be somewhat less convenient and a lot less evil.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They slipped up

From a brief skim of the court documents, it looks like they were buying Amazon gift cards to make the purchases, thinking the items couldn't be traced to them - presumably they were being delivered to vacant houses so the shipping address couldn't be connected with them but I didn't read that far.

However, they were dumb enough to use a debit card to buy the Amazon gift cards at a grocery store, and presumably that debit account or other purchases made with it were able to be connected with them. If they'd bought the gift cards with cash they'd probably still be doing it at least so long as there were enough vacant houses for them to use for delivery addresses for their fake accounts (and that their access to amazon.com was suitably cloaked via multiple VPNs, Tor or the like)

Once again, criminals think they are smart but really aren't smart enough to think through all the details of their plan and leave an obvious trail to get caught. And once I wonder how many criminals there are out there who are smart enough to do all the things I outlined here, and perhaps other things I didn't take into account, who have been running scams like this for years and never got caught.

5. mark l 2 Silver badge

From selling on ebay myself i understand that returning small items costing < £10 that customers claim are faulty it is often easier to refund than ask for a customer to return them. The costs in paying for the return often being more than the item is worth.

Although if i suspect someone is trying to pull a scam I will pay for the return costs, had someone claim an item was broken - worth about £40 - he claimed he had no facilities to send me any photos or videos of the item and was demanding an immediate refund.

I smelled a rat on this occasion and said I would arrange for the item to be collected by a courier "He wasn't going to wait around for a courier to collect". Offered that he could take it to the Post office and I would reimburse him for the postage costs "He had no way of getting to the post office as it was too far away" (I checked and it was about 5 minute walk from the address where the item was delivered to and the item wasn't big or heavy)

In the end after a lot of messages backwards and forwards he said he had managed to 'fix' the item and closed the return. But perhaps similar tactics work with Amazon, say you have no way of returning the item and kick up enough fuss and they just let you keep the items even if they are more expensive ones.

6. Old one

Joke sentences

Crime does pay...

7. theExecutive

Amazon Freebie

Well this will go on social media, then a lot of Amazon "FreeBies" will occur, kinda soon..

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like