back to article Facebook's Trending news box follows fired freelancers out the door

Facebook's controversial Trending section has fallen out of fashion and will be removed next week, along with products and third-party partner integrations that rely on the Trends API. Introduced in 2014, the section, available on desktop and mobile devices, was intended "to help people discover content that is both popular in …

1. elDog

Just like google's attempt to tell me what I want to know

Lame and wrong.

I have stopped listening to most broadcast (radio/T.V.) since they are trying to dictate what I should hear/see. Google's new "news" page has become so dumbed down that maybe even the repuglican tea-party wing-nuts can understand the content.

I don't want one of these parasites of customer information (including our esteemed TheRegister) to try to feed me pablum.

By the way, I am a 17 year old virgin in search for a nice rendezvous. Voulez-vous coucher avec moii?

Actually that was from around 60 years ago and I don't sleep well with company.

2. Inventor of the Marmite Laser Silver badge

See what's trending

I have never understood why I should give a rats arse about what is "trending"

It seems to be associated with organisations serving me ads for more of what I have just bought/looked at/etc.

1. Mark 85

Re: See what's trending

Reminds of the clickbait headlines some "news" pages have; "The Internet is going wild over (fill bit goes here)....". Really, the whole Internet.. world wide. Hmm.... oh look.. ads (paid content), more BS.. etc.

2. Steve K

See also LinkedIn’s “Curated News” feed that you cannot turn off in the LinkedIn App.

I am not comfortable with those with other agendas curating what they think I should read - thus I have deleted the App.

1. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

So I guess you don't visit any news sites, whether HuffPo or Drudge or anything between, because their news is 'curated' with 'other agendas' also. So where do you get your news from, praytell?

For that matter, what the hell are you doing at the Register? Why'd they choose to write/display this article, and not one about hundreds of other possible subjects? Damn agendas...

1. Richard 12 Silver badge

There's a difference between choosing to visit one or more given "news" sites, and having "news" thrust at you by some aggregator when you're looking for something else.

If you visit the Guardian or Russia Today, you know what biases to expect.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So now

You'll just have to pay through the Nose to get Top Ranking, just like the sheep who flock to Google.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

And yet people have bought curated news for years

if it was called the Daily Mail, or Telegraph, or Washington Post

1. Steve K

Re: And yet people have bought curated news for years

A fair point, but LinkedIn is not meant to be a newspaper.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: LinkedIn is not meant to be a newspaper.

Oh dear.

That does rather raise the question what is it meant to be then ?

It's supposed to be some sort of aid to recruiting. But as far as my experiences go, it's just a hunting ground for pretty mediocre recruitment agents and agencies, and rather moribund HR departments.

What the **** was the point or carefully curating experience, contacts, endorsements and skills, if every time you go to apply for a job you pretty much end up having to re-enter it ?

Oh, and despite my email discussion with their "features team" 2 years ago they still can't handle citizenships as an attribute. Which has become quite important now, with the UK pulling out of the EU.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They ought to just give up

The long saga ends with them apparently deciding that providing an unbiased news feed is just too difficult (duh!). Could have told them that.

The solutions These new ways include a Breaking News label in the News Feed section for select publishers, etc. seem a whole lot worse (at least the 'Trending' section was fairly unobtrusive).

If I want curated news I go to proper news sites, with all their biases, and attempt to sort out the truth by comparing them. Otherwise, I really prefer not to have news any less important than imminent war thrust in front of me.

6. redroof
    Meh

"Trending" and "You may also be interested in..." are on the top of the list list of my most hated features of the Internet media. I know what I am interested in, I know how to find it if and when I want and need no pushers tell me what I "may" or "may not" like.

7. hitmouse

Re: "Fall Creators Update"

Trending News always prioritised US events over anything happening in your own country. There were days when minor US sporting events cleared the board of any international news.

8. Barry Rueger

One minor problem...

Facebook algorithms consistently feed me ads and "news" that are entirely not of any interest. I can't imagine why any company would advertise there.

Google at least manages to usually send stuff that matches my interests.

9. Cincinnataroo

Power to the people?

There is an answer for some people. Stop trying to do anything bud, it'll fail, instead give me an API and I'll write my own filters.

10. Claptrap314 Silver badge

"Trending" and "Everyone..." are social manipulation

of social creatures. That explains the "why?". Now, if they just gave us the ability to turn the nonsense off...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like