back to article Facebook finally fully embraces GDPR – Generally Derailing Pages Recklessly

Facebook is mysteriously and inexplicably locking people out of their Pages – the social network's profiles for businesses and organizations. Quite a few Register readers have written in and tweeted to complain they haven't been able to get into and administrate their Pages accounts for much of the day. Folks also report being …

1. J. R. Hartley

The title is no longer required.

Total Inability To Support Users Pages.

2. Gene Cash Silver badge

Good... there should be no such thing as Facebook business pages anyway.

If a vendor is too lame to have a real page, then I just skip them.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. PhilipN Silver badge

too lame to have a real page

Couldn't agree more. Even worse is those who have a real page which has an invitation to go to their FB page. Makes no sense. Why would I want to go elsewhere when I am already looking at their own website? Mad.

1. Korev Silver badge

Re: too lame to have a real page

Maybe worse again are the businesses who just create a "normal" user account and then befriend people. I know this is against Facebook's rules but it seems widely flouted.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"If a vendor is too lame to have a real page, then I just skip them."

However, many business owners are unable to avoid the fact that their customers are glued to FB and unable to engage with them otherwise.

1. JohnFen

Such businesses can have both. If the only net presence a business has is a Facebook page, then that business is completely invisible to me online.

3. Suburban Inmate
    Gimp

Might is right.

Ballsups happen to even the biggest firms, granted, but nobody should be surprised by the nature of their response; it's not like wastebook has to bother being accountable or responsible now that it's a global behemoth.

Who didn't see this situation coming years ago?

4. Cincinnataroo

A win for the dark forces?

Maybe this is what you get when you have semi-baked support automation. No support is a guaranteed part of our service.

From the "Total Destruction of Society Project", victory is within our grasp, Rejoice.

1. Mark 85

Re: A win for the dark forces?

Maybe this is what you get when you have semi-baked support automation. No support is a guaranteed part of our service.

So the semi-baked support automation is just as bad at "outsourced support" then.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

If you think Faecebook is important

You are probably too stupid to use it

1. not.known@this.address

Re: If you think Faecebook is important

What would you suggest that would allow friends and family to stay in touch with each other around the globe then?

1. David Nash Silver badge

What would we suggest to keep in touch? Can you really not think of any other way to contact people than Facebook?

I get on well with Telephones, email, text messages.

1. JohnFen

This. It's also trivial and cheap-to-free to set up and maintain a website. You don't even really need to know anything about websites anymore, unless you want to get fancy.

6. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Probably unrelated, but...

Probably unrelated, but I've had problems with El Reg stories not loading and timing out, but only some. Likewise google.co.uk home page, this evening. Seems to be sorted now.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps someone has just taken out one of those SuperInjunctions

against FaeceBook, so it's so secret that they're not even allowed to tell you about it.

(and if they did, they would have to kill you to ensure that justice wasn't seen to be being done).

8. FozzyBear
    Happy

I was wondering why my torrents were running faster today.

I good percentage of the population was unable to post or watch cat videos

9. Denarius

more reason then

for the PHBs and clueless running much of Oz state governments websites to insist on using FB authentication. Oz gummints love stuffups, failures and imported borking. Why, GOK and even then I have doubts.

10. arctic_haze

Maybe it is the way Facebook accomodates ne EU privacy rules

At least they should spin it that way.

11. Elmer Phud

Nothing new

Anyone running 'Social Fixer' to wrest control of Facebook will be well aware of almost constant code changes.

Just as you've wrestled FaceAche in to submission and hidden or stopped allthe annoying shit they change a bit of code and half your filters don't work as they ought to.

1. RFC822

Re: Nothing new

Rather than running Social Fixer (whatever that is), why not just delete your Facebook account?

Far more effective!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

REVENGE !!

It is the revenge of the nerds, in its most classic sense.

You wanted GDPR, here's my response ....

Signed

Fark Fuckerburg.

13. KATET

admin access

Could any one tell me if they have managed to get access back to their business page please who seem to have been caught up in this FB issue? Many Thanks

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like