back to article Australia’s SigInt spooks may be turned inwards after all

The Australian Signals Directorate, the nation’s signals intelligence agency, may be turned inwards after all. Home Affairs minister Peter Dutton told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 730 that the Directorate (ASD) may be used to defend critical infrastructure such as the financial system or emergency services …

1. P. Lee

A few questions:

1. Why would a national security agency be dealing with child abuse? That seems like using the army for police work. Shouldn't they just provide training, rather than change the law?

2. Why would they be dealing with child abuse in someone else's jurisdiction? Shouldn't they pass the data to the relevant authorities rather than going all vigilante?

3. What is the limiting principle? Child abuse? Spouse abuse? 50 Shades re-enactments? Bullying? Kids calling each other mean names?

4. Is the course of action in using the ASD proportional to the stated problem? How many incidents of child abuse where the asd helped using a cyber-attack, occurred last year?

5. Can they explain how taking out a media server mitigates the stated problem of child abuse? Even if it was a live event, even if the ddos was successful, how is the child rescued from harm?

Preliminary analysis: Liars.

And when we are talking about the State, dangerous liars.

2. FozzyBear
    Big Brother

Sounds like someone is trying to build their own little empire. Hoover, oops I mean, Dutton needs to concentrate on the original mandate of the Aus Sigint.

If the child abuse example is the best he has to justify this sort of internal intrusion. I am seriously concerned about what are his real plans. Or is this just the next step in nanny state implementation

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nanny State

Dutton is just Liberal "Small Government" in action

2. Magani
      Big Brother

@FozzyBear

I am seriously concerned about what are his real plans.

You and me both. If you take a look at what assets the newish Dept of Home Affairs (and hence Dutton) have under their mandate, a view could be formed that he was engaged in a spot of empire building that would make Caesar jealous.

I'm also thinking of the deviousness of the character who uttered the immortal words:-

You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment...

3. W.S.Gosset

? Already accessible?

I was under the impression from something I read a few months back, that the AFP etc had the right to ask ASD for specific assistance/capability in specific matters, via approved warrant and so on. It seemed that ASD could already provide technical assistance/ability to domestic agencies on (controlled) request.

Is this in fact not the case?

4. onefang

"the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 730"

I suspect that should have been "the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 7:30 Report".

Anything coming from any government along the lines of "OH NOES, PEDOS!!!" is likely just a power grab.

1. Tac Eht Xilef

"I suspect that should have been "the Australian Broadcasting Corporation’s 7:30 Report"."

It's been just "7.30" for quite a few years now, and a lot of their promo material - on-screen graphics, twatter hashtags, etc. - skips the "."

But yes, it irritates me too... ;)

1. onefang

Well, I've not actually watched TV for over a decade, and only iView for Dr Who these days, so I didn't notice the change. Is it all part of ABC tightening their belts, that the names and logo's have to be shortened to save money? Will 730 soon be reduced to 420, then we have to start wondering what they are smoking?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like