back to article Apple will start coughing up government app takedown demand stats

In its latest Transparency Report, covering government demands for customer and device data in the second half of 2017, Apple said that it will soon enumerate government app takedown requests. "Starting with the Transparency Report period July 1 - December 31 2018, Apple will report on Government requests to take down Apps …

1. Blockchain commentard

So, one rule for the government, one rule for us. Oh, and another rule for China. What's that? Another rule for inhouse? I thought Apple was run by accountants but it seems it's now run by lawyers.

1. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

Apple's never been an honest player

Apple has never been an honest player, starting decades ago with the false "Macs don't get viruses" mantra. A buddy of mine recently retired from Apple after three & half decades there. He claims there was never a time he worked there when getting caught on the Apple campus with a computer of any type without anti-virus on it wasn't a fireable offense.

1. imaginarynumber

Re: Apple's never been an honest player

Actually Apple said that Macs couldn't get PC viruses. You are correct though, they have a history of telling porkies and intentionally misleading people. They continued the virus BS until the ASA slapped them down for saying that Gatekeeper kept users safe from harm. The ASA pointed out that it had falled to protect some 600,000 Mac users from the Flashback drive by.

Apple promptly replaced the word safe with safer.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. K
    Pint

to disallow Value's Steam Link app

Admittedly I have a Macbook Pro for work, purely because its the closest thing to a Linux OS the IT team will allow.. But I have no iCloud account and on principle will never ever purchase anything from the Appstore or iTunes.

I use Android phones, but won't buy anything that I can root.. quite simply because if I purchase a device, then what I install and how I use it, is up to me. This includes what Apps I want installed, whether ads should be shown etc.

Manufacturers who artificially limit or restrict a users experience for the intend of lining their own pockets, are nothing more than 21st century version of cartels and pimps.

I refuse to line their pockets as much as possible by

• Ensuring I run ad blocks (on everything!)
    • Will not use apps or games that promote micro-transactions
    • I install apps via FDroid where possible
    • Obtain apps direct from the developers (often they include additional features Google/Apple will not allow)
    • Use alternative sources, such as PirateBay (joke.. never do this)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: to disallow Value's Steam Link app

You got downvoted for being sensible ? Wow the fanbois force is strong :}

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like