back to article Overhyping AI doctors, language translation goes open source, and new jobs on the cards

Here’s a quick roundup to keep you updated on what’s been happening in AI, beyond what we've already covered, for your long weekend. It includes news of Samsung and Qualcomm setting up new AI research teams, why human radiologists are still better than machines and support for Amazon’s Keras-MXNet backend. Hold your horses AI …

1. 404

Ever get the idea we're doing this all wrong?

Datasets datasets datasets... essentially choices weighted with different probabilities which is good and fine, but it's the question that matters. How do you get AI to ask the right question to arrive at the correct answer?

Like a good 85% of IT is the strength of your Googlefu - some folks are very very good at it, most are not. Why? Some folks are better at the question and get better/correct results.

1. John H Woods Silver badge

Strength of GoogleFu

Yes, some people just can't search and/or evaluate results. My daughter's partner is always saying "Hey Siri..." and then managing to bork the question in a way that would make it almost impossible for an intelligent human to decipher.

1. rskurat

Re: Strength of GoogleFu

There was a sweet spot around 15 years ago where search engines were OK but not stellar that trained us to construct searches well. Now my 17-year-old borks searches 'cause he doesn't have the vocabulary & 70-year-old mum borks the results, also 'cause she doesn't have the vocabulary.

2. I.Geller Bronze badge

How do you get AI to ask the right question to arrive at the correct answer?

Context and its subtexts: the first determines the second. For example the context dictates dictionary definitions for each word.

Chose the best for your AI.

3. Ian Michael Gumby
      Boffin

@404... Re: Ever get the idea we're doing this all wrong?

You have two issues...

1) Coming to a conclusion and a diagnosis based on a patient interview...

2) Coming to a conclusion and diagnosis based on diagnostic imaging.

Its not just asking the better question, but also how you interpret the answer.

To give you an example...

My father was a Radiologist who, back in the day, actually had patient contact. ( Radiologists today, for the most part, don't really interact with the patient, except in a couple of procedures. )

He used to tell me that when he looked at a patient, he sometimes had to ask if they were a smoker or a drinker. If they drank, he would ask how much... e.g. how many beers in a sitting or per day.

Then based on what he saw, and how they answered... he would come up with a swag. Why? Because a good doctor knows when a patient is lying or not being completely truthful.

So imagine when you have an AI attempt to do the same thing... not so easy.

But when you get to diagnostic imaging processing, you have more potential for AI to help augment Radiologists. (e.g. CAD systems for mamograms) This is where both the AI and the Radiologist are on par in that it takes training and attention to detail in order to find an artifact or something that would require a biopsy.

And of course the X-rays aren't just binary... you may find calcification / remodeling from earlier breaks and healing. How does the AI interpret that? Again, it takes a lot of data and experience to be able to interpret the data, so the AI systems can improve... IMHO... I'd still trust the human over the machine.

1. rskurat

Re: @404... Ever get the idea we're doing this all wrong?

I'm sure it's never occurred to these Hype-Meisters to incorporate Pt history into their "models." This isn't about the patients at all, and will probably lead to overdiagnosis and "bioopsies."

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Terminator

Fascinating insights about our lives!

“In the coming years, Internet of Things (IoT) devices embedded with AI [what does that even mean] will generate a vast array of data that can provide fascinating insights about our lives, analysing complex usage patterns and seamlessly enabling us to take advantage of intelligent services optimised for our own personal preferences and behaviours,”

Looking forward to the the day when the central heating IoT embedded with AI analyzes complex usage patterns, detects that you just want to kill yourself due to extreme exposure to AI hype, and seamlessly ramps up the carbon monoxide because it just wants to helpoptimize for personal preferences.

1. Mark 85

Re: Fascinating insights about our lives!

That, plus they'll sell the data to advertisers. Though for your example, you might suddenly start seeing ads for various drugs or even firearms.

Let's face it, there's no benefit or incentive for any company doing AI to "help" you unless it improves their bottom line.

1. onefang

"That, plus they'll sell the data to advertisers. Though for your example, you might suddenly start seeing ads for various drugs or even firearms."

If the carbon monoxide levels are ramping up, they better get their adverts in quick, coz soon the adverts will be useless, nothings gonna get bought.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"there's no benefit or incentive for any company doing AI to "help" you unless it improves their bottom line."

The moment Co-op Funeral Services Limited start investing in AI ...............

1. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: Co-op Funeral Services Limited

History repeats itself. Strowger was an undertaker.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Indeed he was, but what a waste of effort: he could just have seduced a telephonist.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

Doubt that would've helped Strowger. IIRC there was only ONE operator at the local exchange: his rival's WIFE.

2. Ken Moorhouse Silver badge

Re: optimize for personal preferences.

Very good, have an upvote.

Of course, the user may simply be growing some plants for -er- medicinal purposes. In which case, recommending a machine for mining e-coinage to the user would kill two birds with one stone.

If the AI that has been funneled into it is from a law-abiding source, the authorities would, instead, be notified in both cited cases. Which leads to the observation that, very soon it would be advantageous for the user to know from where the underlying AI has been sourced.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sex robots are going to be a reality in future, aren't they?

No longer science fiction.

1. onefang

Re: Sex robots are going to be a reality in future, aren't they?

Er, sex robots exist now. Sorry I don't have a linky, but I saw a doco on Netflix about them a while ago.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The data set is flawed. Imagenet is 15 millions labled images, this is 12,000 patients. This is the problem with all of the medical work coming out of stanford. For practical purposes their data sets suck.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Maybe AI could........

Stargazing AI employed to find planets and the like did not perform better than humans, Astronomers organised a big hunt and found plenty of planets after briefing people what to look out for. So it does not seem too unusual that AI Radiologist software did not fare any better, and humans had a good score.

Maybe AI could be employed to determine which are better, AI or Humans at determining which are better at determining........

Seems the problem is some humans just keep repeating new words over and over

AI, Ai, ai , ai

1. Waseem Alkurdi

Re: Maybe AI could........

But AI is undoubtedly going to have a bias towards .... humans!

1. Spanners Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

But AI is undoubtedly going to have a bias towards .... humans!

I have such a bias too! In fact, I really hope it does. The survival of my, as yet, non-existent, grandchildren will depend on it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Cthulhu ftagn! IA, IA!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keras

Is a general interface to many back-ends already of which Tensorflow is just one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like