back to article Oz sports’ pee-samplers outed buying Cellebrite phone-crack kit

Australia is ramping up its use of phone-cracking technology to crack serious criminals: its peak sports anti-doping body has taken a Cellbrite licence. ASADA, the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, announced the near-AU$13,000 licence at the government's tender site in April. The announcement says ASADA is using the …

1. rsole

"was that most of the 7,800 phones didn't exist)."

Isn't it more accurate to say - existed multiple times.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"7,800 phones didn't exist - or rather, existed multiple times)."

Its' in the article you just read....or skim read.

(apologies if it was ammended since you posted)

2. Mark 85

This really is a puzzle... a sports association wants to crack cellphones. I'm still not getting the logic now matter how hard I try to wrap my mind around this. I think I've just about heard it all. Are any of the Arks other than the "B" one ready for passengers yet?

1. Youngone Silver badge

I can't figure it out either, but I would imagine ASADA fancies itself an investigatory agency, so they probably feel they need these sorts of tools.

I can imagine athletes telling them to push off when asked to hand over their phone though.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I can imagine athletes telling them to push off when asked to hand over their phone though."

It may be that providing access to communications if required is part of the anti-doping code that the athletes have to sign up to - I'm sure they'd prefer to tell the officials to "push off" when having to detail a one hour window and location on every day when they can be tested but hey don't get an option on that.

1. Mark 65

Simple - get your parents to supply the phone and pay your bill. Not your phone and they can go get fucked. Still wouldn't have a warrant for it anyway and I doubt you'd be able to write the rules to circumvent normal judicial processes.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sports associations' interest in phones

Do you think the NFL, in hindsight, would like to have checked out Colin Kaepernik's personal communications and perhaps, social media accounts prior to hiring?

3. T. F. M. Reader

I thought anti-doping agencies grabbed athletes for mandatory urine samples after competition and maybe also periodically (presumably to make sure someone who uses forbidden performance-enhancing substances gets a place on the national team and hurts the country's reputation if caught). I also thought athletes could not refuse those tests if they wanted to compete. I also thought this was not law enforcement, and that performance-enhancing substances in general are not illegal unless one competes in official events.

Where does hacking phones fit in? And how can it possibly be justified? Even Down Under...

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

Re: Legality of the substances

Well... yes and no (but you are of course mostly right - and very definitely right about the hacking-phones-stuff)

If you actually look at the list, there are a few things that are illegal anyway (e.g. some hard drugs), no matter if you are an athlete or not. Yes, many are substances that would be illegal for athletes to use, either at all or inside a competition, that are otherwise legal medical drugs. Stuff like Salbuthamol comes to my mind. My kid had a series of nasty respiratory infections this winter and he got a prescription for this stuff. For me as a registered athlete (very few races per year, but getting an annual license is cheaper than getting one per race) it would have been a problem (though for Salbuthamol there is a rather generous limit in place below which you are allowed to use it, and as far as I recall it is _in competition_ not outside, and the prescription stuff was not inhaled, which is treated differently) - but there are some cold medications that are actually forbidden in and out of competition.

The other important example "drug" is alcohol. It is only forbidden in FAI and FIA competitions (flight and motorsports). And of course there is caffeine, which is currently "under observation" in use, i.e. they track usage and might impose limits in the future. There was a limit in place several years ago (but only inside competition, I think, and one you couldn't reach by drinking coffee unless you are a sysadmin).

(to all actually competing in a sport: check the list, check with your GP and your pharmacist, it is your own responsibility to stay clean, please do so - not that most of us would be actually tested, either inside or outside of a race)

1. onefang

Re: Legality of the substances

"Stuff like Salbuthamol comes to my mind. My kid had a series of nasty respiratory infections this winter and he got a prescription for this stuff."

I'm thinking you meant Salbutamol, the active ingredient in your average asthma puffer.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"And how can it possibly be justified?"

It doesn't have to be. Justification is for little people.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Where does hacking phones fit in? And how can it possibly be justified? Even Down Under..."

Just read an article on Telegraph online about Pakistani cricketers in test match being reprimanded by ICC officials for wearing smartwatches during the game - to quote the artcle

"Should they choose to do so, the ICC is entitled to download all the material from the smart watches to monitor activity. Last year, the ICC’s anti-corruption unit gained the power to force players to hand over their mobile phones - including all activity on instant messaging services such as WhatsApp - as part of attempts to curb the risk of corruption."

4. CAPS LOCK

The Land of Oz...

... where the laws of Man supercede the laws of Maths.

5. trevorde Silver badge

Next customer will be...

Library services - overdue books are a big problem and a marker for terrorist activity

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Next customer will be...

Any adult borrowing the children's books "Five on Brexit Island" or "The Ladybird Book of the People Next Door".

6. Chris G

I can see the pub from here!

ASADA: Sir we need you to provide a urine sample and your phone or any other smart goods you may have about your person or in your vehicle.

Bloke: But! I was only having a game of darts and a pint of throat charmer.

Click of handcuffs.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I can see the pub from here!

"Bloke: But! I was only having a game of darts and a pint of throat charmer."

Depends who is organising the darts match .... my son does fencing and needed to join the British Fencing Assocation when he waa ~12 to get their insurance cover for fencing at the local club - but as part of joining he had to explicitly agree that he would submit to any doping tests that he was asked to perform. In reality he has never been tested.

1. Mark 65

Re: I can see the pub from here!

Just a question - is a ~12 year old able to give informed legal consent in the eyes of the law? Curious as to what age that would be.

7. Detective Emil

Two years go it might have been reasonable to doubt …

How long was it that governments kept on buying explosives detectors based on golf-ball finders? (Not, ISTR, quite as long as the vendor got in jail, but anyway …)

8. katrinab Silver badge

Is this cellbrite thing any better than the ADE651 bomb detecting dowsing rod that was very popular with governments?

9. JimboSmith Silver badge

I'm sure there's no truth to the shaggy dog story about the athlete and his odd location. The story I heard was that the doping authorities arrived where he was supposed to be. He wasn't there and when they did catch up with him he a perfectly good explanation. He was having had an affair and explained he didn't want his wife to find out hence the duff info on his whereabouts.

1. Joe Werner Silver badge

nice...

... though this still counts as a missed test...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: nice...

As an interesting sideline on data protection on GDPR day, one of the leading UK athletes (forget which one now) described in an interview a couple of years ago that he'd had a "missed test" because he'd given the hotel he was staying in as his location early in the morning, a doping control official arrived at hotel and asked front desk for the room number, they refused as they considered that to be confidential. Ofiicial told them they could not phone athlete to say he was there as that would be considered a breach of the the "no notice test" so he sat in lobby for the hour that the athlete had specified and when they didn't appear recorded it as a missed test. Meanwhile athlete was in his room a few yards away and would not have had a problem with a knock on hte door from a tester as that is what athletes have to expect.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hypothetically, if you were a government that wanted access to as large a proportion of private phones as you could get, then you might well consider rolling out this kind of software to every agency that deals directly with one or more sections of the public.

1. Mark 65

and promptly get told to "get a fucking warrant"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like