back to article Microsoft patches problematic OS to deal with SSD woes

A chink of light has appeared in the wall of Windows 10 update woes in the form of a patch that should address the SSD problems plaguing the OS. The patch, KB4100403, was emitted by the software giant yesterday and brings the version number of the troubled OS to 17134.81. Tucked away among minor tweaks for time zones and …

1. Craig 2

So now fixing a previous fuckup counts as good news for Windows 10!? Bit like the captain saying the plane is crashing but the good news is we'll be landing early...

1. Carl D

"So now fixing a previous fuckup counts as good news for Windows 10!? Bit like the captain saying the plane is crashing but the good news is we'll be landing early..."

Signed in just to give that an upvote.

2. N2
      Pint

Re:

So now fixing a previous fuckup counts as good news for Windows 10!? Bit like the captain saying the plane is crashing but the good news is we'll be landing early...

Pint

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The fat kid always got the most cheers, on sports day.

1. Zippy's Sausage Factory

He always got picked before me in football, as well.

In fact I remember one occasion where it was me and him. He got picked, and the captain of the other side said "we've lost". Sadly, his prediction proved to be correct.

1. JacobZ

As a child, "Picked Last For Sports" was my Indian name.

1. Teiwaz

'You're in goals' was mine.

All the idiots who cared about the game (and winning) wanted to be strikers or [insert footy hero here] and didn't realise goalie was probably too important job to give someone who'd given up on sport and taken up cynicism by age 12.

1. Danny 14

pretty much every school 8 a side game was 7 up front and 1 "rush" goalie though.

2. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

"The fat kid ...."

Sumo wrestling?

3. Zippy's Sausage Factory
    Meh

And people wonder why I keep pausing updates on Windows 10...

1. DJV Silver badge

I paused my Windows 10 update a couple of years back - my computer's still on Windows 7.

1. Jay Lenovo
        Angel

Trust But Verify

Holding out for the upcoming Win 10 "White Rabbit" update.

"Getting so close... almost there (giggle giggle)... Nothing but bliss this time..."

2. nematoad
        Happy

I paused my Windows updates in 1998 when I moved to Linux.

4. Potemkine! Silver badge

Update or not update, that is the question!

If you use RemoteApps, do not install the April Update (v.1803), it would break it.

For the ones having problems of Z-Order with RemoteApps using W10 version 1709 (Fall Creators Update), you can install patch KB4103714 which should fix the problem.

For the ones who didn't update, you made the right choice :-/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Update or not update, that is the question!

"If you use RemoteApps, do not install the April Update (v.1803), it would break it."

You're not supposed to tell them that if you work for GCHQ.

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Avatar of They
      FAIL

Brilliant.

Good job that won't be confusing or annoying for anyone.

6. a_yank_lurker

Yes, but...

What does this patch break?

1. GrumpenKraut
      Unhappy

Re: Yes, but...

> What does this patch break?

I certainly breaks a Linux install on the same drive, as I had the pleasure to witness about eight hours ago. So broken that only talking to the kernel via Alt-SysReq-* 'worked'.

Good job, MS, well done. Thanks tons.

1. Linker3000

Re: Yes, but...

My dual-boot Debian Stretch/Windows 10 box survived the process.

7. Ken Hagan Gold badge

An alternative fix is to migrate your Win10 box into a VM and let a proper OS handle the hard work of talking to actual hardware. Most peripherals now talk over virtualisable channels like USB, so this is much less limiting than it used to be. As an added advantage, you can snapshot the system prior to the upgrade and then use your VM host's options to *really* roll back the update if it goes wrong.

Unless you are dependent on Win10 having full access to your display adapter, this approach has very few downsides these days.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Thumb Up

> ...migrate your Win10 box into a VM and let a proper OS handle the hard work...

That! I am surprised that almost nobody gives this a shot, even after repeated screw-ups with W10 updates.

8. Nematode

Gloat

First rule I learned when I moved to a professional software support role was: Never Update Your Users Until You Are Sure That The Release Is A Stable One. That's why I said No (and still am) to Win 10.

In fact, I personally think "updating" a Windoze machine is a bad idea and for my personal machine would only ever buy a new one designed for the OS in question. For example, I dread what problems the NHS are goign to have in upgrading to Win10. For goodness sake, Win 7 from XP usually produced a machine slower than a very slow thing

1. Updraft102

Re: Gloat

In contrast, I don't care much about the OS that a given machine came with. I'm buying the hardware, as far as I am concerned, and the software that comes preinstalled on there is just a bunch of fluff for people who aren't technically inclined and only know how to turn it on. I'd prefer to get them with no OS or preinstalled software at all if it meant they were cheaper, but few laptops offer this as an option (desktops I buy in pieces, so they never come with an OS).

I'll never use 10 unless some huge changes take place (which I do not foresee), so I'm on my own as far as new hardware goes. It means any place I buy any new laptop from has to have a good return policy, so that if I am not able to get a reasonable OS working to my standards, I can reject it as the unfit product it is. Something that only works with 10 is not a product that deserves to be in the marketplace... saddle it with that malware prior to distribution if you must, but don't make it mandatory.

9. Multivac

Masterful PR tactics

Redhat: Here are some patches.

Redhat customer: Thanks they worked great.

Microsoft: Here are some patches.

Microsoft customer: AAAARRRRGGGHHHH my laptop is dead.

Microsoft customer: HELP ME!!!!!

Microsoft customer: I'VE lost everything.

Microsoft customer: I cant even work.

Microsoft: Here are some patches.

Microsoft customer: It's fixed, you're wonderful, thank you so much, you're the best company ever, even better than Apple.

And that is how you skew customer perception, take them to the depths of hell and bring them back, the sense of relief causes a feeling of euphoria that no logic can counter. There used to be an IT company in the UK called Phoenix that used the very same trick to make it's directors very rich.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Masterful PR tactics

RedHat: Pay us money to run this "free" OS. And swallow systemd and Gnome3 for our sadistic pleasure.

MS: Pay us money to run this proprietary OS.

1. Multivac

You mean "Pay us money for enterprise level support and bug fixing"?

I never got the big hoo-ha about systemd, granted it's not as simple as dropping a bash script in init.d but for anything more complicated than starting up Apache it's a vast improvement.

1. bombastic bob Silver badge
          Unhappy

RH asks money for support. But last I checked, Fedora is still free.

And to get rid of systemd, how about Devuan? [works for me]

I really hate it when FUD is so obviously FUD.

10. RonWheeler

Stop re-enabling 'fast startup' MS

Every other sodding patch seems to re-enable the 'feature' which does nothing on 2 of my 4 machines except cause bad hangs at boot. If I go into an advanced menu and deselect something like that MS, I did it for a reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Stop re-enabling 'fast startup' MS

Fast Startup is a hybrid sleep function. If you want to disable it permanently, you will need to change your S3 state to off, and another other deep sleep function to off in your bios. Not an ideal solution for all, but then again windows 10 doesn't give us a lot of options for permanent solutions.

2. joed

Re: Stop re-enabling 'fast startup' MS

check "BIOS". If the feature is disabled in there, OS won't be able to use it. I'd uncheck "OS optimized defaults" in particular (to restore normal shutdown and startup behavior).

11. YARR
    WTF?

It's 2018 and...

storage devices aren't hardware abstracted.

How is it even possible for a software update to break one specific storage device? If a custom interface is required, shouldn't this be the domain of software drivers provided by the manufacturer, rather than Microsoft?

1. jelabarre59

Re: It's 2018 and...

storage devices aren't hardware abstracted.

If they DID abstract them, the performance would be more crap than it already is.

12. DJSpuddyLizard

Forever...

I just updated my Windows 7 laptop to WIn 10, and now it seems to take about 20 minutes to Restart.

That's for the shutting-down part, not the starting-up part.

13. Hstubbe

Forced to use win10 at work. I love it, especially how it crashes once a week. It really makes you train those ctrl-s muscles.

14. Portio

Windows 10 updates have managed to break my HP laptop's webcam, screen brightness buttons and print to PDF function. Windows really is a mess

1. Geoffrey W

Are you sure you didn't update to Linux by mistake? Sounds like some of my adventures in Linus Land.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. David Roberts
    Trollface

Fall edition?

Still waiting for a few weeks without another major bug report before turning on my only W10 system and allowing it to update. Will this happen before the Fall Edition hits the streets/fan?

17. Valerion

Have they fixed the other issue?

The one that seemed to totally bork computers that had Avast or AVG on them when the latest Win10 update was applied?

My mother-in-law's laptop is sitting, utterly useless, in my house whilst I wait for MS to get a fix out for that one.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like