back to article TalkTalk plans to sell family B2B jewel to Daisy Group for £175m

Beleaguered telco TalkTalk has swung to a net loss of £79m in preliminary results for fiscal '18 ended 31 March, and is preparing to saw off its B2B division in a planned £175m sale to Daisy Group. The loss was attributed to the costs of implementing a £119m turnaround and restructure plan that included ditching its MVNO …

1. Cynical Shopper
    Joke

leaving Talk Talk to concentrate on selling broadband services

Stick to what you're good at, eh?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: leaving Talk Talk to concentrate on selling broadband services

Selling, yes, providing, open for a very short debate.

2. Norman Nescio Silver badge

Short-termism

As far as I know (which isn't very far, to be fair), Talk Talk's wholesale/B2B business was at least competent, and their offering was/is used by other ISPs (A&AISP being one). Selling off the part of your business that is competent, while retaining the part for which you are known for being crap at strikes me as a short-term proposition to raise money, usually described as 'selling the family silver'. I expect the direct to consumer business will be sold, or life-boated once the money has run out (again) to someone else in the not too distant future.

I'm a satisfied customer of A&AISP, others are very happy with Zen. They do cost more, but this is one case where it is true that spending more gets you a better quality service, rather than just being ripped off for more money.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Short-termism

>Talk Talk's wholesale/B2B business was at least competent

Maybe, a long, long time ago. It certainly wasn't when we used it. But then, neither is Daisy so it's a perfect Marriage of Fail.

3. Anonymous South African Coward Bronze badge

And use the money for what exactly?

4. Crisp

Ah Good old Daisy!

Expect line speeds to plummet. Along with customer satisfaction.

I'm not sure what's worse. Their glassdoor reviews or their isp reviews.

1. AndrueC Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Ah Good old Daisy!

Expect line speeds to plummet.

Why? I suppose that it might result in LLU ADSL customers being moved back onto BT's DSLAMs but there's no particular reason to think their line cards are any worse than TT's. Given that BT would prolly have to buy more line cards to increase capacity it might actually mean a slight increase in line speed due to more modern chipsets and/or 'younger' electronics. As for those on VDSL nothing will change because all ISPs are using openreach owned DSLAMs in the roadside cabinets.

Now if you actually mean that throughput speeds will drop then that's possible. Or at least it's possible that throughput at peak times might be worse. If the business is not doing well the ISP might not be able to maintain bandwidth availability resulting in increased contention at peak times.

5. Daniel Bower

Broadband providers I’ll never use...

1/ TalkTalk

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TFTFY

"leaving TalkTalk to concentrate on fucking up broadband services"

7. PhilBuk

Shafting?

"Matt Howett, analyst at Assembly, said there were some early signs that a turnaround was under way, with the firm shifting its focus consumers."

I read that as "shafting focus consumers."

Phil.

1. David Roberts
      Windows

Re: Shafting?

Focus consumers? That is what they do now. Completely focus up.

8. Mr_Happy

If you think TalkTalk customer service is bad, you haven't seen anything until you have to talk to Daisy

9. Linker3000

Clarification

*EBITDA (Talk Talk)

Earnings Before IT Disaster Again

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

They're not selling the Wholesale business just the Direct b2b customers

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon