back to article Zuckerberg gets a night off: Much-hyped Euro grilling was all smoke, absolutely no heat

The European stop on Mark Zuckerberg’s Facebook apology tour on Tuesday amounted to little more than a live read-out of Facebook’s well-rehearsed platitudes and tired PR lines. The format of the session at the European Parliament meant that the embattled boss of the data-slurping biz effectively got a night off, being allowed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“You’ve raised a lot of important questions,” Zuck said

Teflon Suckerberg - Nothing sticks to him, nothing shakes him. This data Nazi can walk on water. In future Data Concentration-Camps, Zuck will say the children were curious & wanted to see the inside of the ovens!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Be afraid, be very afraid!

Why do this, why not retire Mark? 60 billion has to go a long way. Why risk destroying your monster...??? - You think this is all just about PR and your troubles all simply going to go away. Not even Sillycon Valley lives in that kind of bubble.

Facebook lock-in is soft. So you could lose everything.... If advertisers desert you, your monster will die and Google will gain. But the fact that you lie like a pro and won't retire, can only mean one thing... You have something far darker waiting for the world. To the rest of us, I say be afraid, be very afraid!

1. Mark 85

Re: Be afraid, be very afraid!

Why do this, why not retire Mark?

I don't believe money is the issue, it's power. He's already mentioned possibly getting into politics. He plays the poltics like an old seasoned pro. His view of the world is that it's filled with "dumb f**ks". I daresay, he is concerned about any appearance in the UK as from what 's been in the press, they won't stand for being BS'd. Yes, do be afraid.... he's still young and learning the craft... the very dark craft of politics.

2. ToddRundgrensUtopia

An utter waste of time. Thank god we leaving this useful political edifice.

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge

Not a complete waste. The MEPs will all be able to claim their expenses, so a successful day for them.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"The MEPs will all be able to claim their expenses, so a successful day for them."

It was good to see Farage turn up and do his job for once. It's a pity he didn't give the same effort in his job of working in the fisheries section of the EU though. But he got paid either way so he's not complaining, well, not about the money anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"It was good to see Farage turn up and do his job for once."

Farage only turns up if there's a chance he'll be on camera. The media whore.

1. Hans 1
            Windows

Farage only turns up if there's a chance he'll be on camera. The media whore.

Well, actually, he turned up to complain about the "censorship" of "fake news" which led to his page losing 25% of traffic. Selfish, as usual ...

By the way, the French bloke that came after the Nigel was from the National Front, complaining about the banning of his "alt-right" neo-nazi mates from Génération Identitaire.

Defend Europe crowdfunded more than $178,000 to charter a ship in the Mediterranean. Its intention was ferry any rescued migrants back to Africa, observe any incursions by other NGO ships into Libyan waters and report them to the Libyan coastguard. In the event, the ship chartered by Génération Identitaire suffered an engine failure, and had to be rescued by a ship from one of the NGOs rescuing migrants.

Icon, cause he mentioned his mate Tramp as well...

2. macjules

It was good to see Farage turn up and do his job for once.

Just amazed that he and his wretched party managed to get into the parliament building without fighting each other.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

We could always put our questions on the side of a bus?

1. wolfetone Silver badge

"We could always put our questions on the side of a bus?"

Don't be a fool.

You can only stick promises you don't mean to keep on the side of buses. Not actual questions.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You can only stick promises you don't mean to keep on the side of buses

Ah, so that's where Zuck will put his answers, you mean?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"An utter waste of time. Thank god we leaving this useful political edifice."

Remind us, did Zuckerberg take up the invitation to attend the parliamentary select committee ,,, ?

4. nsld

"An utter waste of time. Thank god we leaving this useful political edifice."

I was hoping google translate could turn 'kipper' into English but no luck...............

3. Christian Berger

To bad they didn't let Sonneborn have a go

For example he once asked Günter Öttinger some questions, and asked him to answer in English:

This is Öttinger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2Pz4naZPs

Those are the questions, turn on subtitles, they work decently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsbV3fGe4eU

4. handle bars

Typical mess caused by the "too big too work" over reaching EU structures. Too wide a spectrum of interests end up being watered down to some ineffective blandness. The EU questioning becomes as toothless as the Swiss Army, it exists but it will never take sides. That is why the EU only has an effect in the rules it passes not in anything it debates.

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Typical mess caused by the "too big too work" over reaching EU structures.

That exists and is very prevalent especially in Eu foreign policy.

Though the questioning becomes as toothless. Ever heard the phrase "Berlusconi stooge"? The questions debacle has more to do with that than any fundamental Eu failing (of which there are a quite a few).

In any case - the political section of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwxWyJU1WY4 has some excellent extra illustrations.

2. Lars Silver badge
      Happy

"That is why the EU only has an effect in the rules it passes not in anything it debates.".

Yes indeed, rules and laws are needed, nasty or less nasty questions by whoever, where ever will make no difference. However, this applies to any country or jurisdiction not only to the EU.

The debates are needed to agree on rules as the EU is not a system run by a one party government with a toothless, if loud opposition.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

the EU is not a system run by a one party government with a toothless, if loud opposition.

True. It's run by a civil service, with a toothless and loud parliament.

1. Mike Pellatt

(The EU) is run by a civil service, with a toothless and loud parliament.

Whereas the UK is....

1. sabroni Silver badge

So Zuckerberg doesn't even bother to turn up for the UK parliament and the stooge he sent was just as useless but this is still an example of how our parliament is better than the EUs?

Do a logic!

5. Voland's right hand Silver badge

President of the European Parliament, and mastermind of the session, Antonio Tajani

What do you want from a "Made by Berlusconi" product? I had some hopes for this session as some of the people present and willing to grill him were on the level to do so (Green and SD). However looks like Zucki has had it all pre-arranged.

6. chivo243 Silver badge
    Meh

Nothing to see here, move along

just a dog and pony show, and a pretty flaccid one at that.

7. Pascal Monett Silver badge

Well isn't that just great

How can we expect multinationals to fear the law if the highest bodies are totally incapable of imposing any sort of respect, let alone fear ?

Zuckerberg can only end his tour absolutely convinced that there is no more problem, that he handled the situation fine, that everything is going to go back to normal.

Absolutely no one has even tried to put the fear of God in him if he didn't mend his ways. Nobody has shouted in anger at his question-dodging. IIRC, there's only one person who even remarked that his "answers" have been heard before.

With grilling sessions like that your steak is staying raw.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Well isn't that just great

Absolutely no one has even tried to put the fear of God in him if he didn't mend his ways.

Because he refused to meet with anyone who might, hence he'll meet with the EU but not with the UK.

Still, he probably expects God to be more afraid of Facebook than the reverse.

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

It's a marathon not a sprint.

It's was quite an achievement of the parliament to get Zuckerberg to turn up at all. He, and his lawyers, almost certainly wouldn't have agreed to attend any kind of adversial quesitioning so a hearing was all that was possible. It was the same with the US Senate except there the questions were much worse.

For Zuckerberg it was supposed to be a bit of PR (not that the users of Facebook, WhatsApp or Instagram seem to mind but the investors do) which he failed by dodging the bigger questions. What counts legally are the written answers that will be submitted by Facebook's legal team. Yes, they will have time to prepare them but they will also be legally binding and this was the aim of the hearing: Facebook has at least to some degree accepted the jurisdiction of the European Parliament.

While the parliament has its fair share of layabouts on expense accounts (Italian MEPs are fabulously well paid it turns out) it has also an impressive track record of expanding its oversight remit and has increasingly been able to distance itself from the relevant national governments, as we saw for example with roaming charges and more recently with environmental legislation.

Italian MEPs are fabulously well paid it turns out

Not any more. Italian MPs are fabulously well paid, and any MEPs elected before 2009 can still get the same salary as an MP, but since 2009 all MEPs elected now get the same, around €100K/year

The unelected commissioners, though, get paid around €270K + allowances per year. That indicates how the commission sees their relative values...

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

Thanks for the update on Italian MEPs.

The unelected commissioners, though, get paid around €270K + allowances per year.

Unelected in the same way that the head of the civil service, the BBC, OfCom, etc. are unelected and probably remunerated about the same. Actually, inasmuch as the European Parliament gets a say on the commissioners, it could be argued that they are more accountable than QUANGO heads: I don't remember parliament getting a vote when the government decides which job to give to Sir Willoughby Todd Hunter-Brown!

The problem with the European Commission is less the manner of appointment or the level of pay, than the need for every country to have one and the stupid redundancy and horse-trading and patronage that goes on as a result. I'd much rather have good bureaucrats than the ex-politicians who've dominated recent intakes. 12 - 15 is probably sufficient and there should be a strict rotation principle, as there is with the ECB board and other similar bodies.

2. Mike Pellatt

.....as we saw for example with roaming charges and more recently with environmental legislation.

To say nothing of getting Microsoft to cough up the necessary docs to properly interoperate with AD. Which neither the US government nor the UK government managed to achieve.

Not that that gov.UK could be arsed to do anything about it

3. JohnFen

"He, and his lawyers, almost certainly wouldn't have agreed to attend any kind of adversial quesitioning so a hearing was all that was possible."

But this just made the parliament look ineffectual. They would have been much better off to stick to the plan of grilling him and making a lot of hay over his refusal to turn up rather than letting Zuckerberg make them into fools.

3. Headley_Grange Silver badge

"How can we expect multinationals to fear the law if the highest bodies are totally incapable of imposing any sort of respect, let alone fear"

I know I'm beginning to sound like a two-bob watch, but which laws have Facebook broken?

Regarding respect: as far as I can tell Facebook hasn't broken any laws, so Zuck's position is that he's dragged across the Atlantic to face a grilling from people who are pissed off at what he's done, even though he hasn't broken any of the laws that these same people made. How can you respect a bunch of people who whinge at what you do but won't (or can't) change the law to get the behaviours they seem to want?

If governments want to deal with Facebook they can, easily, by passing laws. If this had happened in China or Russia or Saudi then Zuck would have been on the first flight over with a completely redesigned product in his hipster backpack pausing only to take an immersion course in advanced grovelling. (I know it's banned in China)

Dragging people in front of committees to explain why they didn't comply with with a set of standards which governments think should apply but haven't got the bollocks or democratic mandate to pass into law is a rank waste of time.

1. JohnFen

It's not clear to me whether or not Facebook has broken any laws. This needs to be investigated.

But I take serious exception to the notion that if it's legal, then it's right and nobody should be taken to task for doing it.

1. Headley_Grange Silver badge

@JohnFen - I agree with you that being legal and right might be different things. The difficulty comes down to who decides. In theory the law is straightforward - you either comply or not and if you don't you're sanctioned. I know it's not that simple in practice, but at least the law is written down and I can check it before I do stuff to make sure I don't end up using hairy soap.

Defining what's "right" is a whole different ball game. You and I might think that FB has done some bad things which affect privacy, rights and could even impact democracy and the future prosperity of the country and for that FB should be punished (I do think this, by the way). However, I probably wouldn't have to make much effort to find a bunch of people who couldn't care less about what FB has done and would be outraged at the thought of losing access to the service and benefits they get from using it.

Who's right? Who gets to decide to block FB at the Great Wall of Outrage? And once they've done with FB what happens when they move on to a law-abiding activity that I enjoy but others find objectionable.

When I had a proper job we used to get annual ethics training about accepting gifts, etc. We played games, had facilitated discussions and were lectured at, before sitting an exam. But for most of us non-psychopaths it was easy; if what you're doing isn't something you'd be happy to tell your folks about while sitting round the table over Sunday dinner then it's probably not ethical. You know when you're doing bad stuff.

1. JohnFen

"The difficulty comes down to who decides."

That's not hard at all. When it comes to things legal, most nations have very clear delineations about who gets to decide what is and isn't legal.

My problem with your assertion that legislative bodies shouldn't be asking questions of companies because the companies are engaging in activities that are legal effectively neuters the ability of those bodies to determine whether or not those activities should continue to be legal.

So, just because Facebook may not be (or might, we don't know know) violating any laws in no way means that legislative bodies shouldn't be asking those companies very hard questions.

In terms of what's right and wrong, we each decide for ourselves, intentionally or not. I conduct my life according to what I think is right and wrong, and I decide who to associate with and what companies to do business with by the same "rules". As do you.

Although I would be completely overjoyed were Facebook to go out of business, I am not amongst those who call for blocking them in the absence of lawbreaking. I think that investigating them (and the other companies like them) is an excellent idea, though, so that we can determine if new laws are needed, or if they are violating existing laws.

4. }{amis}{
      Joke

As a big fan of blue steak, any cow that is not still mooing is overcooked!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Did anyone really except anything different?

The entire European project is set up to make things as smooth and easy as possible for megacorps and the banks to take control of the lives and destiny of over 500 million citizens.

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3fs-public/thumbnails/image/2011/11/17/23/Pg-12-eurozone-graphic.jpg?w968h681

That's what ever close political union brings (read United States of Europe) and that's why the sensible majority voted leave in the EU referendum.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Did anyone really except anything different?

Not sure about the anti-EU rant, but the sentiment is right, what did anyone expect?

It's just a kind of corporate naughty step where he gets told off for a bit and then goes back to the playground.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Not sure about the anti-EU rant, but the sentiment is right, what did anyone expect?

The rant was to counter the oft-held notion that the EU is some glorious club fighting tirelessly for the rights of the little man.

1. Teiwaz

The rant was to counter the oft-held notion that the EU is some glorious club fighting tirelessly for the rights of the little man.

Hardly, but still think everyone in the UK would be better off in than out.

Checks and Balances as the Americans (U.S) like to say. The U.K gov (or all of Europe) least likes Europe, be it EHCR EU or ECJ sticking it's continental nose in.

How it must gall them that their 'Snoopers' legislation keeps getting declared illegal and them having to actually do something about it, when clearly the United Kingdom is worth three United Europes. [where's the sarcasm icon].

The Italians used to like Europe as they thought it kept their politicians in line, we're about to learn the same lesson soon enough - I give it twenty years, if that.

How it must gall them that their 'Snoopers' legislation keeps getting declared illegal

And that's by the British courts! Mind you other governments are just as shitty: the Bavarian government is pushing through warrantless surveillance. Fortunately, it's almost certain that this will also be struck down by the constitution.

We really need a scapegoat icon for commentards who favour whataboutery…

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

How it must gall them that their 'Snoopers' legislation keeps getting declared illegal and them having to actually do something about it, when clearly the United Kingdom is worth three United Europes. [where's the sarcasm icon].

You've got a lot more chance of getting something objectionable like the Snoopers charter overturned at the national level than you do a piece of EU-wide legislation. We know where our MPs live and we can vote them out. Not so easy with unaccountable and unelected faceless Brussels bureaucrats that meet in secret.* The EU has been designed very carefully to shield the decision-makers as much as possible from the great unwashed masses. It is the antithesis of a democratic organisation.

* - MEPs don't count. The European Parliament is a powerless talking shop - a theatrical sideshow.

Stop

The EU has been designed very carefully to shield the decision-makers as much as possible from the great unwashed masses.

Cock. NFT

2. Charlie Clark Silver badge

The bodies of the EU don't always work in concert: the Council favours national interests and champions; the Commission has to enable the single market; only the Parliament acts as a control and does have a reasonable track record here, when it can resist the dual yokes of national governments and populists.

9. Dr Who

Playground bullies

This bodes well for GDPR - not. The smaller you are the harder they'll hit you.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Playground bullies

The MEP are not the ones in charge of enforcing laws, only voting them - and that part they've done already.

While I understand the disappointment at not having questions answered properly, I'm not sure what to think of it all.

What would have been a good result, according to Rebecca and the commenters? Mark groveling on the floor to beg for forgiveness? Him getting his checkbook out or a suitcase of cash? Public flogging? However nice it sounds, would it do more to actually fix the problems than what just happened?

However we and the media love good spectacle, it's not what brings justice and fair use of our data. What will is GDPR enforcement, with fines if needed - and that's not a 70 minutes Q&A, that's months or years of investigation and due process, because we also like the Rule of Law. Don't we?

10. Hans 1
    Paris Hilton

You give him the choice and he buries himself. He did not answer the questions, everybody can see this ... and the EU is thinking about breaking up facebook, starts to look bloody.

Note that those who blame the EU should listen to the conservative MEP from the UK who asked a few dull questions ...

11. Headley_Grange Silver badge

Pub Fight

This Governments vs Facebook thing is a bit like a fight in pub. There are two types in my experience:

A: two blokes face up to each other, there's a bit of pushing and a lot of talking. Bugger all happens and both blokes leave the pub knowing they won.

B: two blokes face up to each other, one talks a lot, the other one says bugger all. Then the quiet one lands two decent punches out of the blue and the noisy one goes down like a sack of spuds. Both blokes leave the pub knowing who won.

We're witnessing situation A. We need B.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Pub Fight

We're witnessing situation A. We need B.

Unfortunately Zuck is the quiet one...

2. John Lilburne

Re: Pub Fight

Just chuck Zuck down an oubliette, and tell Trump that Russia was all Zuck's fault. Job done.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

“I’ll use the remainder of time to get through as many as I can.”

While I hate the guy, I must say trained well he has been, the young Zuckerberg. That said, it can't have been difficult, to sit through an hour of mostly farting, all you need is nose and ear plugs.

p.s. did they threaten to write him a follow-up letter, to show how outraged they are? Well, never mind, bet they're pleased anyway, because their personal rating have gone up by 0.5%. Or so they PAs have told them. Hurrah for democracy, hurrah for privacy :/

13. Wolfclaw
    FAIL

MEP's granstabnding and being told wht to do by FB, no wonder the UK want to leave this corrupt and inept organisation.

1. DJO Silver badge

Z turned up for the EU, tiny solo UK is an irrellevance and can be safely ignored. I presume that's what you mean.

Z turned up for the EU, tiny solo UK is an irrellevance and can be safely ignored.

So he turns up to meet the blustering bag of wind knowing that he has nothing to worry about, but avoids the chat with the apparently harmless little guy who might just land an embarassing punch or two?

14. ToddRundgrensUtopia

I thought the Senate "interrogation" was crap, but this EU parliament fiasco was worse. Don't you think Tanjani is an FB believer?

15. Winkypop Silver badge

PR

Stage managed fluff for the news cycle.

16. MJI Silver badge

Perhaps we need to

Block Faccebook in the national firewall for a day.

Watch FB panic then

1. mrdalliard
      WTF?

Re: Perhaps we need to

>>Block Faccebook in the national firewall for a day.

>>Watch FB panic then

Really? Is that what you think will happen? I would suggest it wouldn't panic at all.

If the UK blocked FB at a national level (not that this would be remotely possible unless we had a great-wall-of-China-esque setup), then I suspect we'd get more outcry from the UK masses who were unable to post pictures of their dinner, Jimmy's first day at school and watch cat videos.

Facebook keeps the proles mindlessly entertained - and they knows it. Blocking it would only ensure the company and the UK populace could play the victim. Most people genuinely don't care about what Facebook has done. We are a minority.

1. Teiwaz

watch cat videos.

The others might be, but that's certainly not a Facebook exclusive.

Cats have more sense than be restricted to one medium, they've a better marketing board, only humans are stupid enough to allow one corp to monopolise their communication channels.

2. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Childcatcher

Watch Facaebook's Advertisers panic then

There fixed it for you.

3. Camilla Smythe

I refer you to my previous suggestion...

https://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/3501752

I have checked my Sky Broadband Shield and it does give me the opportunity to manually enter specific domains into a list that will be blocked for me. Of course that is still a pain in the arse but would/should be simple for the ISP to set up for general use.

Put a "Block Facebook" checkbox on the main setup page, unchecked so you have to opt-in. Supply an explanation to make things even more GDPR compliant.

People who do not have a Facebook account or do not wish to take part in Mr Zuckerbergs shadow tracking sign in, check the box, update and sign out. Bye bye Mr Zuck and a big chunk of his advertising revenue.

Sorry Zuck. Don't want to answer questions or change your behaviour. Tough. Oh by the way the new service is permanent.

Oh... and before someone pipes up about all of their Firefox plug ins and host file expertise the exercise is not for you. It is for the average user who does not have your foo-bar prowess.

Otherwise no outrage because people make the choice for themselves. At a pinch he might moan about being singled out... why not do the same to Google and the others?

Tough

First they came for Facebook and Facebook did nothing.

Then they came for Google and Google did nothing.

-

-

-

Then they came for me but I had paid attention and used the opportunity to set up a truly compliant, transparent and privacy centric set of services.

4. Wolfclaw

Just a day, permantelty, people may actually starting interacting again on a personal level.

17. Toilet Duk

The CIA's frontman gets away with it again.

18. ds33d8977JH3%3£1
    Trollface

Criminals run the world

Criminals run the world, this show is just part of the Bread & Circus that's been going on since before Roman times, in fact probably since at least the ancient Egyptians or Babylonians, my history is not that great.

We do live in a system that keeps us busy in a myriad of ways, question is, how many of you spend your time doing what you want to do? Or do you keep falling for what your rulers want you to do, yanking your chain is just one of the methods to keep you busy, ya'll know.

19. codejunky Silver badge

Ha

If I can find a bored hour I might consider watching it for the amusement. As for those wondering why he went to the EU but not UK it is because the UK is in the EU. We have given away this job as we gave the job of trade to the EU. There is no use in crying that the UK is seen as irrelevant when we have handed off the authority to the EU.

And what did the EU expect to happen? Zuck provides a service chosen by a large portion of the worlds population while the EU is becoming less popular as time goes on through various member countries.

It is funny watching the comments though so out comes the popcorn.

1. Teiwaz

Re: Ha

There is no use in crying that the UK is seen as irrelevant

Be even more irrelevant when it stands alone.

1. codejunky Silver badge
        Trollface

@ Teiwaz

Aww didums. Show me on this map where the UK hurt you.

1. Teiwaz

@ Teiwaz

Aww didums. Show me on this map where the UK hurt you.

I've this pain in the neck I'd like to go away.....

Joke

I've this pain in the neck I'd like to go away.....

Time for a necksit?

20. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Translation..

MEP Waste time.

In other news Water is Wet.

21. JohnFen

My analysis

Zuckerberg and Facebook are scumbags.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like