back to article We've found it! A cloud-and-AI angle on the royal wedding

The wedding of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will be brought to the world with the help of cloudy machine learning. As AWS’ video processing limb Elemental recently revealed, “A video feed from an outside broadcast van located near St. George’s Chapel will capture faces of arriving guests and feed the signal to an AWS …

1. Phil Kingston

THIS is what AI, machine-learning and cloud is for!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Yep, the uppers classes and brain dead celebrity spotters.

1. Lyndon Hills 1

the uppers classes and brain dead celebrity spotters.

Are the celebrity spotters comparitively brain-dead due to them not taking enough uppers?

2. macjules
      Facepalm

If they are using the Met's AFR system then we should expect to see at least 2% success rate!

2. The Original Steve
    Pint

Bravo

See above / ------->

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well one face it won't be capturing is her dads.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

or his come to think of it.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Is James Hewitt even invited?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Well, I don't care much about that royal wedding. But, the divorce should be epic. Already there are several solid hints of the Miss Markle family being even more colourful than that of Sara Fergusson.

4. Bill M

Bet it won't ID me correctly

But there again I am not famous and ain't been invited.

1. JetSetJim
      Pint

Re: Bet it won't ID me correctly

I can't wait for it to inevitably mis-identify people in an hilarious way (perhaps now is a good time for the visitors to the area to invest in print-outs of celebrity heads to crowd-source this), cos obviously I'll be watching the coverage avidly and not enjoying the (currently forecast) nice weather.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This wedding has plenty of IT angles and general privacy questions such as El Reg normally covers if you want to spend a few moments thinking about it.

Think about the known limitations of the emergency services IT kit and how that might affect any event like this.

Think about the other publicised events going on in Windsor that weekend.

Think about the number of people attending. And when they'll turn up.

Look at the pressure groups who have promised to disrupt the event.

6. smudge
    Happy

...details about their connection to the royal couple with on-screen captions and graphics...

I think we need a graphic for "shagged by Harry"!

7. monty75

Hopefully more accurate than the cops' system

Although accidentally arrested 90% of the wedding party would certainly liven the occasion up a bit

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Hopefully more accurate than the cops' system

Ooh! Could be very awkward if the racial profiling subroutines kick in.

8. Korev Silver badge
    Stop

I'll raise you

I see that and raise you the the Harry and Meghan swimming costumes. Mind bleach maybe required (especially if you wonder where his chin is)...

1. smudge

Re: I'll raise you

(especially if you wonder where his chin is)...

...or if that's a dimple in his chin...

2. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: I'll raise you

"(especially if you wonder where his chin is)..."

Ooh! It tickles!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Now that

you have your story, please promise not to mention the fucking wedding anymore.

Absolutely fed up to the back teeth with this shit.

An antiquated, archaic system that should be disbanded.

1. Dr. G. Freeman
      Joke

Re: Now that

" An antiquated, archaic system that should be disbanded."

I agree, but the wedding industry makes millions.

So do jewellers when you forget the anniversary. Again.

2. 's water music

Absolutely fed up to the back teeth with this shit.

An antiquated, archaic system that should be disbanded.

Hang on. I based much of my IT career on antiquated, archaic system[s] that should be disbanded. Although, to be fair, some days I am also Absolutely fed up to the back teeth with this [that] shit

3. Fred Dibnah

But thanks for the reminder to go somewhere with no internet, phone, radio or TV coverage this Saturday. A nice walk in the hills beckons.

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

@Fred Dibnah

Huge drop in number of royal wedding street parties compared to Will and Kate's big day

At the moment, Glasgow has no Street Parties booked for the day.

Elsewhere, however, one local government source told The Independent: “It may be that no-one gives a s**t."

icon: Harry's Apache Helicopter

1. smudge
          Happy

At the moment, Glasgow has no Street Parties booked for the day.

And, as the referenced article says, it had none in 2011 either.

Proud to be Scottish :)

10. Cuddles

Accuracy?

I wonder if it's as good as the facial recognition system the police use? Representative quote - "staggeringly inaccurate".

1. Fruit and Nutcase Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Re: Accuracy?

Perhaps the Police should use the AWS system

Is Paris invited to the Wedding?

11. Ben1892

I hope it's as good as / based on Syncopaticaption - might even get me watching the wedding https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONWNWBoqTuM

12. Aladdin Sane
    Trollface

Former colony?

13. sebt27
    FAIL

"feed the signal to an AWS Elemental Live small form factor appliance located nearby for real-time ingest to an entirely cloud-based workflow.”

This, children, is what you'll sound like if you generate all your speech by "ingesting" bollox and putting it through an "entirely cloud-based workflow". Don't do it. It's not big and not clever.

14. Herring`

I'm looking forward to the lawsuits when it mis-identifies people as famous sex offenders or Nazi war criminals (I'm sure none of them were related to the royal family)

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Royal Wedding.

A "Royal Wedding" would require "Royalty", these people aren't of royal blood so no royal wedding.

16. Aodhhan

To be expected...

This is England... where everyone is on video all the time.

Rumor has it, if you are captured on video not watching the royal wedding festivities, you will be placed on the terror watch list. There is an exemption for those who were on a cricket pitch.

Not only is facial recognition being done, but they are also using software which does lip reading.

So those who appear to be pro-Brexit will also be put on a permanent watch list. Due to the limited amount of software licenses for this, it will only be used on cameras in middle to lower income areas.

Rich, elitists everywhere are exempt from any sort of camera spying technology, as long as they are against Brexit--which of course, most are.

Remember the large sunglasses used in the 1970s? Anticipate a widespread return. Soon, many in England may begin to wear burkas.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like