back to article It could be you: National Lottery hands £16m to England's Jodrell Bank

Jodrell Bank is to receive £16.1m in UK lottery and government funding for a gallery dedicated to astronomy. The "First Light at Jodrell Bank" project will seek to promote and celebrate the site's pioneering role in star-gazing. It will receive £12m in lottery funding, a total of £8m in government funding, and is to be built …

1. Blockchain commentard

Dara and Brian will no doubt be wetting themselves with excitement next Stargazing Live.

1. Korev Silver badge
      Stop

Isn't that rather a lot better than someone getting all excited about X-factor or Eastenders?

2. Vulch

May not happen. PBCOBE was out in Australia recently to do a Stargazing Live Australia and mentioned the BBC weren't enthusiastic about more.

2. John H Woods Silver badge

This is fabulous

n/t

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: This is fabulous

I'm just glad that there are so many new scientists coming on that none of this could be used for studentships, scholarships, PhD or post-doc places.

But since the future of British science is assured we can throw some spare money at celebrating the past.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: This is fabulous

On the other hand, it could encourage the students of the future to take up science.

Moreover, don't forget that we need to convince the majority of people* of the worth of science and technology (even if to us it's obvious).

*These people help to pay for it of course

3. AdamT

Logopolis

And who can forget (well, assuming you were alive at the time) its appearance in the final episodes of the Tom Baker Doctor Who era?

Tom Baker, of course, being the best Doctor Who.

(yes, I too will choose to die on this particular hill on this particular issue, if necessary)

1. Aladdin Sane

Re: Logopolis

Unfortunately, you're not likely to regenerate.

2. Jaspa

Then we got Peter Davison. Meh.

1. AdamT

@Jaspa - worse than that, it's also one step closer to Sylvester McCoy ...

4. Korev Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Money transfer

Taking money from the stupid and passing it to the intelligent - isn't that a bit unfair?

1. Pen-y-gors

Re: Money transfer

Shirley that's the whole raison d'etre for the Lottery?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Nothing was "taken" from anybody. The money was freely given.

The fact that it was gambling with from last I recall, odds of 11 million to 1 is irrelevant.

1. A K Stiles
        Coat

Last you recall was possibly the jackpot odds of 14ish million to 1? It's gone up since then! Now it's around 45 million to 1, for a jackpot of 2 to 4 million quid per £2 spend (obviously smaller prizes also pay out on better less bad odds but, you know). It's such rubbish odds that it usually rolls over a couple of times to get to 8 or 9 million (best I can see for the last 6 months was 24 million).

Okay, okay - mine's the one without the lottery ticket in the pocket, thanks.

1. DJO Silver badge

Conversely the many worlds interpretation of quantum theory tells us that on random events new universes spawn to allow for every possible outcome.

So every or any ticket you buy is guaranteed to win the jackpot, that's easy, the hard bit is being in the right universe afterwards. But for every ticket you buy there's a version of you having a great time (or is found dead in the smouldering wreckage of a Ferrari).

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I do agree with the expression tax on the stupid though. That's just insane.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not wanting to be picky

But is that telescope in the photo actually at Jodrell Bank?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Not wanting to be picky

>But is that telescope in the photo actually at Jodrell Bank?

Nope it's at the Mullard Observatory in Cambridge, bloody southerners or more likely tight arse Reg as the stock photo price was cheaper.

2. Electricity_Guy

Re: Not wanting to be picky

I was thinking the same thing.

6. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

I was wondering how the hell £12m lottery funding plus £8m government taxpayer funding added up to £16.1m. The taxpayer share is actually £4m (see link below).

http://www.jodrellbank.net/funding-confirmed-for-spectacular-new-gallery-building-at-jodrell-bank/

7. Andy Livingstone

England's Jodrell Bank?

Really? It is in the UK. England is nothing more than a province of UK. Do try for accuracy, please.

8. Nickckk

Astro

An astronomical amount surely ed?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon