back to article Russian malware harvesting Telegram Desktop creds, chats

Already under attack by Russia's telecommunications regulator, a new source of woe has emerged for crypto-chat app Telegram: malware. In news that won't surprise anybody at all, researchers from Cisco Talos say the malware attacking Telegram's desktop app was written by a Russian speaker. Vitor Ventura and Azim Khodjibaev …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So what?

There are European, American, Chinese, Middle Eastern governments all doing the same thing.

WHY the furore over a Russian doing the same?

More click bait and scaremongering?

1. Voland's right hand Silver badge

Re: So what?

WHY the furore over a Russian doing the same?

Who told you it is government? In fact, most likely it is not. Telegram was (and still is despite the block) used quite extensively in business comms in Russia so you can get your hands on fairly interesting stuff by stealing messages.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

At what point did I mention the Russian government?

My point is that there ARE governments doing the same but an apparently lone Russian doing it warrants this level of attention.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

'cos this one has a YouTube video, natch.

2. FlamingDeath Silver badge

Russia are the appointed bogeyman and as such, they are mentioned in any and every news story that might be negative in some way. I even saw Putin associated with a Flu outbreak, literally the headline read: "Flu pandemic, as dangerous as Putin"

Most people of sound mind can see this for what it is

Unfortunately, we have a lot of people in this country, and the world, who read newspapers, and some, read nothing BUT newspapers, and as you can guess, they are incredibly well-informed about what reality is, their newspaper editor told them so, so it must be true. They don't need to analyse the predigested information, its predigested. No thought necessary, they don't even bother trying to find out, like a headteacher might do when dealing with 2 kids who've been fighting and each blames the other, that would be the sensible thing to do

3. Like Magic

remember Snowball from Animal Farm

2. Prst. V.Jeltz Silver badge

Auto IT malware? good grief!

3. Chris G

If I was considering becoming a malwarista, I think I would learn a bit of Russian, bone up on Russian malware and the relative sites and use NordVPN or similar via it's Russian servers. After that nobody would bother looking for me anywhere else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

'If I was considering becoming a malwarista'

Exactly!

Establish your False-Flag OP before even writing a line of code!

4. Gene Cash Silver badge
    Pint

"Python pogrommer"

A double pint for the headline editor!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like