back to article Family Planning office warns customers private parts may be exposed

The Australian State of New South Wales' reproductive and sexual health organisation Family Planning NSW has advised users of an April 2018 ransomware attack that may have compromised sensitive information. The agency apparently retained web form messages on the public-facing server, meaning if its database was breached, …

1. Blockchain commentard

Since when did ransomware distributors look at what they're encrypting? For one thing, it gives a possible trace back to them rather than just using an anonymous Bitcoin account.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Since when did ransomware distributors look at what they're encrypting? "

Since forever. How do you think say hospitals and police get bills of thousands?

"For one thing, it gives a possible trace back to them rather than just using an anonymous Bitcoin account."

Only if you don't have a clue about anonymity.

2. Mark 85
    Pirate

They attacked but didn't encrypt but demanded a ransom... extortion based on the fear of encryption? That would be a new tactic except I think the Godfather did it first, "Be a real shame if something bad happened."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is why you should always take precautions.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

re: you should always take precautions.

wear a rubber, run a backup system, do as I say, don't do as I do, this sort of thing.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ANZAC day

I thought the Australian equivalent of Remembrance Day was Remembrance Day. This remembers the end of WW1. ANZAC day (which is also observed in numerous pacific islands such as Tonga, Niue and the Cook Islands as well as Aus and.NZ) remembers the start of the Gallipoli campaign.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. MJB7

Re: ANZAC day

However I think Remembrance Day is a comparatively minor event, while ANZAC day is the big day for remembering the dead from wars. As such, I think the description as "the equivalent of Remembrance Day" is fair.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

This doesn't sound like a minor event.

https://www.awm.gov.au/media/press-releases/Memorial-announces-program

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

No Remembrance Day is not really observed in Australia, despite jingoistic governments trying to push it. In some work places they will try to have a minute’s silence, and a few old wankers will do it, but everyone under fifty ignores its and gets on with their lives.

1. Trigonoceps occipitalis

Can this old wanker just say how pleased I am that my parents fought so that you can ignore and get on with your life. No need to thank them.

5. Sgt_Oddball
    Coat

On the plus side...

They came clean about being infected and are actively taking steps to remedy the situation. I'm guessing those affected will get letters telling them to get themselves checked as well?

That said it's always a much better idea to have a barrier between sensitive items since prevention is better than cure.

Mine's the one with the ointment in the pocket..

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

Re: On the plus side...

@Sgt_Oddball

Your moniker seems strangely appropriate for the thread.

1. Korev Silver badge
        Coat

I'm going to have to err Clap

2. Sgt_Oddball

Thanks doctor... the other ones fine...

6. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

The provision in GDPR about not keeping data longer than you need it: there's a reason for that and it's not just to comply with some bureaucratic red tape.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

AU$15,000?

AU$15,000 in Bitcoin? Why in the world would you want AU$13,804? What are you planning to use AU$14,414 for?

8. adam payne

The agency apparently retained web form messages on the public-facing server, meaning if its database was breached, attackers would have access to individuals' messages to Family Planning.

Web form info on a public facing server #captainpicarddoublefacepalm

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like